Troels Gravesen The Loudspeaker vs high end speaker

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks Charles for the link, I missed that one :)

Well for the WAF, as say often Linesources, one can putt the bass drivers on both side to make less width front baffle -but deeper cabinet-, though I didn't see such big bass sided designs yet but Bastanis speakers that are open bass design a la Linkwitz. Then with plate amps and delay like TG does with the Loudspeaker I to 3, one could putt the big bass unit down close the front wall and EQ it. I assume 18" are too big to go higher than 100 hz if one don't want to have a disequilibrium in male voices ! Just two cents feeling.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Things have changed since then ( technology)...but yeah with this kind of membrane surface better focus on sub ( below 80hz) than in low mid/ high bass ( and the law of physics have not changed).
That said i repeat if well behaved and as long it doesn't start to beam and follow 1/4 wl ctc.. ;)

Here is an example :

Taipuu Speakers Loudspeakers - Taipuu Speakers

150hz xover iirc. Bms 18" ( same used in TL iirc). Not cheap though ( driver but i'm sure this is the case for the loudspeaker too).

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
2x12" would be a much better approximation in my book ( See LineSource post about B&W). :)
Of course it's based on menbrane surface and it's only one parameter amongst others... it's close...
But it'll sound different.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
imho, more the stifness of the surface... PA is often paper, BW or Focal use more stiff sandwich cone, while damped for the less break ups. Always asked myself about the big 12" aerogel of Audax while measurement is not so good, but had good reviews in the subjective sounding quality... paper is still problematic for bass driver that moves a lot of air (bid drivers of this thread) imo, maybe a myth or a personal feeling, dunno !

@academia for post 26. Nice description of your impressions regarding the Everest and the TQWT. That was the Troels speaker I got into Troels for. With the Audax tweeter, for the money, near the only really good high efficiency speaker I had heard, with bass and a good spectrum but that transmits emotion well. Built one with a friend of mine for an 8 W 300B amp. Ended up biamping to 16 and finally going to 50W PP which improved the bass a lot.

There is a difference to having a front loaded horn and a back loaded horn in the sound. Also maybe talk to Troels if he can advise you on a supertweeterand crossover. Heard a TQWT with supertweeter about a year ago and someone posted doing this on Troels site and it adds quite a bit more air and improves the highs in general.

The thing that lets the TQWT down a little is the tweeter and perceived transparancy. The dynamics and the bass are exceptional, superb PRAT, as well as the emotionality. But you do need a bit of power for the 12" strangely even slightly more for the 10" which does not go as deep. 30W+ make them hit hard.

I expected the Everests to sound good and happy the dealer got the ballance and setup right.

I think I would still prefer a Kendricks 4345 or TL1 and spend the rest on a nice front end;) Actually the one of Troels speakers that intriques me the most is the TL3.

Alright gotta run maybe I will get a chance to read this thread this weekedn.

Cheers

Have anyone compare Troels Gravesen The Loudspeaker 1-3 to a high end speaker from B&W, Sounus faber, JBL?

And if how is the results?

I have not heard that model but i have built a few others of his design, from cheap to expensive.

Not one of them have impressed me.

The top model dtqwt cost me around 2k to build but you can easily buy a speaker for 1k that sounds alot better.

Not many people who spent lots of money and many hours to build their own speakers really wants to tell the truth about them.

I have not heard that model but i have built a few others of his design, from cheap to expensive.

Not one of them have impressed me.

The top model dtqwt cost me around 2k to build but you can easily buy a speaker for 1k that sounds alot better.

Not many people who spent lots of money and many hours to build their own speakers really wants to tell the truth about them.

The top model was DTQWT-12.
It is the one you see in the photograph, I have shared a lot of information with the builder, BioBrian, from Australia, at the time.

DYQWT-12-Brian

I imagine that you have published your impressions in the constructors section of Troels, can you pass us a link?

Attachments

• DTQWT-12-brian-5.jpg
    DTQWT-12-brian-5.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 367