Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Just thought I'd post this if someone is looking for a highend DSP solution for mutliway OB's with the convenience of a standalone preamp.

My OB's have been driven by a MiniDSP 4x10HD since I built them a few months ago. I've been looking at upgrading for a while and was researching PC based DSP, but this has challenges in my setup that serves duty as TV, music and turntable input, it needed to be easy for the wife to switch between sources.

I have two questions regarding your OB:
1. It looks like its SEAS 10inch driver for bass- is it enough for low end in your case? I wonder if single 15 inch woofer per side, non-subwoofer driver , will be enough to truly reach high 30s on low end?

2. I see you use two planar drivers - why do you think its the LEAST used type of tweeter driver in OB models? I mean we have many with full ranges, horns, ribbons , AMT or dome tweeters, just not planars -weird.

I think Danny from GRR will slowly make it more popular !

In a lx521 like design, how do we compensate for the 10-12db dipole loss in 150-800hz range without active/DSP crossover?
Im only a newbie in speaker design, but - perhaps with a long U frame also for the mids? aperiodic cabinet for the mids? Zellaton is using such concept - whole back of the cabinet is damped and vented. Some use double 8 inchers for the mids in OB.... but its more expensive than U frame.

You guys are now thinking about only on-axis response. The challenge with OB/dipoles is to maintain similar polar response 0-360 deg and throughtout the spectrum ((or as far low as the designer wants).

Eg. U-baffle works only for narrow range, like any fixed baffle width. This is why a dipole speaker will preferably be 4-way with variable baffle dimensions.

http://www.dipolplus.de/thema2.html
http://musicanddesign.speakerdesign.net/HybridDesignNaO_II.html
https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Sound_field/Field_control.htm#Field Control

Reactions: 2 users
You guys are now thinking about only on-axis response. The challenge with OB/dipoles is to maintain similar polar response 0-360 deg and throughtout the spectrum ((or as far low as the designer wants).
The biggest challenge for me was tweeter. Its size is the limit. Any dipole tweeter i know Is to big in dimensions.All other frequencies not that hard. Of course 4way is the minimum.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest challenge for me was tweeter. Its size is the limit. Any dipole tweeter i know Is to big in dimensions.All other frequencies not that hard. Of course 4way is the minimum.

Yes this is correct, Baffle shape play an important roll in the dispersion of off axis response. My OB's off axis reponse is follows on axis until about 7kHz where the physical size of the tweeter becomes large compared to the wavelength. I spent considerable time trying to improve off axis above 7kHz but alas to no avail. Even so my OB's sound great in room and it doesn't matter where in the room I sit the sound stage is always emanating from behind the speakers.

Reactions: 1 user
I have two questions regarding your OB:
1. It looks like its SEAS 10inch driver for bass- is it enough for low end in your case? I wonder if single 15 inch woofer per side, non-subwoofer driver , will be enough to truly reach high 30s on low end?

2. I see you use two planar drivers - why do you think its the LEAST used type of tweeter driver in OB models? I mean we have many with full ranges, horns, ribbons , AMT or dome tweeters, just not planars -weird.

I think Danny from GRR will slowly make it more popular !

Yes is a 10" Seas subwoofer with huge 30mm excursion and in my smallish room 20x12' there is plenty of bass. I can tell you what type of beater is on the kick drum. I'm listening to music now and I can hear the reverberation in kick drum skin.

I don't know why planar drivers are not used more. Maybe it's to do with cost as they are more expensive than most upper mid and tweeters used by DIYer's.

The planar's were an experiment which has definitely paid off. I have a couple of muso mates and all have commented on how realistic the speakers render instrument spectral accuracy. One of these mates is an audio engineer and used to do mixing for live Jazz bands and another plays trumpet, I also have a piano so I have a good reference for how unamplified instrument sound.

Yes this is correct, Baffle shape play an important roll in the dispersion of off axis response. My OB's off axis reponse is follows on axis until about 7kHz where the physical size of the tweeter becomes large compared to the wavelength. I spent considerable time trying to improve off axis above 7kHz but alas to no avail. Even so my OB's sound great in room and it doesn't matter where in the room I sit the sound stage is always emanating from behind the speakers.
Mine also. Power response peaks at 10khz and a dip after that.
When the speakers are identical output front and back it would be fun listening scenario to put speakers in the midle of the room. So that one can sit on the back of the speaker. So two listeners sitting against each other and both in a sweet spot. Drinking wine and sharing the same experience:) Anybody tried this?

Mine also. Power response peaks at 10khz and a dip after that.
When the speakers are identical output front and back it would be fun listening scenario to put speakers in the midle of the room. So that one can sit on the back of the speaker. So two listeners sitting against each other and both in a sweet spot. Drinking wine and sharing the same experience:) Anybody tried this?

I did this when measuring my speakers, they measured almost the same front and back, the only anomaly was a peak in rear caused by (I suspect) the JBL frame. So I turned the top baffles around and to my ears they sound the same.

IMG_20220829_152550464.jpg

I did this when measuring my speakers, they measured almost the same front and back, the only anomaly was a peak in rear caused by (I suspect) the JBL frame. So I turned the top baffles around and to my ears they sound the same.

View attachment 1085574
Nice build. I have four unused Neo 10, and some Neo 8 and Neo 3PDR. I'm not a user of much EQ'ing, and could never get much out of these as I need, with a shallow roll-off below 300 hertz or so, open baffle.
Ever try the Neo 10s out like this?

Nice build. I have four unused Neo 10, and some Neo 8 and Neo 3PDR. I'm not a user of much EQ'ing, and could never get much out of these as I need, with a shallow roll-off below 300 hertz or so, open baffle.
Ever try the Neo 10s out like this?

When I designed these speakers I couldn't get hold of a Neo10 and a friend who rebuilds JBL drivers gave me the 2251JPL's to try out and they worked so well with the Neo8 I left it alone.

The JBL needed a heap of lowshelf boost to get it flat in the very narrow baffle to the XO of 160Hz, the Neo8 needed some EQ to get it flat to 700Hz, and the Neo3 almost none.

What I like about the Neo's is they are very natural sounding and I suspect this is because the GD between 160Hz and 20kHz is almost dead flat, so instrument harmonics are time aligned with the fundamental.

Reactions: 4 users
RANT ON
I wish people would use this sites image uploader and not off-site storage
I just went back to page one of this sticky and almost all the early images are dead links.
A bit of a pain as I was chasing inspiration on how to use my stash of High Q woofers
RANT OFF

This was a major issue and occurred when Phonobucket changed their policy and people like me deleted our accounts, this broke images in many forums. The image upload in DIY was pretty clunky so a lot of people used sited like PB. The image upload facility in DIY is now pretty good and I notice most use it.