ultra low noise psu from China

That's good, what design is it?

The original chinese reg can be improved: making the triple darlington into a double and biasing its driving transistor with some current (via a resistor) ; also the 10µF cap across the TL431 doesn't do anything so it goes away. This won't change the TL431 noise but it gets better PSRR.

View attachment 951007
that looks interesting!!!, may try it, those measurements are very good..
:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
When the layout is fine you will be pleased and make sure it gets enough cooling. When satisfied send the guys there a recommendation for a 1 or (even better) 3A TO220 7 pin version :D

Before I forget, also suitable till 36V. They are allowed to give it a name with a "X" in it, call it "for audio" and charge the double price. I would buy the LT3046 Evolution X "for audio" without blinking an eye :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
FWIW I judge both to be cream of the crop and in my PSU's the TPS7A4700 measures worse (as in : still very good) but sounds better... I should not say this as it is common in wrong circles to judge by ear and IMO often the most distorting stuff is then preferred but it was something I noticed anyway. Both are superior to anything I tried before except for discrete solutions in high(er) power designs. Even LM723 based dinosaurs in high(er) power designs are quite OK but they're not uLDO of course. My experiments with LM723 are not over yet as it can compete with 99% of SMPS in audio and is superior still.

Nice thing of TPS7A4700 is that it does do 36V 1A. Both IC's offer close to the max in current uLDO technology and haven't been beat by any switcher in whatever form with whatever guru filter in my setup. After many many tests I discarded all SMPS that I have either built or polished and haven't looked back. Even if one can get them silent at the output there is still the input section polluting mains voltage...

Last edited:
also the 10µF cap across the TL431 doesn't do anything so it goes away. This won't change the TL431 noise but it gets better PSRR.
The 10u guarantee stability according to the TI data sheet.

Attachments

• Auswahl_001.png
    Auswahl_001.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
As said, for some reason it sounds a very small tad better. Both my test winners in max. 25VA range are still here and I can not decide which one to keep. I know the LT3045 measures absolute best. As many audio guys only have their ears to judge I had the PSU's tested by them and they also preferred the TPS7A4700 (FWIW, thin ice etc.).

Last edited:
As said, for some reason it sounds a very small tad better. Both my test winners in max. 25VA range are still here and I can not decide which one to keep. I know the LT3045 measures absolute best. As many audio guys only have their ears to judge I had the PSU's tested by them and they also preferred the TPS7A4700 (FWIW, thin ice etc.).

Is one of these regs in 3-pin module form factor?

i Did try TPS7A4700 instead of my tweaked Chinese supply with tl431 and the noise/ripple is much lower with TPS7A4700 but the sound isn't as good as with tl431.
what I mean by 'not as good ...it seems to be flatter and not in terms of being less 3D but it's a little lifeless and it lacks the energy I get with tl431.
definitely measures better.
I will have to try the suggested tl432 design.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well, an important parameter of an excellent DC power supply is a straight thin line of perfect DC (amongst the other relevant parameters). Any design that has ripple and more noise should not be taken into account and not be judged by ear. Such a PSU has lost the race without even having driven. Ears are not the instruments for that. Besides that it may take time to get accustomed to a better PSU when the old one had clearly visible ripple/noise that may modulate things in the device it feeds.

In my case both PSU's output a straight line as that is a pretty important parameter for a DC PSU :) but they do sound differently. I can not explain why it is like it is.

Is one of these regs in 3-pin module form factor?

No I forced some to behave like that. It is a trade off however often for better cooling. TO220 and TO247 are IMO effective formats for getting rid of excess heat. To be honest I would rather choose a bit more noisy reg in TO220/TO247 format than a better one that is SMD and needs much copper (in my experience then electrolytic caps are also heated etc.)

Why? practically most modern uLDO regulators of today are way less noisy than SMPS anyway and often there is a small SMPS following IN the device (bummer).

Last edited: