Unusual amp from 1987

"It doesn't make much sense to use single transistor input (why? to save 50 cents over op-amp?),
and then put op-amp as a servo..."

This structure gives great room for creativity, including applying singleton input. Someone prefer the sound of single tranistor over LTP and opamp, this is why I mentioned that. Two drawbacks need to be solved: low PSRR and offset fluctuations.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Here is sim file for Lomakin/Parshin + LatFets from post #358
Very simple amp - at the cost of LatFets from Exicon.

I happen to have a stash of ECW20N20/ECW20P20 - dual die Exicon Latfets, rated at 200W each (at 25 degrees).
So I guess just 1 pair of these devices should be good for an honest 100W amp, given that proper cooling is used.

Attachments

• lmk_latfet_schematic.png
    lmk_latfet_schematic.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 341
  • radio_1987_09_latfet.asc
    8.2 KB · Views: 79
  • ecw20n20.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
Joined 2014
Paid Member

Maxim, are you saying, LMK amp as described in Radio magazine (as in build from post #87), DOES need this emitter repeater?
If, as you say, output DC voltage on the op-amp is "skewed", what problems it is going to cause?
I don't see why this LMK amp (with latfets) would have better simulated results than Wiederhold amp?

Last edited:
What is 'correct' DC voltage at the output of the amp?
What is 'skewed' DC voltage at the output of the amp?

The one I built (LMK) has 1.1 V at the output of the opamp.

Wiederhold I built, has -1.56 V at the output of the opamp.

In those ancient times, the output stages oramp were mostly low-power and with very low quiescent current, so due to the skew of the ramps, the operational amplifier switched to single-stroke amplification mode.And with a modern oramp, why do you need a constant voltage at the output ?

It will be even better. Anti-clip at least a decent make, and then in the clip at the output of the OU is a very large signal.
Here is a picture, an illustration.
This is the effect of nested OOS.
Anti-clip operation

Attachments

• перегрузка.PNG
    перегрузка.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 209
  • работа антикли&#10.PNG
    работа антикли&#10.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited: