Vishay vs Takman Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK well read Takman's , carefully,, yeah i know, how many labs/how often do labs post promo material which may not be as accurate as so claimed
But here with Takman's promo page, they lets us know just how they arrived at the comp materials that make up the Rey.
Nickle/Chromium/Aluminum.
Other in production resistors are materials such as
Tantalum
Metal Oxide
Carbon
Glass (Corning)
Perhaps others i am not aware.
Here is a discussion of Audio Note's Tant res,, not sure if with Copper caps or Pure silver caps,
<<lower frequencies annoying>> sounds like distortion to me.
I had intentions of ordering the Silver Cap AN's @$55 each, but since the Takman's are dilivering exactly the sound i had no idea i could ever attain to,,, glad I did not experiment with another high qulaity res.
The Vishay Zfoil $550 disaster broke the upgrade budget.
What I was trying to point out about
<<if it can't be measured, then its not real>> concept., Maybe we should re-evaluate that long held opinion by some DIYers.
And if tants vs Rey's can be somehow measured on scopes, the values may be so close as <<miniscule>> ( as a Baton Rouge tech like to say,, he was not a believer in changing any component unless actually proven non functioning,,as all components will perform eactly like another value in caps)
Miniscle difs on scopes/testing equipment, but in actual sonic performance, the nuances are <,significant>> enough to even go as far as blind testing A/B.
Not saying blind testing can always get it right,,,but after knowing well my test cds, I bet I could blind test Carbon res vs Takman , at least 90% of the tests,.. Now with Jadis metal oxide, these perform close to Tkamn Metal REy's to where A/B blind testing may not be so easy..,,But indeed after swapping each res spot in the DPL circuit, I could note a nice gain, although both Jadis metal oxide and Tkamn's voice very close in general characterists, the Tkamn's offer a nicer soundstage, openess, overall super <<fidelity>> which is the goal to all these components upgrades.
p
new orleans
Some feedback on 0.5W AudioNote Tantalum resistors for amp rebuild | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

n some instances coat hanger wire won the poll.

^^^^
interesting
BUt I can say for sure, a ebayer has high tech silver-copper cables which blow away the generic/Radioshak/chinese interconnects , I have navships running in
power cords,
interconnects,
internal speaker wire
speaker wire
His cable wire i bet will stand up to any high price cables.
I was nota believer in high tech cables until i actually heard his cables.
Onlya nuance, but thats all i was after, nuance here, nuance there,, like a domino affect they all begin to work as a team, which has resulted in a all star team.

Could I ask what is 'high tech' about silver plated copper? Silver plated copper has existed since the iron age, and silver plated copper wire is very common.

Out of curiosity, I've just looked up 'Navships' on eBay. They appear to sell:

-Various spools or cuts of ordinary silver plated copper wire in a variety of basic types, many with PTFE insulation, (not a great combination from a triboelectric perspective), and others with ETFE, PVDF (kynar), kapton etc. insulation.
-A few unshielded line-level interconnects made of said, in surprisingly heavy gauges, rather than coaxial type leads designed for the job

I note the 'mil-spec' comments, but the military specification this presumably means they adhere to are not actually stated, so while gladly giving the benefit of the doubt on the wire's antecedents, the bald phrase 'mil-spec' in itself provides no guide as to the nature of the wire and why that is supposed to make it of superior quality for audio purposes. Generally speaking, what the military want is consistency and reliability under demanding conditions.

Last edited:
OK well read Takman's , carefully,, yeah i know, how many labs/how often do labs post promo material which may not be as accurate as so claimed
But here with Takman's promo page, they lets us know just how they arrived at the comp materials that make up the Rey.
Nickle/Chromium/Aluminum.
Other in production resistors are materials such as
Tantalum
Metal Oxide
Carbon
Glass (Corning)
Perhaps others i am not aware.
Here is a discussion of Audio Note's Tant res,, not sure if with Copper caps or Pure silver caps,
<<lower frequencies annoying>> sounds like distortion to me.
I had intentions of ordering the Silver Cap AN's @$55 each, but since the Takman's are dilivering exactly the sound i had no idea i could ever attain to,,, glad I did not experiment with another high qulaity res.
The Vishay Zfoil $550 disaster broke the upgrade budget.
What I was trying to point out about
<<if it can't be measured, then its not real>> concept., Maybe we should re-evaluate that long held opinion by some DIYers.
And if tants vs Rey's can be somehow measured on scopes, the values may be so close as <<miniscule>> ( as a Baton Rouge tech like to say,, he was not a believer in changing any component unless actually proven non functioning,,as all components will perform eactly like another value in caps)
Miniscle difs on scopes/testing equipment, but in actual sonic performance, the nuances are <,significant>> enough to even go as far as blind testing A/B.
Not saying blind testing can always get it right,,,but after knowing well my test cds, I bet I could blind test Carbon res vs Takman , at least 90% of the tests,.. Now with Jadis metal oxide, these perform close to Tkamn Metal REy's to where A/B blind testing may not be so easy..,,But indeed after swapping each res spot in the DPL circuit, I could note a nice gain, although both Jadis metal oxide and Tkamn's voice very close in general characterists, the Tkamn's offer a nicer soundstage, openess, overall super <<fidelity>> which is the goal to all these components upgrades.
p
new orleans
Some feedback on 0.5W AudioNote Tantalum resistors for amp rebuild | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Re: Corning resistors Glass is the substrate with tin oxide(?) as the resistive element. They may be unique as aluminum oxide is usually the substrate

In general, nickel-chromium alloys with varying recipes and processing are very common in film, wire and foil. Vishay foil resistors in particular are a total engineering package in every aspect and the price for Z-foils does threaten to be a budget breaker. I have to use them very selectively, if I can at all, such as in feedback and front end. Or if I can grab some off Ebay (I once got 100 pieces of 2K .01% for $13, they measure consistently dead on with my HP 5.5 DMM and I broke one open to verify construction as foil)

I don't know for certain what tantalum resistors are made of, but surface mount types use tantalum nitride which resist (sorry!) moisture and oxidation; nickel chromium may oxidize in high humidity but are otherwise very stable

You'll find RNR sealed-glass resistors which presumably extremely stable but otherwise are just good quality metal films in an inert gas environment, don't know of any reviews on them, they're often with gold-plated leads

Are we really at 25 pages of this kind of discussion? Yes, high precision resistors are perhaps better when tempco and absolute value matters (LTZ1000 circuits); however a circuit should be designed with tolerance or relative matching in mind. And metal film performs much better in that regard, especially the Vishay V202 foil precision kinds (as an example, for the Volt nuts).

Are we talking about parasitic capacitance, inductance, or what in all of this?

Vishay CMF performs within all measurement bounds in all low-power applications, and RN are great for dangerous situations. Most good quality resistors (Xicon, Vishay, etc.) cannot be measured and don't impart any tonal quality in a proper circuit. Carbon comps are a special case if you're looking for a dr/dv.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.