• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Patrick, the "Standby-Mode" only switches off the 230VAC mains voltage on the Soft-Power-On PCB, but it keeps the voltages, needed operate the Pre from a remote-control-unit.
Also: in "Standby-Mode" all relays and the backlight of the LCD are switched off; so the power needed in Standy-Mode is very, very small (<10mA).

Best regards - Rudi

Since I have finished my VCPre I have always had concerns about the channel balance, Tongiht I verified a very simple way to get the channel balance set precisely.

First make sure the VCpre is operating correctly and is functioning like a potentiometer. Mine emulates a potentiometer of about 4K ohm resistance. Next feed a DC voltage to both L and R inputs simultaneously (I used +5V VA from the VCPre test point but you could easily use a battery as well).

Finally connect one DVM probe to the L OUT and the other to the R OUT. Set the DVM for low mV range (say 200mV FS). Then adjust the balance trimpot for zero. You will find this only holds for one attenuation setting of the VCPre But I found that it held fairly close to zero over the range I listen.

This made a huge difference to the spread and precision of my system sound stage. Very happy with the end result! Thanks once again Rudi for you great work!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.