Upgrading Philips DVD 963 SA

Hi Davechen,

I have experienced 963SA no power like Davechen before. I found out that a diode #6280 BYD33D on SMPS board was dead and SMPS module will not power.
In the normal working, the volage at input of #6280 must be 0 volt and the output voltage of #6280 will be -12V. If this diode is dead, the input voltage will be -12V and its output voltage will be 0 volt.
So you should check at input of voltage of #6280 to see if it's dead or not.

I recently discovered the root cause of the transport noise problem which has been reported by many 963SA users. This problem also bothers me for a long time on top of the ticking noise which I mentioned previously in this thread. The ticking noise was reduced a little bit after I switched to servo firmware 7.12.0, but the tranport noise was still there and I believed it must be a purely mechanical problem.

I did some experiment by finger toughing several places while playing one of the CD which causes the vibration noise. Then I found out if I can stop the vibration at the point where the screw driver points in the attached picture, the noise went away. So I further apply more "Rope caulk" (can be easily found at Walmart here in the US, it's used for window/door sealing purpose) to this joint on my already heavily damped transport. Now pretty much all my CDs play without error and noise.

Regards,
Chris

Attachments

• damp.jpg
    damp.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 482
Impressive

Hi Chris, did you build your own output stage? Care to share the detail of construction? I am just imitating others to modify my 963SA; so far I have swap a bunch of caps with BG and the AD8032 with AD8620. I am happy about the improvement.

I'm very interested to hear what you have done and what improvement you have noticed. Perhaps, I could imitate your work if I could understand and has the technique.

Good job!
WC

Hi WC,

If you go back to post #348 of this thread, I have mentioned all the upgrade/mods done for my player. The analog stage mod was part of the package from www.sacdmods.com
I purchased this player which was already modified by Matthew at sacdmods, please check the following link for what was done with the mod.

http://www.sacdmods.com/LEGACY.htm

I never have a chance to listen to the original 963SA sound, I can't really comment on how much improvement due to sacdmods work. I did found the bass getting more extended and solid after I did more BG cap replacement. Changing the sample rate converter to TI SRC4192 also improves sound stage and the focus of different instruments.

The only player I had chance to compare is Sony XA7ES. The sound from these two play on Red Book CD is basically in the same league except Sony sounds a little bit thicker or more solid, whatever you call it. Playing SACD with 963SA is defintely miles ahead of Sony's CD playback.

I think the CD perfromance of my 963SA should be hard to beat with any $1K player, I found the same circuitry (AD1955 DAC, seperate power supplies for digital and analog circuits, dedicate analog I/V and buffer stage than using opamp) is also used in much more expensive players like Accuphase DP-78, Audionet VIP G2. There are still potenials of this player to reach higher level of performance as to replace the clock module, stack the DACs like Accuphase MDS and add balanced XLR output...

Regards,
Chris

I need a suggestion on replacing the AD8022 opamps in the I/V stage. I have replaced them with TI OPA2822 but the high frequencies now seem a bit shrill. The mid range is incredible though and the bass has tightened.

I am going to bypass some e-caps with film caps to se if this solves the problem.

I had the 8066 in the second part of the output stage and didn't like it that much. I replaced it with 2 opa627 and that was the best upgrade apart from the linear supply.

I was just asking because the ad8022 is vastly different specs wise than any of the other opamps that float around here.

Hi Chris,

The OPA627 is not a drop-in replacement for the 8022 or 8066. They are dual opamps, while the OPA627 is a single one. So you need an adapter to fit two OPA627's on the footprint of a dual opamp. But the highest grade OPA627 is only available in a DIL package, so it's going to be a tricky construction if you want to use those. The AD8620 could be a good alternative, it's a dual opamp that also sounds very good.

Regards,

Ray

Linear power supply

I need advice from those who have implemented a linear power supply for the Op-amp:

What type of relay I should use? Power relay?
What diode I should use to clamp the on/off spike?
If you can suggest those parts from digi-key, that would be really useful. Thanks a lot!

WC

Freezing or Locking up

After 6 weeks of not using the player I decided to fire it up and listen.

After 1.5 Hours is locked up on a regular CD.

I power cycled it and it happened again 5 min. later

I turned on audio direct and that lasted 15 Min.

I turned off upsampling and it's been running for 20 min or so.

It's never done this before (Even after breaking in for 48 Hrs.)

A brief history of mods:

Linear supply for output

Tripple stacked Upsampling chip

2 opa627's on browndog for output

Various blackgates and Muse KZ throughout

Has this happened to anyone?

I didn't encounter your problem so far.

Recently I encounter another problem about SACD playback.
My problem is my 963 can't recognize the Hybrid disc's SACD layer, it can only play the CD layer.

I have another pure SACD disc e.g. Mariah Carey #1's and tried to play at my 963, it can be recongized as a SACD and play it well !?

Is that mean the "Laser Head" reach its life time or become weak? If yes, can I adjust something to increase the "beam"?

Thanks in advance!