Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Scott
The majority of us all grew up eating protein of all sorts & we’ve never once thought about the slaughtering, the sufferings that goes on etc. I would never have thought that poultry animals could exhibit such human like reactions, just look at the duck in the vid ?

Hi Scott
The majority of us all grew up eating protein of all sorts & we’ve never once thought about the slaughtering, the sufferings that goes on etc. I would never have thought that poultry animals could exhibit such human like reactions, just look at the duck in the vid ?
I'm not sure why you would refer to that as human like. Animals have been around before humans did in this world. Shouldn't it be referred to as animal's survival instinct like reaction when people carry bear spray when go hiking in the wild?

You could be right that most people are disconnected as regards where their meat comes from and how it is raised and slaughtered. Perhaps the ignorance, for whatever reason, is a generational and/or urban thing. A more widespread knowledge can only be a good thing and hopefully bring about a change for the better.

Regards the video, I see idiots behaving idiotically and cruelly whilst being film by idiots. :mad:

scottjoplin,

I suspect the disconnect started to occur during the Industrial Revolution when we were switching from a mostly agrarian society to an industrial one which isolated people from farm life. The finale was the Big-Box grocery store with prepackaged meat. (Mom, where does meat come from? Silly child, it comes from the grocery store. :eek: )

I grew up in a time when my family would slaughter it's own meat. My mother's side of the family was farmers in GA, and they raised hogs and chickens. I was taught to process a chicken, and watched hogs slaughtered and processed. I have never seen a cow slaughtered but I expect the procedure to be the same.

In my fathers family, my Grandfather was a butcher, back in the day when a small town butcher had his own meat locker.

By the time I was 3, I was taught how to fish, and clean the fish. By the time I was 8 I was given a shotgun and taught how to hunt.

I have no qualms about what I eat. I do have problems with "Trophy Hunters" and Poachers.

I notice that no one even mentions the poor plant and the murder of plants for food.
They have feelings too.
Just because they cannot express emotions like we are used to does not mean they do not have them.
Plants get really stressed when you come at them with a knife.

since pain and cognitive ability are associated with a nervous system and plants lack nervous systems, how can they have feelings?

You'll have to tell me. It was your claim about urges. You explain it.
I was asking about your post if there is a difference between "urge" and "day-to-day urge".
You call that an urge, but it isn't. It's like saying we all have the urge to eat maggots or cockroaches. We don't. If we are starving, we might. But it's not a normal day-to-day urge.

Status
Not open for further replies.