• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum State RTP3C

Hi Vincent,

My PSU has the same values of 10H and 47uF, but I put a 2uF cap before the choke. I tuned the value of this cap to get a 350V output from a 300VAC secondary winding. I suspect that this will have much less overshoot than with your arrangement, but I haven't measured or simulated it.

Unfortunately adding the capacitor will increase the DC output voltage, so this would require you replacing (or rewinding) your power transformer...

Alex

Adding a capacitor before the choke defeats the benefit of a choke input filter.

I want to use polypro caps so I don't want to go to high values.

Polypro caps is an excellent idea, Allen used them in some of his models.
Parallel few and you can get any value you may choose, though LC with C being about 120uF looks like an excellent choice. If the PSU is in separate enclosure, have the last polypro cap in the amp's enclosure.

In either case, don't omit a Shunt Reg., either Allen's or Salas'.

Hi Alex M

I'm agree with Joshua. Why do you use this cap ?

120µF is better (less oscillations) but slower.
I want to use polypro caps so I don't want to go to high values.

Guys, what would your ranking ;-)
Reduce ripple voltage
Have top class caps
Better impulse behavior
Improve dynamanic

Vincent

As I said a page or so ago, I chose that value for the first cap to tune the DC to 350V with the transformer secondary voltage I used, and it has the additional advantage of reducing ripple and choke buzz.

I felt at the time that using a first cap with 1/20 the value of the second counted as essentially still shunt regulated, since it is far below what you would need without the choke.

Just for interest, the 47uF cap I installed originally was a cheap 450V electrolytic. I plan to replace this with an SCR 630V polypropylene within the next few months (mainly for longevity and reliability), but I don't expect a big audible change since it is relatively isolated from the audio circuits by the choke, the second capacitor and the shunt regulator.

Alex

OK Alex, that a good reason.

What transformer and regulator do you use ?

Vincent

My mains transformer and choke were both from Variable Voltage Technology in the UK: a 300V 180mA transformer and a 10H 200mA choke. I note, by the way, that VVT have completely revised their range and no longer sell exactly the same items I bought form them, but still have a very wide selection and my experience dealing with them was very positive.

The regulator was Emile Sprenger's HPHV regulator, which has already been discussed in this forum. If you send me your e-mail address I can send you a copy of the construction manual.

Alex

Hi Craig,

The circuit I sent you should be inserted between the -25V unregulated supply and the emitter resistors of the input stage (which are absent for the standard LOMC configuration, in which case the CCS is connected directly to the emitters).

You measure the voltage across each of the fixed 1K0 resistors in the CCS in turn and adjust the pots in series with these: when the voltage is 9.5 V across both of the resistors, the current through each should be 9.5 mA and the total through the tail of the input stage 19 mA.

Alex

Alex,
Could you please send me the circuit you are referring to in your post answering to Craig?

Thank you,
Evangelos

I am sure there is a simple answer to this, I must be missing something.

Allen writes "the attenuator must maintain the same impedance at all settings - pots are fine but some switches may not be". I would of thought the impedance would change when the resistance of the pot/switch is changed...?

Could someone explain this to me please?

Cheers

Charlie