USSA-5 Build with Review

Soldering issue.

Hi,
I am finishing my build of USSA-5 ... finally :) Maybe strange question, but I will ask anyway. Do you have some special tip or trick on how to solder signal cable to NEUTRIK connector? The ground pin is not the problem but the signal pin is. Alternatively, is there some other way to connect signal wire to the dedicated pin? When I am trying to solder signal wire to signal pin, it just does not adhere properly. Thanks. On the photo, you can see type of connector I am using.
Thanks,
Miroslav

Attachments

• 11891966_800.jpg
    11891966_800.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 226
Do you have some special tip or trick on how to solder signal cable to NEUTRIK connector? ... When I am trying to solder signal wire to signal pin, it just does not adhere properly.

That's strange. I have never had such problems with RCAs, Neutriks included. Since you are fine with the GND lug but not the "hot" pin, which is a bit heavier than the the GND lug, I was thinking your soldering iron might be on the cold side. Can you adjust it to go a bit hotter?

Finished USSA-5.

After a long time, I was finally able to complete fabulous FAB USSA-5 amplifier. First of all, many thanks to FAB, not only for this design and boards, but also for excellent QOS and his willingness always answer the questions, even though they could be asked many times by many members before. Many thanks to other members for sharing their knowledge and inspiration as well. Here you can see some photos of my amp.

Attachments

• IMG-1534.jpg
    IMG-1534.jpg
    969.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG-1535.jpg
    IMG-1535.jpg
    891.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG-1536.jpg
    IMG-1536.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG-1537.jpg
    IMG-1537.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG-1538.jpg
    IMG-1538.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 140
First plastic brick is inrush current limiter. Second stainless steel brick is AC EMI filter (FN2090-10-06 FILTER). I did not implement any speaker protection, mainly because two reasons. I do not want to put anything additional in the signal path. Also did not find any solution which I would like to have (expect XRK SSR speaker protection kit). But if someone could recommend me some really good speaker protection using DC voltage from my PSU I would be grateful.
Well speaking about sound performance, I have listened to it only for maybe 6 hours so far, so I don’t feel confident to make any statements yet. But sound is … 😊😊 … very detailed, there is very clear difference between the tones, voices and instruments (very strong audible distinction where everything got its place) and more nuances are audible as well. When I was listening to Sara Bareilles I almost thought she is whispering straight to my ears 😊
I am using RME ADI-2 FDAC FS for source.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Is this a U4 size case? Thanks

After a long time, I was finally able to complete fabulous FAB USSA-5 amplifier. First of all, many thanks to FAB, not only for this design and boards, but also for excellent QOS and his willingness always answer the questions, even though they could be asked many times by many members before. Many thanks to other members for sharing their knowledge and inspiration as well. Here you can see some photos of my amp.

Also did not find any solution which I would like to have (expect XRK SSR speaker protection kit). But if someone could recommend me some really good speaker protection using DC voltage from my PSU I would be grateful.

The XRK DC protection modules are very good, and there is "nothing" in between the amp and the speakers. The modules are tiny and very easy to use.

Amadeus00,

Bravissimo! Beautiful build.

Regarding speaker protection there are only two I would recommend. XRK's has been mentioned already. But Tom Christiansen's Neurochrome Guardian-86 or Guardian-686 are what I would use in ANY amplifier build. They have been tested on his Modulus 686 amplifier design and they do not increase THD, IMD or change the spectral harmonic measurements at all.

If you don't like them after implementing them, then I will buy them from you...guaranteed.

Best,
Anand.

First plastic brick is inrush current limiter. Second stainless steel brick is AC EMI filter (FN2090-10-06 FILTER). I did not implement any speaker protection, mainly because two reasons. I do not want to put anything additional in the signal path. Also did not find any solution which I would like to have (expect XRK SSR speaker protection kit). But if someone could recommend me some really good speaker protection using DC voltage from my PSU I would be grateful.
Well speaking about sound performance, I have listened to it only for maybe 6 hours so far, so I don’t feel confident to make any statements yet. But sound is … 😊😊 … very detailed, there is very clear difference between the tones, voices and instruments (very strong audible distinction where everything got its place) and more nuances are audible as well. When I was listening to Sara Bareilles I almost thought she is whispering straight to my ears 😊
I am using RME ADI-2 FDAC FS for source.

Amadeus,

Beautiful work! I glad that so many have now built the amp!

Try this one: it supposed to be distortionless, or nearly so.

Guardian-686: High-End Speaker Protection Circuit for DIY Amplifiers – Neurochrome