Universal Outboard Power Chassis for Pass

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
decent yes

will you get it cheap or you'll go Kosher route.........

Hammond, as far I know is proper engineering quality work

choose appropriate one and you're good

now, depending of context - remember you can have sort of normal way (one choke per rail) or you can have common choke, which is two windings on one core, covering 2 rails

be it bipolar (plus, minus and GND) or "single rail" (one rail and GND) - you can use common mode choke

in later case just take care where GND is really established

as always, ZM Omni is sayin' - GND is state of mind

Reactions: 1 user
And common mode hence means more noise cancellation, but need more current capability I presume. Will dig into it a bit. Thank you ad always MZM! Will be interesting to see what PSUD shows wrt inductance values etc and voltage requirements for the tranny. I believe that everyone should build an Aleph, and a choke input supply. At some point at least :rofl:

Another question: have you ever built and used a choke input supply, and is it worth it?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did and it is worthy, well

Anyhow - what's most beneficial is to keep eyes open and brain ready, so you can spot little tiny details in anything of reach, then you can think of

majority will be total and utter waste of time, be it really not useful to anything of your interest or simply way above your head

but with time, level of your ignorance is going to slightly decrease, thus level of possibly useful details is going to increase

I'm pretty much in Mu state - my ignorance is on exact level with anything I see around so I can't use anything :rofl:

search for NEM AI-50 in Solid state forum

Motor run caps, or film caps, anything from 10uF to 70-ish, is wise in a power supply. Perhaps even more so in the old days, with higher ESR caps, but still relevant.

Why speaker protection? Is DC and bias stable? Then consider yourself married, not needing protection :devily:

I did and it is worthy, well

Anyhow - what's most beneficial is to keep eyes open and brain ready, so you can spot little tiny details in anything of reach, then you can think of

majority will be total and utter waste of time, be it really not useful to anything of your interest or simply way above your head

but with time, level of your ignorance is going to slightly decrease, thus level of possibly useful details is going to increase

I'm pretty much in Mu state - my ignorance is on exact level with anything I see around so I can't use anything :rofl:

search for NEM AI-50 in Solid state forum
Yes, still a lot to learn, and building something like that will surely be good learning. A bonus is more transformer efficiency, right? And less or same need for snubbers?

Last edited:
decent yes

will you get it cheap or you'll go Kosher route.........

Hammond, as far I know is proper engineering quality work
https://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/193P?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv126LJFLh8y53dgS8LHwrHqfS2zjDUDPY=

Something like this? Haven’t modelled it yet so dunno if inductance level is way off or not, but asking principally.

5H @ 500mA but no graphs for inductance at final load current, but most FW constructions will pull that amount pretty quickly, which is a bit important so there is less need for very overrated caps and most important to get above the critical level.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yeah

img_20220221_130217-jpg.1044535