Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Juli 2023 Refresh of SBA_SLOB_GUY OB PROJECT in the not too big Home Office room, pics says more than long explanations
Juli-2023-HO-Stereo-Setup-Capture.JPG Juli-2023-HO-Stereo-Setup-L-Capture.JPG Juli-2023-HO-Stereo-Setup-R-Capture.JPG Juli-2023-HO-Stereo-Setup-L-Back-Capture.JPG Juli-2023-HO-Stereo-Setup-R-Back-Capture.JPG
The waveguide for the 8 inch is used here only like a filler driver between the side mounted 2 X 15 inch kick bass and and the midrange horn with the compression driver - it's a kind of waste but the final setup will be moved to the big room under the roof top later. The cabling is in complete prototype state, this has to be done much better for the final installation.

Reactions: 3 users
PDF for Bitches Brew Live Edge speakers

For those who might be having difficulty with the rendering of pictures in the above post, here is a PDF describing the design.

Perry Marshall
Hey @perrymarshall, I am considering using the W15 driver instead of the SB Audience in my build (because I have two of them). The xmax is a bit higher at 15mm (good for EQ), qts is a bit higher at .79, fs is 27.6, and sensitivity is about the same. Whats your reaction as to how this driver might fit into a the design?

Attachments

• IMG_7481.png
    IMG_7481.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 81
Sensitivity for W15 is actually a good bit lower - 4 ohms and 95dB vs. SB being 8 ohms and 98 dB, so you'll have to compensate for that in your DSP EQ.

Running two of those in parallel would also present a ~2ohm load for your amp. If you wire the coils in series then you've got an 8 ohm system and lose a proportional amount of sensitivity which again you have to compensate for with EQ.

Hi Gents,
Wondering if anyone has auditioned both Supravox 215 RTF & Ems LB8. Originlly was thinking of
FC for wide band mids but feel that it's too much of a hassle hence decided to go with permanant
magnets instead. Would love to hear your thoughts on sound before I decide on which way to go.
Basically the OB that I'll build will include a Coral 3BX super tweeter with acoustic lens.

Thanks

Reactions: 4 users
My latest creation - dipole mid bass for my more or less butchered Magnepan 3.7s. The baffles are 600x1800 mm, and are using the Magnepan to extend the effective baffle width. Drivers are Eminence Delta 12A. I have four of these puppies, for the L and R front speakers, and the L and R surrounds. The centre channel has something similar. Crossover points for the mid bass dipoles are 80 and 450 Hz.

DSP : MiniDSP flex
Amps : Hypex nCore (butchered FusionAmps….)
What happened to you big B&G ribbon / multiple woofer system ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
No worries with Magnepan, since the moving mass of the bass driver is less than 10 grams. The speaker itself weighs about 30 kg.

For my mid bass dipoles I selected drivers with very low Mms. The total moving mass here is less than 140 grams, while the total weight is about 75 kg.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I used a double layer of 19 mm MDF with steel rails for increased stiffness, and some bitumen sheets for a little dampening. It turned out very good, with no audible resonances, and very little vibration can be felt on the baffles themselves.

As mentioned before, the finished speaker weighs about 75 kg. The moving mass of the four Eminence Delta 12B woofers I used is just 128 grams. The 1/125 rule is satisfied :) (1/586)

20230620_191259.jpg

I think some of the trick is to select drivers with low Mms. I do remember trying the opposite, with a Beyma 21" that had 370 grams moving mass. That did not work so well in a small and light baffle.

Reactions: 1 users