Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being obtuse isn't an argument. I know what you meant, you know what I meant. Pretending to have trouble understanding it is silly.
Assuming this is a reply to my post, why would I go through this much effort asking if I already know what you meant? :rolleyes:
I was discussing the "urge" but you injected the term "day-to-day urge". Please clarify what you were trying to say.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
A problem here is that we are more likely to project our feelings into animals which we perceive as more like us, thus, potentially feeding into a speciesist narrative.

Maybe... But the comment I responded to was a duck.... And people often are more attached to fluffy toys or made up animals than anything else....

since pain and cognitive ability are associated with a nervous system and plants lack nervous systems, how can they have feelings?

We really know very little though - we don't even understand our own consciousness, let alone have the capability of deciding what else has such a thing. So, where do we draw the line? Fish? Insects? Plants?

[Caveat - I'm a meat eater, but only from local farm sources where I am well aware of the care taken]

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Please clarify what you were trying to say.
You know perfectly well what I was saying, you simply want to belabor it. It isn't amusing.

You say the urge to eat meat is a suppressed urge. I say it is not, no urge exists in me. There is no urge. I doubt that's unique to me. Make all the counter claims you want, they change nothing.

I should probably stop posting here. 40 years of the same tired old arguments has left me jaded. None of the ideas or arguments are new or unique. It's like posting in a thread about the wonderful sound of silver cables. We've heard it all before, and the arguments don't get any fresher with repetition.

You say the urge to eat meat is a suppressed urge. I say it is not, no urge exists in me. There is no urge. I doubt that's unique to me. Make all the counter claims you want, they change nothing.
Please read carefully before reacting, the following is what I wrote.
"In terms of natural urge, we all have it. Some people don't like raw fish (ahem... seen earlier on this thread) but if they get hungry enough they will have second thought."

The key phrases are "natural urge" and "get hungry enough".

We really know very little though - we don't even understand our own consciousness, let alone have the capability of deciding what else has such a thing. So, where do we draw the line? Fish? Insects? Plants?
This is what I think. The old hippie made some sense to me! :) We don't know is the reality, and when the vegan guy asked him what he should do he wasn't interested in the slightest in telling him :)

You are incorrect, we don't all have it. End of argument.
Assuming that is your response to my post, your opinion becomes the concluding verdict? I would be OK with that if you can cite peer reviewed scientific study supporting your conclusion, which I doubt will be posted.

One of the basic instincts among all living animals is the urge to feed in order to survive.

Let's not upset Barry!

Attachments

• Barry.png
    Barry.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 96
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Assuming that is your response to my post, your opinion becomes the concluding verdict?
Poor argument. Obviously not everyone has the urge, as all you had to do was post that to immediately find someone who does not. If it was so easy to find someone without the urge, what does that say?

Anyway, it's an old argument - just another of many. Sorry to be harsh, but your claim is stale and somewhat insulting. As I said, I've been around all these same old arguments for years, and have gotten jaded. If you feel these are fresh arguments that you want to pursue, I'm probably not your guy. Too much BTDT

My personal thoughts Gents, at the end of the day, we should just respect the choices that every individual makes, after all we all have different thoughts, different up bringing, different cultures etc. Where to draw the line you say, I for one am not sure cause there’s bound to be lots of different views & contradictions. Me being Chinese, if I were to look into vegetarians, I too would have lots of questions & doubts

Cheers

This is what I think. The old hippie made some sense to me! :) We don't know is the reality, and when the vegan guy asked him what he should do he wasn't interested in the slightest in telling him :)

I am guessing the vegan bloke must have walked , ridden a bicycle and paddled a canoe to that country to hand out samples because flying there would have certainly negated any of his planet saving gains from being vegan.And if he did ride a bike or walk how many creatures did he squash on the way?
And maybe accidentally bashed several squid and jellyfish to death with his paddle too!

Last edited:
I notice that no one even mentions the poor plant and the murder of plants for food.
They have feelings too.
Just because they cannot express emotions like we are used to does not mean they do not have them.
Plants get really stressed when you come at them with a knife.

Yes for sure plants have feelings.

As proven in labs many times over and over, they 'faint' in their own way knowing the time has arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.