Vacuum cleaners

Can anyone identify the vacuum cleaner in this picture?

Attachments

• Vacuum Cleaner.jpg
    Vacuum Cleaner.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 151
I've found a larger image of H. Cecil Booth's "Puffing Billy".

It's worthy of a return because Hubert Cecil Booth (1871-1955) was a British engineer who is credited with the invention of the first powered vacuum cleaner at the turn of the 20th century.

Booth's 'Puffing Billy' was powered by an internal combustion engine and was so big it had to be drawn by a horse. It stayed outside the building and pipes entered the rooms to be cleaned via the windows.

His next vacuum cleaner was electrically powered, but it was still too big to enter the buildings.

Booth eventually founded the British Vacuum Cleaner Company (BVCC), the company that actually invented the term 'vacuum cleaner'.

Adendum:

James Murray Spangler (1848-1915) is known as the inventor of the first portable electric vacuum cleaner (patented in 1908).

Attachments

• MultiVac.jpg
    MultiVac.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 117
The Hoover connection:

Spangler did not have the resources to mass-produce his portable electric suction cleaner. He showed the device to his cousin Susan Hoover, who was married to William H. Hoover.

Hoover was a leather goods manufacturer who made horse collars and harnesses and whose trade was diminishing as automobiles slowly gained popularity.

So Hoover bought Spangler's patent in 1908 and the rest is (more) history!

Attachments

• The Hoover.jpg
    The Hoover.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 120
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Did i say we're talking about food robot soon ?

from the www : Piccolo model... I want one :eek:

Mary Waite and her husband Ivor have been using their trusty Piccolo since they got married in 1976.
The plastic and metal gadget is a vacuum cleaner but also functions as a food processor, meat mincer, coffee grinder, polisher, drill and even a compressed air paint sprayer.
It was built in 1925 and has never broken down.
“At Christmas it is constantly being used, either to prepare food or clean up afterwards,” said Mary, 61.

"I pity those people who have to make do with modern gadgets. I would be lost without my Piccolo"
Mary Waite

"I pity those people who have to make do with modern gadgets. I would be lost without my Piccolo"
Mary Waite
The labour-saving device belonged to an aunt of Ivor, 63, and had been promoted as the future of household appliances.
Made by German company Hammelmann Werke, its cost of 20 guineas 88 years ago is the equivalent of £1,000 today.
Mary from Halesowen, West Mids., recently won a competition with the Piccolo to find the oldest working household appliance.

111836.jpg