ultimate speaker cable design diy

Status
Not open for further replies.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The physics of cables is well understood since at least 60 years ago. The dynamic of audiophile brain-wallet-hand coordination and its affect on the ear brain system is much less well understood, but susceptible to sleazy manipulation by technical-sounding advertising, superlatives and other such tomfoolery.

BEST. POST. EVER!!!

:) :) :)

It's about time threads/ discussions about cables got put in the same category as politics and religion ie not permitted :)

I agree. :D

Interesting idea. It relates to the whole debate about whether certain things should be unsayable, or whether they should be allowed to be debated so their foolishness can be exposed to all. (Or, if they turn out to be right, their wisdom will be grasped by all). I would prefer a world where audio enthusiasts know enough about electronics to not be fooled by cable myths and legends. Also, banning cable nonsense would remove a good source of humour for many of us.

New to this community after lurking for a couple years. Anyway I read, on maybe, the second page something about braiding cat 5 cable for use as speaker cable. I have been using a set I made using four lengths of cat6 per speaker, two for each positive and two for them neg. I do remember measuring the capacitance back when I made them and found it to be a bit higher than general 2 wire cable. So I have noticed that I think the only reason I have kept using them for so long is cause it took me a while to make them. Now I find myself feeling I get better results just using some 10ga 2 wire cable. Basically I thought I found a secret to some different universe of sound, when in all actuality I'm right back at square one and feel I'm happier with the 2 wire.

As for the OP, question about several wires in separate sheathes (cat 5 or 6), I honestly find it to lack in bass and just a little dull or flat in general. Not worth my effort anyway.

Cole

I understand and appreciate the prohibition on politics & religion; and there are other places (Hydrogen etc) for those who need a break from the subjective bloviating. I can't see a ban on that stuff working out very well around these parts. Besides, there are still quite a few members here with the abundance of patience and knowledge to maybe persuade someone to see the light from time to time.

- Jim (more than I got, that's for sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.