Trying to improve on a GainCard concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I tied and I just skinned my $70 BGN 1000u (although reluctantly). When I compared the skinning effect ( 4.7u coupling BGN caps) I noticed more smooth and somehow less restricted sound (more efforless), but the difference was rather subtle, so I don't do it that often.

Good..this proves only one thing: our brain/hearing/perception mechanism works in the same/similar way.

Sorry for the slashes...with all the controversy going on lately I'd better cover my behind, I reckoned.

I noticed the same on my gear and the beauty is it doesn't cost a dime.

Thanks,;)

Just wondering if anyone tries those motor run capacitors with gainclone? I know the tube guys like them for power supplies, and I am wondering if it will do anything for the gainclone. Maybe, +/- 24V SLA batteries connected to 12uf Motor run capacitors, with 0.1uf teflon bypass capacitors, for V+ and V-.

I tied and I just skinned my $70 BGN 1000u (although reluctantly). When I compared the skinning effect ( 4.7u coupling BGN caps) I noticed more smooth and somehow less restricted sound (more efforless), but the difference was rather subtle, so I don't do it that often.

Peter,why don't you go further and do what DHTRob shows on his website?
http://www.dhtrob.com/ (go to ENGLISH>PROJECTS>ELNA REBUILD)

Bartek

do you think that'll have a different effect from when he had them jacketed in the teflon block?
zygibajt: Yes,I think so.

zygibajt, i'm sorry, you managed to reply before i deleted my mistake. i'd thought at first you were refering to the simple wood jacket, not the full recasing. my apologies.

your link is quite wonderful. perhaps it can be combined with this one?;)

serious diy

Here's one way to mount the pot, when there is not enough space for it inside the amp;)

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,977
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.