Vishay vs Takman Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just how special a resistor do you need/can you get for $30 that you cannot get for under $19?

^^^^
Tech demanded he place order as he needs to calculate a few with special part values,,so i let him,,,<<<<Oh came to near $00 parts and MY calculation time/order time,,blahblahblaHHHHH>>>
Be that as it may

^^^ The age old DIY mantra here is solid gold(more often than NOT)

Goes something like this

<<<<You can if you want, spend more on a part,, but you might end up getting less>>>>
This mantra applies specifically to me <<<disaster>>
btw,,he says,,,Oh i thought you were rich,,,yeah I DID HAVE some audio budget,,,now its mostly gone for awhile
Richard Gray told me<<<You are not going to like them>>> I went for it anyway...Now I world with Richard only.
appreciate everyones imput on this topic,,and thatt we keep things civil.

As has been written above, in some circumstances these expensive resistors can make a really good change but this obviously isn't universal.

Just list the values and a photo to show the clean pins and put them up in the 'for sale' area as some people will make a reasonable offer for them so you can recoup some of the $s - and we've learned something from your unfortunate experience too.

Just list the values and a photo to show the clean pins and put them up in the 'for sale' area as some people will make a reasonable offer for them so you can recoup some of the $s - and we've learned something from your unfortunate experience too.

Thnaks
I'll try to find the values.
I'll actaully send them free to anyone who wants them.
Yeah I'll ship WW.
so i'll get the values today and will post here.

and we've learned something from your unfortunate experience too

^^^ Thanks for the kind words..
My main objective,, or lets say my 2nd objective, as obviosuly the principle goal is to tweak out the most musical sonics from highly crafted STOCK components.
That is to say, I am a believer in upgrades as a means of *hot-rodding* (As Adam at Madosiund put it on my Thors new xovers,,although he failed to work out for me, the best parts in each slot, Hot Rodding)), anyway, hopefully when others years down the road go to google <<Vishays Zfoils>> they'll come across this topic, and then decide which difection to go.

Look not only am I offering
the Zfoils (ck Jadis DPL for varois values, til I can get tech to send me values) + I am offering FREE a pair of SEAS THOR xovers wityh HOVLAND caps, both cked ok by Richard Gray.
+ offer a pair of brand new Mundorf Aluminum EVO 2.2 which madiosund put in the tweet section of the Seas Thor xover, i replaced with Silvergold EVO Supreme 2.2uf

So
12 Zfoils varoius values
pair xovers for Thors with flat copper wire soldered to xover points,, all you have to do is solder wires to drivers.
pair of Mundorf Mcap EVO Aluminum Oil, new
Just send me a message., just pay ship,,

Better yet, get a few photos and add them to a new post in the "for Sale" section. They'll stay current there a lot longer with a much wider audience than this particular thread.

I'd suggest a separate post/listing for the passive Xovers and another separate one for the Mcaps too

… just saying...

looks likea member in WA state is about to take the offer.
had my tech never mentioned Vishay,,I'd not considered the zfoils,,,of course he completely denies this as BS.
2nd reason i consider taking on zfoils after tech SUGGESTED. is this YT vid.
You can read my comments in Shawn's vid.
I am waiting for Shawn to respond.

stupid/dumb me, considering z's based on grunge metal music,,where nurances don't exist.
Shawn's selling us snakeoil.
There is no way you can detect any nuances with that style of music.
Metal Film vs Bulk Metal Foil in audio attenuator tube line amp - YouTube

I have built the EXACT same preamp with Dale RN60 and another with Takman REY.

I preferred the Dale. Takman REY are slightly (VERY SLIGHTLY) warmer.

My experience is Takman REY are warm, Dale RN are neutral and PRP are bright. But really, they are all very, very close.

If someone is consideringa dding Zfoils,, at least they might come across my topic,,and reconsider their decision.'

Too bad this wisdom is arriving late for the poor guy who spent thousands on z-foils for his dac :rolleyes:

Attachments

• totaldac vishay.png
    totaldac vishay.png
    888.6 KB · Views: 323

My experience is Takman REY are warm, Dale RN are neutral and PRP are bright. But really, they are all very, very close.

^^^^Excellent info
Just what I needed pre actual mod.
I was not aware of <<<Dale>>>
For me the icy/more detailed the better = I HATE warm..= the colder the better,
Even though as you say, <<miniscule>> and if you make blind test Dale vs Tak Rey,,, maybe a 50% shout the guess would be correct,,, that is unless its on your system + your know your reference cds perfectly...
Looks like I am going to take you up on this
I' will track down Dale..thing is Parts Connection does not carry dale,, and is PC that is my source..so actually I will have to stay with tak,,unless you can provide a source of all values i need.

Too bad this wisdom is arriving late for the poor guy who spent thousands on z-foils for his dac

^^^
wow, a tubeless DAC with Zfoils,,I can not even imagine..
I have a Cayin cd17 with DAC balanced outs,,never used it,,just got a Shanling 30000, has a balanced out interconnect /DAC output.. horrible sound,,,went back tom the 6922 tube unbalnced ,,,yeah close to the cayin...
I am about to mod the Shanling, see if it can beat out my modded Cayin 17.
For me, Digital has to have tube output.
a SS DAC, won;t work for me,

Wisdom based on feelings. Feelings towards little diodes.

^^^
Well actually the tech guy says <<you REALLY should consider Shosky diodes in the Defy7,, yeah this is what you NEED>>>>
I wisely declined.
Has anyone ever noted a swap in diodes made a sonic dif?
My upgrades/mods are near the end.
Spent alot,,worth it?
oh yeah, the Defy7 now sings gorgeous via the Seas world class Excel drivers.

Has anyone ever noted a swap in diodes made a sonic dif?

There must be several dozen threads here, either discussing diode sound or how to minimise it. Several threads about synchronous rectification alone. Not to mention the discussions about various vacuum based rectification strategies.

So, yeah, i would say some people do note significant differences. There must be some explanation behind the hundreds of pages discussing the subject.

That's an interesting and useful data point going straight into my archives, thanks! :)

No experience with the Takman but the RN60 are way too dull and warm for my taste and system.

well come to find out Dale's are Vishay,,I tend to think it this way,,
Vishay has great success in aero/high tech fields,, Does this, should this equate their res are also a success in audio??
whereas,,,,Takman has worked on evolving a res that makes ideal useage in audio.
Takman is for audio, Vishay for aero/high tech INDUSTRY.

You diss experienced Forummembers opinion,but then

I got sucked into spernding
300 parts Tech adds 60 for his ship time,,???
and $250 rfor his install

He ade ou great, he suggested, alsoa YT vid show these as
SUPERIOR
I believed
and now out 550, the sound was flatened and sound like crap
:p
This YTer is selling snakeoil:rolleyes:

There´s a thing called KARMA which might apply here. :cool:

As a side note, snake oil sellers exist and thrive ONLY because there are snake oil buyers :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.