Transistor Preamp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This thread has languished for a while. But last night I threw together a Pass B1 buffer preamp for the first time. Just two 2Sk170's in a clever single ended class A setup and I have what I think is one of the finest sounding preamps I have heard. The simplicity ensures low noise and this one is silent. It is so easy to make and requires no PCB. I did a Stereo P2P with pot and screw terminal blocks all on a standard 4cm x 6cm veroboard. It uses a single rail supply (nominally 18v) but since my headamp has 15v that's what I am using. If you have a quiet power source already, there is no need for the 10mF caps. I saved some real estate using 2.2mF caps and lower cost 1uF 230v film caps. I did match the JFETs for Idss for optimal performance.

Here is schematic from the B1 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/124889-b1-buffer-preamp-418.html in case anyone does not remember what it looks like:

bbp_1.png

Here is my build being tested with my Juma BJT/MOSFET headamp

582352d1480246275-jumas-head-amp-b1-pre-01.jpg

Anyhow, it sounds great and IMO, beats any op amp in simplicity and SQ if you only need a buffer to go from high to low impedance and have a volume pot in between. Because there is no DC current flow in the pot, it is silent as you change volume.

I am using a combo 10uF 50v MLCC cap bypassed with 1uF 230v film cap to save real estate and cost. Sounds fine to my ears but AndrewT did warn that an MLCC in such a spot with DC bias may distort. If you have room use a 10uF film cap (they will be same size as entire PCB and cost more than all the rest of the parts).

Highly recommend buffer preamp.

Last edited:
Just two 2Sk170's in a clever single ended class A setup
A source follower with current source, to be precise, made extra simple by JFETs being depletion mode.
If you have a quiet power source already, there is no need for the 10mF caps. I saved some real estate using 2.2mF caps and lower cost 1uF 230v film caps.
The original value of C2 is ridiculously oversized anyway. Yours still takes about 20 seconds for midpoint voltage to get anywhere near steady state, the original must take minutes. I have a little headphone amp using no more than a measly 10 µF for a rail splitter just like that - it is, admittedly, not exactly pure canned PSRR as evidenced by audible hum on an unregulated wall-wart. The value always struck me as ample, but I just ran a little sim, and -36 dB at 100 Hz doesn't sound that hot either, now does it? It's almost -80 dB for 15 mF.

With all that filtering going on, the B1 buffer must have phenomenal PSRR when wired up right - and it's not like the source follower circuit itself doesn't have any to begin with.

Hello. what is the forward voltage drop of the red led you are using? i have some red leds with 1.6V and other ones with 2V voltage drop and it makes difference to the output stage quiscent current.

this is your schematic : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...73478564-transistor-preamp-pre-amp-simple.pdf
You can use the output emitter resistors to adjust the output bias current/voltage.
Try with your low Vf LED and compare to the high Vf LED at the same output bias current.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I read the spec sheet for BF862 and it says that S and D pins are interchangeable?

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BF862.pdf?

So does it matter, or maybe it sounds better with S & D pins in proper orientation?

Anyhow, I flipped Q3 to make it so:

585559d1481605864-transistor-preamp-juma-bf862-preamp-layout-03-no-components.png

Attachments

• Juma-BF862-Preamp-Layout-03-no-components.png
    Juma-BF862-Preamp-Layout-03-no-components.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,547
Last edited:
Another interesting solid state line stage worth considering is Thorsten Loesch's 'Mondatta'. It features a complementary JFET input with BJT folded-cascodes forming a transconductance voltage gain first stage, then a complementary JFET follower output second stage. It operates without loop negative feedback and is quite simple. He also presents an RIAA phono stage named the 'Zenyatta' which is based on the same topology, both are in the below linked thread.

DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Zenyatta Mondatta - zero loop NFB J-Fet Phono/Line

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Another interesting solid state line stage worth considering is Thorsten Loesch's 'Mondatta'. It features a complementary JFET input with BJT folded-cascodes forming a transconductance voltage gain first stage, then a complementary JFET follower output second stage. It operates without loop negative feedback and is quite simple. He also presents an RIAA phono stage named the 'Zenyatta' which is based on the same topology, both are in the below linked thread.

DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Zenyatta Mondatta - zero loop NFB J-Fet Phono/Line

Something else by Juma along lined of cascoded JFET input but SE JFET output.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/244106-lsk-pre-baf-2013-a-7.html

379122d1382904095-lsk-pre-baf-2013-lskpre-baf2013-sch.gif