UGS-muse preamp GB

Guys, are you using 100nF or 100uF caps for decoupling the relais coils on the preamp boards? There is a note in one of the BOMs that 100uF have been tested but the BOM contains the 100nF caps. Appreciated your help. Thanks!
I didn't see a response to this. Searching the threads on the French site didn't reveal alot. Nothing really on the original (non-Muse) thread. Alex posted in the UGS thread: It is not mandatory to change the caps if they are already mounted. It won't make a difference. And the 100uF are much more pricey. And in a previous post: Both are fine. 100uF will limit a bit more any overshoot.

At this point I'm leaning towards going with the 100nf since I have these on hand. I didn't even realize they made 100uf ceramics. I know Ine said he used the 100uf in that forum.

Hi @Pars :)
At this point I'm leaning towards going with the 100nf since I have these on hand. I didn't even realize they made 100uf ceramics. I know Ine said he used the 100uf in that forum.
Wrong, or a missunderstanding ! I used 100nF ,no problem in my pre. Go for it ! The BOM was wrong, intended by Alex was 100uF. But like he said:
Both are fine. 100uF will limit a bit more any overshoot.
Best regards
Ine

I didn't see a response to this. Searching the threads on the French site didn't reveal alot. Nothing really on the original (non-Muse) thread. Alex posted in the UGS thread: It is not mandatory to change the caps if they are already mounted. It won't make a difference. And the 100uF are much more pricey. And in a previous post: Both are fine. 100uF will limit a bit more any overshoot.

Chris, I went with 100nF as well.
In an old message EricD mentioned he is using the same 100nF.

OK, a couple of stupid questions:
  1. What is the Bypass for?
  2. What are the triggers supposed to be used for? Other audio equipment that supports them?
  3. Why 2 outputs? Biamping? Wouldn't a Y cable handle that just as well?
I assume for the triggers, if I don't want or need that I can just leave the board out? I do need a monitor output for a headphone amp, and given somewhat lack of rear panel real estate, am thinking about only having one output and using the other jacks for the monitor.

Thanks!

I just noticed a strange thing, the bypass diodes(D5,D6,D7) that are across the ldos are rated at 10V. If you use 24V power supplies D6 and D7 are ok with 8v across them but not D5 which has 16.7V(24-4(voltage drop across R21)-3.3) on it.
So with the standard 24V supplies D5 needs to be replaced, I use 28V power supplies so I need to replace all of them.
The actual ones are rated at 3A. As you increase the forward current the leakage current increases too so what is a minimum value that can be used for the forward current to protect the ldos?
@schultzsch What diode did you wind up using in yours? The pads for these are tiny. Looking at perhaps a Nexperia PMEG2020 variant or a Diodes Inc. SMD2U20?

Trying to finalize transformer specs, and whether to go 2x6Vac or 2x8Vac. Is there any disadvantage to using LDOs on the Logic Supply card? I know these are limited to 500mA. This is enough for the relays, etc.? If I got the 2x8Vac, and then decided to use LDOs, is heat going to be an issue?
If using the standard TO220 regs on the Logic Supply card, it mentions heatsinking. I haven't seen any pics in either this thread or the homecinema thread showing what users did for this.
Thanks for any advice. I haven't run this on PSU designer.

Attachments

• Img_7438.jpg
    Img_7438.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Thanks for that pic, very helpful. Was that pic from here (diya) or homecinema.fr? It seems that I've read both threads twice (translated from French), as well as some of the UGS AI thread. Hard to wrap your head around how all of this goes together :rolleyes:
I'm going to be ordering parts to complete the preamp cards, Eric D.'s PSU boards, and 4 shunt PSUs this weekend. Quite a PITA these days with parts availability, but fortunately I have the majority of the really hard to get stuff already. Now if I could just find 15mm U channel in the US for the UGS heatsinks. I can find 15mm square tubing, but not sure how well that would work (without shorting something).

Don't remember where I grabbed that pic, it was long time ago not now, might have been from the french site.

I have locally available 15x15x15x2 mm U-profile raw aluminium (15x2mm flat bars as well) and will need to make mine.
It is not 1.5mm like on the plans posted by Ine earlier, but might do the job. Need to take an exact look at the fit. Better for the taps.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2.jpg
    Skjermbilde 2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Skjermbilde.jpg
    Skjermbilde.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 64
As I proceed on the build of these two preamps, some questions:
  1. Do most people use the XP30 input filter? I presume this is for DACs (delta sigma) with some HF outliers? I'm thinking that I will go ahead and use this for mine, I'll have to ask the other guy if he wants that or not.
  2. There appear to be a few resistors right in the signal path that were spec'd as thick films. I much prefer thin film in the signal path, and would have considered doing the whole thing in thin film (preamp boards), but that gets a bit pricey. R48/R49 100R and if I don't use the XP30 input filter, R17/R18 IIRC 0R. There may be more, and of course that depends upon your definition of "in the signal path".
  3. Since I want a monitor or tape out like my Aleph P has, for mine, I'm going to use Output 1 for that, and leave the relays for both Output 1 and 2 out. I'll wire Output 1 to the Bypass relay input, and will hardwire (jumper the relay) the connection for Output 2, since the Sub board runs off of it. I'll redo a rear panel with adjusted labeling of course.
  4. Earth: I noticed Eric D's wiring diagram of connecting Earth to the Preamp boards. I've never seen Earth wired on boards such as this, with no AC on them. It also seems from looking at the schematics, that unless JP3 is in and closed, Earth isn't really doing anything? If it is that important, probably should have put an extra pin on the shunt boards and run it across so you didn't have to split wiring.

After looking at the preamp board schematic some more, it appears that for 3 above (Monitor or Tape), i could populate the relays and simply configure one of the outputs for this using the Bypass relay. I would not be using both the headphone amp and the power amp/speakers simultaneously, so if the software supports it, I could enable Bypass and whichever output I had connected to the headphone amp for headphone listening, or disable Bypass and enable the other output for speaker listening. I'll have to check with @Alex_twn to see if this is supported, or go thru the controller menus myself to check. If not, I can always go back to how I had planned on doing this in 3 above.

So, proposed operation being:
  1. Headphone listening: Bypass relay engaged, Output 1 enabled, Output 2 off
  2. Speaker listening: Bypass relay off, Output 1 off, Output 2 enabled.
Also, I ordered a pair of Toroidy Audio Supreme version, 100VA, 4x24V @0.8A, 2x8V @1A with the mounting plates. Overkill, I know. Will be using the TO220 regs on the Logic Supply board, Salas shunts and Eric D's supply boards.

Yes, bypass does exactly this, bypasses the amp/volume pot and sends the selected input straight to the output, so that a connected home theater processor with its own volume pot can be used (as input) and its output send straight (bypassed UGS) to the main L/R power amps. At least this is how this option was designed, and implemented in the original Pass preamps as well. It is an add-on feature and not meant to replace a tape loop.

In your case, you can connect to the preamps first output (A) your power amp and to the second output (B) your headphone amp.
If you ommit a volume pot in your headamp, there is no need for a bypass. Just select an input, fire up the respective amp and use the UGS volume for volume control. Saves you a volume pot in the headamp :) and maybe a preamp section (and input switching) as well.

In all my amps I have a loop-out which just loops out straight the selected input (like a tape loop but without the in), but unfortunately nothing like this is available in the UGS Muse preamp and I miss this functionality, same as you. Helps daisy chaining amps and comparing them with the same input without Y-splitters, connecting multiple headphone amps, etc.

Last edited: