Visaton BG20 impressive mod

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know some really like them but having followed the development of the technology, i heard some of them live, but read many many more papers, AES and other. A driver based on evenly distribited resonances. They have some interesting directivity and dispersion charcteristics made use as overhead tannoys really good.

After NXT went tits up,and the patenbts expired you got Techtonic. Small and round compared to most NXT licenced precursors.

dave

Dave do you remember the guy who applied some sort of glue to certain parts of the cone mainly on TangBand speakers.
I think it was on this forum about 15 to 20 years ago.
The before and after distortion plots looked very good.
If memory serves me right his first name was Mark.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes. Mark MacKenzie. I still have a pair of virgin TB W3-881 where i was going to follow his recipe.

The damar pattern we put on the FE127126e was inspired by his work. A pre-treated FE126e that clearly shows the pattern.

nigel-hall-blue-preTreat-FE.jpg

dave

Scientific proof?
Full set of measurements?

Not proof, but scientific evidence:

Visaton=red_Sica=green.png

Green = Sica 8D1,5CS
Red = Visaton B200
Visaton B200 measured in custom-made OB loudspeaker with two 15" woofers for the low-end.
Sica measured in a cheap plastic PA loudspeaker enclosure, with raised edges and a ton of diffraction above 2 kHz. In spite of that handicap, Sica is better and with more extended frequencies above 10 kHz.

Visaton B200 WF.png

Waterfall diagram of Visaton B200. Ugly, long-lasting resonances, in spite of carefully designed OB loudspeaker.

Sica 8D1,5CS_WFd.png

Waterfall diagram of Sica 8D1,5CS mounted in cheap plastic PA enclosure - much better than Visaton B200, with less resonances and shorter settling time.

Attachments

• Sica 8D1,5CS_WF.png
    Sica 8D1,5CS_WF.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Sica 8D1,5CS_WFc.png
    Sica 8D1,5CS_WFc.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
That is A/ far too broad, and given all the variables and B/ required evidence does not exist since we still don’t know how to evaluate/measure it/everything needed
We know enough to differentiate between bad driver (all fullranges) and good driver (a good number of coaxials)

"please show us science evidence that sports cars are better than sedans”
Sport cars are faster. No need for science evidence - ordinary evidence is enough, just look at the numbers of the speedometer at both cars.

"please show us science evidence that 2 wheels are better than 4”
2-wheel motorbike car can drive between stacked traffic of 4-wheel cars. Scientific evidence? Use your measuring tape to measure width of cars and motorbikes.
But if you can't stand the heat, cold or rain - 4 wheel cars with air conditioning is much better. Also if you have to pick up your wife and 2 children.

"please show us science evidence that PP amps are better than SE”
PP amps can be much more powerful and in general have much smaller distortion. Read any hi-fi magazine which measure amplifiers.

"please show us science evidence that SE amps are better than PP”
This one is false. Read above.

"please show us science evidence that tubes are better than transistors”
False again. Tube amplifiers are worse than transistors. Read any hi-fi magazine which measure amplifiers.

"please show us science evidence that transistors are better than tubes”
This is easy one. Read above.

… vinyl and digital…
Also very easy one. Digital is much better. Read any hi-fi magazine which measure hi-fi equipment.

Last edited:
Does not exixt for any loudspeaker, and even useful data is thin on the ground for most products.
It does exist - see measurements in Audio Science Review and Erin's Audio Corner.
Useful data is based on heavy science evidence. Read AES papers, they will enlight you.

A basik set (far from complete) requires a big anechoic chamber, a spin-o-rama, vibrometer, laser measuring tools, klippel for a start… and then the experience to be able to interpret the results.
Klippel NFS does not need anechoic chamber.
Big chunk of data (Spinorama, etc) is possible with relatively cheap calibrated microphone, good and inexpensive sound card, free REW and free VituixCad. Read this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-spinoramas-with-rew-and-vituixcad.21860/

Yes. Mark MacKenzie. I still have a pair of virgin TB W3-881 where i was going to follow his recipe.

The damar pattern we put on the FE127126e was inspired by his work. A pre-treated FE126e that clearly shows the pattern.

nigel-hall-blue-preTreat-FE.jpg

dave
Thanks Dave, I remember now.
I still got my Fonken enclosure from the FE127
What other speaker would work as substitute in that enclosure?

Wouldn’t trust them as far as i could throw them.
So you don't trust measurements done with Klippel Near Field Scanner system??? The same Klippel NFS system which Harman International use??? And all other companies which care about the sound quality of their loudspeakers? Here is the list: https://www.klippel.de/company/references.html

If you take the scant evidence you posted as having much meaning,
Yes, all evidence I posted have meaning. Read the AES science papers. Or any loudspeaker book for beginners.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So you don't trust measurements done with Klippel Near Field Scanner system???

A basik set (far from complete) requires a big anechoic chamber, a spin-o-rama, vibrometer, laser measuring tools, klippel for a start… and then the experience to be able to interpret the results.

Seems i said the opposite earlier.

A note on your graph:

visaton-red_sica-green-png.1265149

Besides being only an on-axis is shown: 500>1k>2k>4k>8000>16k. About the 5 top octaves. Most of the range of crucial fundementals not shown, and the “problem” areas only the top 2 octaves.

Read the AES science papers

Voraciously. Since 1972.

dave

You are contradicting yourself - you do trust measurements done by Klippel NFS, but you don't trust Audio Science Review and Erin's Audio Corner because they use Klippel NFS?!
Wouldn’t trust them as far as i could throw them.

My graphs show what is the most important - multiple resonances and slow impulse decay of Visaton B200 at 1380 Hz, 2300, 3180, 4000, 5600, 7160, 8700 Hz and 14400 Hz, and dip at 1100 Hz and 12500 Hz. Enough evidence for a bad loudspeaker.
Frequency response below 500 Hz is not shown because there are no problems there.

Last edited: