Vishay vs Takman Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those Dale RN55 range is readily available in the US - shouldn't be a problem getting them ie Digikey, etc

A similar sound to these would be the old Roedestein/Beyschlaggs, available now as "Vishay Beyschlag" range that includes the Melf with the solder end caps instead of wire leads - "Vishay BC Components" is another part and this becomes a bit comfusing these days - these used to be known as Phillips too, PR1, I think for the 1/2W versions.

For a bright, 'non too dull' sound, you could get some Susumi metal films - I think Digikey keeps these or maybe have to get them from Mouser, etc - not expensive at all

Just a suggestion if you are continuing to play about with the 'sound of resistors' - some of these take ages to settle down and sound a bit 'nothing' to begin with, just like some caps.

A similar sound to these would be the old Roedestein/Beyschlaggs

Tech geek raved about these, but not willing to part with even 1 from his stash.
I have to stay focused here,,and will employ Rey's. for the good/bad.
I will report back as soon as Richard makes the mod.

Back to carbon Film,,as i say they indeed offera nice lush /very smooth sound,,but consider the Defy has 12 6550's, tubes all over my components,, doubling up on <<smooth>> makes it too pudding like,,, seemed the tops of freqencies were etched off,,,like it <<blended>> the sound imagey. No I am looking for <<separation>> = which allows a stronger soundstage,,which is exactly what the Takman's in the Defy7 plates res spot, brought back in. = added the <<SLAM>> a quality that was inherent in the Jadis stock resistors.
So I think the Takman Rey's matched Jadis original res, and actually may have opened the higher register a bit more natural = upper range instruments have more vividness, if only a miniscule nuance.
Which is all I am after, as I listen to my 20th C classical, Schnittke, Pettersson, Carter, Webern, Hans Henze((great composer!!!!)) more details can be noted..thats what is behind all these mods/upgrades,,so i can hear more of the actual score that <<might be>>> missed by a stock component,,, and i can acutally now hear tiny background notes, missed on pre upgrade listenings.

Once you hear these missed <<magical moments>>> due to voicing of your <<average parts = Jadis is not going to employ 12 M Supreme EVO Goldsilver. 47uf on each 6550 plate>>>>, then its all worth it.
Especially in Schnittke, who offers mystical music which , recording engineers somehow had missed in their studio micing properly,,so a <<hot-rodded_ unit, can actually pick up on at least pieces of these nuances in Schnittke's scores.

Mozartfan: Honestly, after building many, many preamps some w/PRP, some with Dale, some with Takman....sometimes the same ones w/different resistors (I buy resistors depending on where I'm ordering from...if I am making a soniccraft order I'll pick up some PRPs or Takman) the difference between resistors is slim to none.

Like less difference than changes in my mood while listening. Less difference than .5 degrees difference of speaker toe-in. Less difference than having the amp warmed up for an extra hour.

So I usually buy vishay/dale and don't worry about it.

Also, as far as "Made for audio" components go...do you really think these companies have the equipment to manufacturer their own resistors or capacitors or whatever? No, they contract them out to the likes of Vishay or Panasonic or whoever.

Like less difference than changes in my mood while listening. Less difference than .5 degrees difference of speaker toe-in. Less difference than having the amp warmed up for an extra hour.

^^^
speaker teo in,, = snakeoil,,, feet under components = snakeoil. many others as you are aware. Dif 's in res?
.05??
hard to meausre,,, But certianly I can esaily say I did not care for Zfoil/carbon at all in my system .. so .05,,who knows, can't be meausred.
fact still remains in a SENSITIVE system like Jadis + Jadis + Seas Thor + cayin CD17,,all highly sensitive equipment...resistors sound different.
Maybe to you if might be so <<miniscule>>> = borders on snakeoil,, But to my ears it was substantial sonic difference.
WE will all know the results once Richard has all Takman in,,He is only willing to make 1 change at a time,,, this may take some months,,stay tuned,,will post pics at each res swap,,anda honest fair comment...

I agree all components have a different sound. I can hear a change in even 6" of different internal signal wire inside in an amp.

But what I am saying is that the brain can be tricked. And unless you can hear a change back to back it's hard to tell. Sometimes the mood you are in, the lighting in the room, how many beers you drank that day, etc. can all effect perception. Sometimes you like what you are used to, even if the change is for the better. It's a tricky thing.

For example, I would bet that 90% of audiophiles with decent systems prefer their home systems to an expensive system they audition in a store. Why? Your home system is what you are used to. You perceive that as the benchmark.

I agree all components have a different sound. I can hear a change in even 6" of different internal signal wire inside in an amp.

But what I am saying is that the brain can be tricked. And unless you can hear a change back to back it's hard to tell. Sometimes the mood you are in, the lighting in the room, how many beers you drank that day, etc. can all effect perception. Sometimes you like what you are used to, even if the change is for the better. It's a tricky thing.

^^^^
Ok you are I are of similar ideas.
Your observations are quite accurate.
I was not much a believer in<<interconnects>> making much if any dif,,, so I experiemented with solid copper Vborg RCA tips + my tech guy recommended we get this super thick blue wire off sonic craft, he placed the order,,and yes cahrged me extra for <<my time and etc>>>
he chraged me $160 for labor,,total was $300,l sounded like crapo, even the Rat Shak /chienese $2 generics sounded superior,,,I almost gave up,,but then searched and serached ebay,,til i came across<<navships DIY sire>>> as SOON as i saw this wire I know, this might be something special,,and it was.
Now I have all navships 16ga silvercopper Inters + wires inside speaker cabinet 20 ga silver plated copper + all my power cords are viborg copper with navships 16 ga silver copper.
WOW, really nice pop in sonics.
Now as you say,, blind testing each cable/swap,,can I tell Rat Shak or is it navships on the component..???
blaindly, hard to say,, but seeing which is which,,yes I can tell, the navs gives me more color, dynamics, clarity.

Shootouts can be tricky,
We are talking
Nuances
Subtilities
Miniscules
Pops
But for me all mods have made virtual, honest bonifide gains,
Its for real, although that reality can be a slippery slope,,
a few reference cds always helps.

Glad you mentioned even a small section of internal wiring did indded make some gains.
If anyone is interested, navships is working on prjects for me and will posta YT vid once he completes.
I sent him a Vborg power cord ends, he will employ 16 ga silver copper wire..Trust me, no other power cord can touch it,,, Speed, sweetness, pure juice sweetly flowing from wall source to amp/linestgae/cd player.
The Interconnects made a nice size gain, = not miniscule
NAVSHIPS Hifi Interconnects, HIGH FIDELITY - YouTube

here music starts at 5:53
navships silver copper 12 ga speaker cables SUPER HIGH FIDELITY - YouTube

Vishay a company making super high tech Res for all high tech industry = why should anyone believe JUST b/c its highly seccessful in aero space,,, their res should be AS EQUALLY successful in audio???
anyone??
Whereas<<Takman>> set out to make a <neutral> res, <<<MADE FOR AUDIO USE ONLY>>> = Not aero space...how stupid i was.. and my tech totally denies he led me down that wasteful mod,,yet he cashed in $310 to 12 res mod.. ,,I bet alot of you DIYers would love to cash in $310 for a 12 res job...nice easy cash....

But I know you guys havea conscience and want to rest well at night and feel good about how you advise your clients.
Thats why the tech dude does not post here,,,his objective was to try to con me into sucking as much cash from me as possible.
I kinda of felt it all along,, but it was this last Zfoil deal that was the final cheat,,and now i am awake.
peace
out

Vishay a company making super high tech Res for all high tech industry = why should anyone believe JUST b/c its highly seccessful in aero space,,, their res should be AS EQUALLY successful in audio???
anyone??
Whereas<<Takman>> set out to make a <neutral> res, <<<MADE FOR AUDIO USE ONLY>>> = Not aero space...how stupid i was.. and my tech totally denies he led me down that wasteful mod,,yet he cashed in $310 to 12 res mod.. ,,I bet alot of you DIYers would love to cash in $310 for a 12 res job...nice easy cash....

But I know you guys havea conscience and want to rest well at night and feel good about how you advise your clients.
Thats why the tech dude does not post here,,,his objective was to try to con me into sucking as much cash from me as possible.
I kinda of felt it all along,, but it was this last Zfoil deal that was the final cheat,,and now i am awake.
peace
out

While I applaud your experimentation and desire to get the best sound possible, why don’t you just do the work yourself? This is A DIY forum. That was you can decide where the z foils sound good and where they don’t in the circuit. That’s the beauty of DIY. Cheap trial and error.

You should learn to solder.

95% of a preamps’ sound is the topology. 4% the active devices (tubes or sand), 1% passive components. This is a generalization but you get where Iam going with this...

For the $300 you spent on resistors I can build a couple different preamps with different topologies and see what I like best. And the differences will be much more dramatic than swapping some resistors.

In other industries, engineer design product base on specifications. But in audio, not all people want the most accurate sound and everyone have different level of hearing a subtle different. In audio, specification can be very widely different. I think not many engineer learn the relationship between specifications and human perception.

In other industries, engineer design product base on specifications. But in audio, not all people want the most accurate sound and everyone have different level of hearing a subtle different

^^^^
I would agree with,,,well actually is <<most accuracte/high fidelity>> the ideal quest in all our audio mods/upgrades??
I was just listening to Webern/Boulez/DG,,,on my new/used Shanling cd player,,super quiet, realism, textures, <,subtle>>> The stock Shanling would not perform as it did, w/o making all the mods in the Seas Thor xovers, Jadis DPL, Jadis Defy7..
= all upgrades to Munorf silergold caps allowed the Shanling (stock unit) to sing beautifully.
hard to say which will win out, The Cayin CD17 Mark 1 with Tele PCC88 + some Munorf Silvergold caps + Sparksolabs Descrete opams,,,, or the Shanling/post upgrades with Munorf/+ maybe Sparksolabs Descrete opams + a pair of Tele PCC88's.
This is my next project bringing the Shanling up to a higher level of resolution.
Accurate sound is the elusive goal of all hifi enthusiasts.
Mod/upgrade is our journey and can not slep til all is brought to highest level of performance within our budgets.
btw i have to figure out is all 12 opamps in the Shanling are duals, If yes,, , consideration has to be made if these 12 are in the UNbalnaced circuit,, why?
Sparkoslab lists his duals @ $70/each x12...close to what i actully paid for the Shanling.
From this pic,, seems to me
4 opamps are going to the BALANCED outs (tried it, sounds horrible)), and
3 opamps dedicated to the unbalnced/tube outs.
I'm guessing, but i think thats all i need to swap out is the 3 ops right next to the tube.
6moons audio reviews: Underwood HiFi Level-2+ Shanling CD-3000

Years ago, when I was naive, I used to think there may be something in "high end" FUD and sites like 6moons had something to say (I propably just liked the pretty verse and pics), now I find threads like this a strange comfort to the empowerment of learning. Keep up the good work :D

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think not many engineer learn the relationship between specifications and human perception.

You might think that, but I suspect you are horribly wrong and doing a huge disservice to all the professional Engineers out there. High end audio is about selling a dream with quite a few companies with superstar 'designers' who may have no formal electronics training and spend more time on the patter for the marketing blurb that anything linked to engineering. Jadis is a fine example of 'designed by ear' and lapped up by audio reviewers who don't even get their hearing tested...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.