'Upgrading’ my tweeters (can I do this?)

closed account
Joined 2022
That's well worth experimenting with.

Can you extract the crossover, tone?, and photograph it for us? We can show you where that padding resistor is if you are uncertain of its location.

thanks man!

I’ll try and do it in the next few days.

i would assume taking out the lower driver would be the best way to it?

it’s the Proac DT8 and is MTM configuration. It’s bottom ported.

I can't see any screws on the terminal plate, Moondog.

Attachments

• ProAc DT8.jpg
    ProAc DT8.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 52
hey man,

have you had any experience with switching the faceplates so I don’t have to drill holes?
it does look like they may be interchangeable from the three inner screws.

thanks
Don’t exchange the faceplates unless the geometry (just around the dome) is exactly equal. Which it’s not, obviously. The smooth top end of the revelator could be ruined by adjusting the little horn these tweeters have. What is so difficult about recessing the tweeter a bit further, it’s quite standard woodworking (assuming you have access to a router)?

Reactions: 1 users
was watching this on where to put the Lpad.

seems like the second and third option is best

That vid is rife with errors.

I would also condone a small cap across the series resistor if there is one, but fore or aft position is likely to still have benefit. I've used them in both physical locations. Usually smaller cap on first resistor and larger on aft due to the induced tilt.

closed account
Joined 2022
Don’t exchange the faceplates unless the geometry (just around the dome) is exactly equal. Which it’s not, obviously. The smooth top end of the revelator could be ruined by adjusting the little horn these tweeters have. What is so difficult about recessing the tweeter a bit further, it’s quite standard woodworking (assuming you have access to a router)?

yeah I figured that would be the case. Thanks man!

closed account
Joined 2022
Crossover pics above

Well here is the crossover
We all meant to have it traced, or at least to have a photo of both sides. However, the crossover is so simple that it seems it consist of a 2nd order electrical order network for the woofers and a 3rd order network for the tweeter, with a resistor before it. The resistor should be logically before the crossover, but it is not easy to trace the connections on the photo, a look on the other side should reveal this easily. In this case it provides the required attenuation, and you can easily swap it with a lower value one, for example 1R, 0R56 or a simple wire for 0R. This way the tweeter will sound brighter.

Ralf

Reactions: 1 user
closed account
Joined 2022
We all meant to have it traced, or at least to have a photo of both sides. However, the crossover is so simple that it seems it consist of a 2nd order electrical order network for the woofers and a 3rd order network for the tweeter, with a resistor before it. The resistor should be logically before the crossover, but it is not easy to trace the connections on the photo, a look on the other side should reveal this easily. In this case it provides the required attenuation, and you can easily swap it with a lower value one, for example 1R, 0R56 or a simple wire for 0R. This way the tweeter will sound brighter.

Ralf
besides making it a touch ‘ brighter’ ( and I mean a touch) I wanted the tweeter to have a faster transient response
why I was hoping the Revelator tweeter with its coated dome and neodymium magnets would give me this.

does that make sense?

and thank you so much for replying !

Last edited: