Very Simple Hybrid Ampifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bump.
I have prepared another board (to be fitted flat with the heatsink), I did some minor changes + added emiter fallower just after VAS. Looks that there is some improvement made. The IMD products are gone, there is only 50/100Hz hum visible from my crap wiring setup :p
I have some meas on my table with wires ect. but for now it looks like bellow.
No problems with bass either, very dynamic clear sound.

I have tryed to drive 2 pairs of LATfets dirrectly from 4,5mA VAS and didnt spotted any issues, squares were very clean without any signs of problems. Those transistors maybe are not the stronges ''horses'' but to drive them is very easy.

I think I must get some more voltage on the rails and try some 2 pairs as a next step.

Valery

To balance the mosfets capactance (RC's) I have used the 470R/330R. Would be correct way or maybe better use the same resistor values at the gates and put some small cap instead (like in Yours TuboSumo amp ??).

THX

BTW
I am listening the Dayton RS125 based monitors and must say this is my first Dayton and it is really awesome speaker !!

Hi Peter,

It's a cool compact hybrid!
As for me, 220pF caps between the gate and the drain of N-channel FETs worked most reliably. However, if it doesn't show any problems with the different gate stopper values - leave it, it's also a viable way of aligning the time constants.

Cheers,
Valery

I have stuffed enclosure with all pcb's psu's etc, so my hybrid is up and running, but it needs a small update, I will have to add a V bias generator to compensate drivers Vbe, becouse I do not like to wait for bias to climb up.
Other than that amp is playing nice enough to bring it back home from the workshop.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 992
  • 345 1.png
    345 1.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 5k.png
    5k.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 1k 13v.png
    1k 13v.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 315
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 945
  • w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 965
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 973
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 977
  • w7.jpg
    w7.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
thimios

And I did tryed the hybrid with the BJT OPS (poor man's slevmaster).
I decided also to make a few changes to make it more classic. So I have removed Hitachi VAS and putted CCS with single transistor VAS instead. I have some work left to do with it but it looks really OK.
I just can not find out why I have so much H2 at the bottom end. Sound is really good for me. The story with latfets in my case is finished anyway.
BJT's are the kings now :D

Attachments

• thd15v2.png
    thd15v2.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 200
  • thd15v.png
    thd15v.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 458
  • vsha mini simple.jpg
    vsha mini simple.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 488
thimios

And I did tryed the hybrid with the BJT OPS (poor man's slevmaster).
I decided also to make a few changes to make it more classic. So I have removed Hitachi VAS and putted CCS with single transistor VAS instead. I have some work left to do with it but it looks really OK.
I just can not find out why I have so much H2 at the bottom end. Sound is really good for me. The story with latfets in my case is finished anyway.
BJT's are the kings now :D
Looking forward for your final version, then i will try built this one:)
BTW nice enclosure!

boyet0173
Thanks
I do not have the vssa anymore so it would be hard to compare the amps.

I have plugged in a hybrid IPS with ecc82 and ecc83 (with small adjustment).
The ips is named VSHA Classic now because there is no any fancy super duper tricks in it.
Everyting is classic/old school/simple. Tube and six transistors soldered together.
The slev rate is around 50V/us, THD is very low and sound is really good.
The IPS is connected to the poor mans slewmaster board :D, it is bit over compensated for some safety reasons (unknown parameters of 12au7 tube).
Soon I will post final board.

Attachments

• IPS.jpg
    IPS.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 306
  • VSHA Classic.jpg
    VSHA Classic.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 296
  • thd 20V.jpg
    thd 20V.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 133
  • IMD18_19k.jpg
    IMD18_19k.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 345k.jpg
    345k.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 1k.jpg
    1k.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 579
  • VSHA Classic schematic.png
    VSHA Classic schematic.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 605
The PCB is ready anyway, there is only left some resistors adjustment.
I will post the boards at the weekend.

Today I was working on third IPS and suprisingly the whole top octave was more smooth/delicate in transistor IPS than tube IPS, looks like good sound have a lot of virables which are not easy to find. I had to try that super fancy VAS :D

Bellow Cliffjumper

Regards
Peter

Attachments

• cliffjumper.jpg
    cliffjumper.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 912
  • schemat.png
    schemat.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 961
  • thd33v.png
    thd33v.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 934
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.