Transistor Preamp

This circuit gave great results. I used NE5532 so compensation is not nessessary. It can be used as a preamp too. The CFB pair gives particualr low distortion with low impedance. I optimised that circuit for my Audeze LX headphone.

Attachments

• NE5532 Headphone Amp.jpg
    NE5532 Headphone Amp.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,081
I really like modern electrolytics, they're small in size, nice and shiny and sound just fine to me - especially those audio bipolar types... In fact these days I use electrolytics where I can and my amps sound super good judging by what others have to say about them. Strangely, I don't use film caps much, bulky, awkward and the pricing of them make me laugh ! For small caps you can't go wrong with a quality C0G.

Last edited:
Not Been Build Yet

Any good small, easy, high fidelity transistorised preamplifier circuit that i can build ? Plan to use it with my DIY power amp. The preamp should be able to accept ipod level input.

Any help would be appreciated.
Not been built yet, but should operate well.

Discrete transistor, Class-A (12mA), Current feedback, gain of 6dB.
Fast & low THD (0.0043% @ 20kHz; 2Vpk; RL 10k; CL 500p)

:)

Attachments

• layout silk.jpg
    layout silk.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 605
  • (cmp) sqrwv 20k.jpg
    (cmp) sqrwv 20k.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 861
  • (cmp) AC.jpg
    (cmp) AC.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 850
  • (cmp) FFT 20k.jpg
    (cmp) FFT 20k.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 936
  • (cmp) THD.jpg
    (cmp) THD.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,104
  • (cmp) CFB Class-A Preamp.jpg
    (cmp) CFB Class-A Preamp.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,150
Last edited:
SR PP12 preamp

A big n' nasty 220uF coupling cap on the output?

Can the offset not be controlled with a trimmer(s) somewhere in the circuit or with a servo?
Harman Kardon used generic 220uF/25V TK caps in some preamp section in a few 1990s integrated. When replaced with quality caps like MUSE, Os-Con or polymer the results were very, very good and hard to distinguish... :)

The idea of a trimmer for the offset is interesting.