Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

From my own experience lower Q drivers with EQ tend to sound better on open baffle then higer Q drivers. Max output is defined by Sd and Xmax.
When trying to achieve more output adding Sd, as in more drivers, almost always sounds better than adding Xmax. Big woofers with big magnets with lowish moving mass and lots of them, that's the secret sauce in my experience

Real life experiences

I have had very good results with Open Baffles using large light cones no matter the electrical parameters or Xmax of drivers. Very low audible distortion and enough sound pressure to make the listening uncomfortable. Measured sound response very linear to 30 Hz or even lower.

Troels agrees.

OBL11

"First of all: From a visitor hearing the prototype OBL-11s, I can report that these 15" Eminence DeltaLites beat the crap out of Eminence Alpha 15A, which is often referred to in OB connections as being an ideal driver for this application. This was my expectation and what I had hoped for by choosing a fairly low-Qt driver and applying the equalisation step."

Questions about the Open Baffle concept

I am curious as to why the OB discussions often concerns bass and the extension hereof. To my experience it is quite easy to get reasonable bass performance from OB systems. By resonable i mean linear output from 30 Hz or so and dry precise bass with a sensation of live music. I have had OB's with dual 10", 12" and 15". In dipole or ripole configs and all of them have had basically the same bass in different rooms. I have always used MiniDSP with or without room correction and have tried to make as little use of correction as possible.

BTW. I find it much more interesting to dicsuss how it is possible in OB's to avoid what i call midrange smear. To me it seems that when bass is managed correctly the midrange opens up and becomes much more articulate and precise. To me this is the real benefit of OB's along with the airyness of the treble and the soundstaging as deep and wide - which i percieve as the speakers completely disappearing.

Troels agrees.

OBL11

"First of all: From a visitor hearing the prototype OBL-11s, I can report that these 15" Eminence DeltaLites beat the crap out of Eminence Alpha 15A, which is often referred to in OB connections as being an ideal driver for this application. This was my expectation and what I had hoped for by choosing a fairly low-Qt driver and applying the equalisation step."

Interestingly these Deltalites 2515 praised by Troels for bass on a wide baffle is also praised by bushmeister for 150-600Hz baffleless, as well as CharlieLaub also baffleless. Must be a special driver.

Has anybody used Troels' JA8008 in OB? I wonder how much better than my B&C 8PE21 they are.