ultimate source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Working so far. I will do LCD string modification and some testing.
4x5 inch, 155g(with battery)

Attachments

• started.JPG
    started.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 689
A couple of questions if I may :

a) What are you using for U7 & U8 ? I presume Clock Fan Out & D Flip Flop ?
b) What are the pruposes of SW1 & SW9 ?
c) If I were to use VFD display, what level shifter would you suggest to interface with 5V TTL ? Maxim level shifter ICs ?

And a suggestion for 2x16 Display :

1st Line "D01 Discname T02"
2nd Line "Filename S 00:00"

D01 = Disc (CD, Directory) no. 01
T02 = Track no. 02
Filename = Song title
00:00 = Time played
S = space (so that it shows up as 3x spaces in DIYA), or status (play, FF, RW, Pause, ....)
Probably one character short for proper status display.

What do you think ?

Patrick

Last edited:
so are these boards available? i'm very interested in building a couple. 1 for my ackodac so to have a source internal for fun and to see if having the transport very close to the dac presents an improvement due to less jitter/time distortions. and the second one I would love to incorporate into a portable PCM1794A dac/powered by SSR01 reg (battery power) with OPA1632 opamp and discrete smd diamond buffer.

this is something of a dream for me to be able to carry a one box player/dac/amp with fully differential operation with balanced output via ODU micro connectors driving my custom IEMs (JH13) balanced on the go. I already have a 3 box portable solution with DAP/DAC/AMP that sounds fantastic, but its a bit inconvenient. there is a mod I can do to my cowon X5L which will give me i2s output with a 64gb SD card; which I could use with a portable dac (modded with the smd buffer for output)_ but that is still a 2 box solution. there was a design to add a daughter-board to the X5L, but there was no PCB's for sale after this was promissed, so I am now looking for something superior to tinker with. perhaps even add a sabre 9012, some big'ol LiPo4 batteries for juice, like 4 aftermarket cameron sino LiPo4 iphone 3gs batteries in series ;)

Last edited:
so are these boards available? i'm very interested in building a couple. 1 for my ackodac so to have a source internal for fun and to see if having the transport very close to the dac presents an improvement due to less jitter/time distortions. and the second one I would love to incorporate into a portable PCM1794A dac/powered by SSR01 reg (battery power) with OPA1632 opamp and discrete smd diamond buffer.

this is something of a dream for me to be able to carry a one box player/dac/amp with fully differential operation with balanced output via ODU micro connectors driving my custom IEMs (JH13) balanced on the go. I already have a 3 box portable solution with DAP/DAC/AMP that sounds fantastic, but its a bit inconvenient. there is a mod I can do to my cowon X5L which will give me i2s output with a 64gb SD card; which I could use with a portable dac (modded with the smd buffer for output)_ but that is still a 2 box solution. there was a design to add a daughter-board to the X5L, but there was no PCB's for sale after this was promissed, so I am now looking for something superior to tinker with. perhaps even add a sabre 9012, some big'ol LiPo4 batteries for juice, like 4 aftermarket cameron sino LiPo4 iphone 3gs batteries in series ;)

Id like one :)

Me too!! I WILL make it happen; its just a matter of time. chipping away at the research and most parts are in place, but this little thing would be a nice time saver. the cowon mod for i2s is still an option too; perhaps if I uncased it and installed the whole shebang in a larger hammond case, but I would like to keep it as small as possible. the SSR01/02 super regulators regulating the output of the LiPo4 cells would make for a pretty mean/clean power supply. that is quite manageable and small. so all is needed is the dac layout and player. i'll keep the dac layout as simple as possible. so yeah i'll get there, but its very much a part time project and i'm not so amazing with design for dacs, being used to mainly following others leads. however with the power supply pretty much sorted as well as the output, I just need to patch it all together.

Another question if I may :

What is the play sequence within one CD ?
Does it play according to alphanumeric order, or according to the order the wave files are copied onto the SD card ?
Also, do I have to store all wav filenames as abcdefgh.wav (8+3) or it will just ignore the rest beyond the first 8 letters ?

Thanks,
Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.