Variation on the JC-2 preamplifier

JC-2 clone new up dates:

:D :D

Attachments

• rimg0208a.jpg
    rimg0208a.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,921
Hi Tom,
thank you for your suggestion, I checked the output transistors and they are ok, I check the pins and the layout with their datasheets.

I have a doubt about imput jfet because in the photo here http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/tubeshunter/jcamp1.jpg they seems to be soldered in different position about silk screen...
In the silk screen they are in front but in the photo they are opposite...

Matteo

john curl said:
The parts that I found best were made by RCA and Kertron, both difficult parts to get today. I would recommend a plastic equivalent part pair, today, 40V min breakdown, good Ft, linear beta between 5 and 50ma, power diss. 0.5W min, 2W if you can get it. As I don't use bipolar transistors very often, anymore, I don't have a good recommendation at the moment

JC might those RCAs have been the 40409/40410 with the integral heat sink?

Pete B.

Sorry to revive this old thread from the dead, but I just bought another JC-2 preamp kit from Hong Kong, hopefully as good as the tubehunter's and not too hacked from Mr. Curl's original intention.

JC-2 Preamp kit from eBay seller jims_audio here

I have this lonely Parasound HCA-800II that just needs a mate.

Finished the pre over the weekend. It is great! Started out a tab bright and then settled into a very nice laid back disposition.

Actually loved all those pots and being able to fine tune things. The seller (Jim'saudio) uses other transistors other the KFET/JFET and bias is run higher at 2.5 - 3 volts.

Here is a breadboard pic. Case and other parts are being readied.

Attachments

• DSC00126.JPG
    DSC00126.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 1,232
This is the home I am building the JC-2. May need you all's help coupling those stages properly.

That is an Audio Sector three tone board, Audiowind OPA2134 based phono pre and Rubycon cap loaded power conditioning board.

Attachments

• DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 1,167
  • DSC_0334.jpg
    DSC_0334.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:
Nice project, whaleman! Keep us updated as your project continues.

I'm starting my first diy hifi project soon because I need a preamp for my active monitors. I'm going to use the same kit for preamp as you and include DAC and remote controlling. Maybe I'll include also the tone control kit. How are you going to make the input selection? Where did you buy the transformer and chassis?

Nice project, whaleman! Keep us updated as your project continues.

I'm starting my first diy hifi project soon because I need a preamp for my active monitors. I'm going to use the same kit for preamp as you and include DAC and remote controlling. Maybe I'll include also the tone control kit. How are you going to make the input selection? Where did you buy the transformer and chassis?

Be glad to update.

The project is done for all practical purpose. The JC-2 preamp has met and surpassed all expectation. This is the first preamp that I turned on and after a couple of hours burn-in, I really had to tell myself that I was not listening to a several thousand dollar preamp. It lacks nothing!

The tone board is totally unnecessary and adds nothing for line level use--and I got the wrong pots with it, so in the middle of already drilling holes for it, I had to scrap its use. It may be useful for the phono amp.

I highly recommend the JC-2 kit from eBay seller jims_audio. He is very helpful with questions and seems on top of his audio knowledge and aim.

I will post the part numbers for those interested.

Thanks Mr. Curl for sharing this awesome proven design!

More pictures here: JC-2 Preamp

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Could somebody attach/upload the most recent version schematics of the John Curl phono and pre (line) amps? Any updates added due to parts improvements or substitutions due to manufacturer cessation would be appreciated. If they're the ones attached to the earliest messages, then please let me know.

Nice looking work, Whaleman!

Finished the pre over the weekend. It is great! Started out a tab bright and then settled into a very nice laid back disposition.

Actually loved all those pots and being able to fine tune things. The seller (Jim'saudio) uses other transistors other the KFET/JFET and bias is run higher at 2.5 - 3 volts.

Here is a breadboard pic. Case and other parts are being readied.

Do you have the schematic?

I was interested in the kit, but Jim's Audio refused to provide one. I never buy any eBay clone without having a look at what I'm buying.

What pot did you use and where did you get it?

AFAIK the pot is not in the kit, right?

What regulated supply did you use?