Upgrading Philips DVD 963 SA

Jon,
Glad to hear from you again, you are always helpful.

I don't know how to check the current firmware version.

Tried to update the firmware but the output still is 480 only... encl. is the procedure what I did.

Burn a CD-R in Mode 2 CDROM-XA ISO9660 which contains the files "xxxxxxxx.xxx" and DOWNLOAD.xxx" only (where xxx and xxxxxxxx.xxx , finalize the CD-R.
1. Switch on the player and wait for initialising to complete
The display will read 'No Disc'.
2. Open the drawer, insert the disc and close the drawer. Do not press 'Play'.
3. The new firmware will load automatically and, when completed, the drawer will open once again.
4. Remove the disc and close the drawer by pushing gently on the front edge. Do not use the 'Close' button.
5. Switch off the power and then switch on again.
Reprogramming is now complete.

Remarks: Having use CDR for the firmware upgrade but my 963 display "disc error" (Already tried to use two difference CD writers to burn this CD but result are the same) Eventually I use DVDR instead, it can pass the above procedure but my 963 seems remain the same situation.

It is possible that you have a non flashable player. According to the old ianc.philips site, the very first players had an eeprom which could'nt be flashed by this method. Possibly philips can do it through other means...

HTH
A8

btw all the most recent firmwares can be found on the french site, including the 'unofficial' 1080i
french video upgrades
just scroll down to 'Les FIRMWARES', the rest is obvious.

to check which firmware you have can be done through the system menu, go to the additional settings (the suitcase icon), select the first option and continue pressing the down arrow key. When arrived at the smart power off feature, pressing once more shows the version

Hi,

I have the service manual for the DVD module assembly SD-4.00SA_CH , also used in the SACD1000 player if anyone is interested.

Can anyone help out with the 30 way FFC connector used at the right hand side of this board ? The plastic locking latch on mine has broken after inserting and removing the ribbon a few times. It's 1mm pitch right-angle (horizontal) with upper contacts. I haven't found a replacement with exactly the same latch and I'd rather fit a new latch than desolder the existing connector if possible - I don't know how the pcb will stand up to desoldering so many contacts and the last thing I want to do is to lift any tracks.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon

I'm very interested in that manual...

Sorry about your connector, it 'll be very difficult to remove the thing I'm afraid. Maybe you can solder a different type of connector with very short wires ? I was thinking about something like an ide connector, should be a lot easier to insert a cable. Backdraw is you'd have to do it on both sides of the flex, so on two pcb's...

A8

Here is the broken connector (latch missing). Desoldering this will be tricky.

Attachments

• brokenconn.jpg
    brokenconn.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 338
My 963SA doesn't respond anymore after putting the plug in. I investigated some in the powersupply and checked the voltages that are suggested in this forum.

They seems to check out when I have the power supply disconnected from the AV module. When I connect the two, the -32V supply drops to 0V !
Any idea's what is the source of this? Is there anyone here with schematics who cares to share them or give some relevant info?

You'd make me a very happy person. :)
Thanks, Olaf

Check if any of the caps have failed short circuit. Check if the resistor measures 10k. C2129 and C2107 are probably most likely.
I have measured the resistance on these spots. And they all measure around 10k. I'm measuring the resistors resistance I guess. The capacitor's resistances are probably a factor higher, or not?

I do not know where the C2129 is located...