TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp with PFFB

Amazing fast delivery from the US (shipped on Monday) to The Netherlands (arrived on Wednesday) and it sounds excellent out of the box already. The phase correctness seems to be much better than the Purifi amp as I can walk through the room and even into the kitchen without the tonality changing. The sound is very relaxed, yet dynamic and very musical. The PRaT is better than the Purifi it replaces with fuller and more dynamic sound, but also less harsh. We like it so far and will continue to burn it in. According to Walter it needs about 200 hours to be fully burned in. Can't wait for that to happen, but already enjoying it as we speak.

BR,
Richard

Reactions: 1 user
Our system:

Naim Atom Headphone Edition > LSA Warp 1 > Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 LE + Dynaudio Sub 6

Cambridge Audio CXC CD transport (doesn't see much use as the Naim HE is an excellent streamer with Roon + QOBUZ)

Grimm TPR interlinks, Audioquest Castle Rock speaker cables, Audioquest Monsoon + Niagara 1200 power conditioner + Audioquest NRG-Z3 on the Warp 1

The amp rests on IsoAcoustics Oreo and the speakers are placed on IsoAcoustics Gaia 2

IMG_3364.jpeg

We have had some more time to listen to the Warp 1 and we get to love it more every day. My wife and I decided that the Purifi amp can go, so that one is now up for sale. The Warp 1 emits more energy in a way. The sound is more powerful, more full bodied and also more 'phase correct' than the old amp. Were we used to have 'peaks and dips' when walking around the room with the old amp, that is far less the case with the Warp 1. It is amazing, but even if you stand beside or even behind one of the speakers, the stereo image is still kind of intact. You can literally walk through the room and the sound will not change that much. Also the presentation is more relaxed, with darker backgrounds and very smooth.

It is really difficult to describe, but at them moment listening to Numinous by Those Who Ride With Giants and the presentation is so smooth and relaxed, yet full and energetic at the same time. There are for sure better amps, as in more powerful or more neutral, but this one sounds so freakin' fine in our setup. So the experiment was successful and we are very happy with the amp in our setup.

Thanks @xrk971 for designing this amp. :cool: (y)

BR,
Richard

Reactions: 1 user
That’s wonderful to hear that you love the amp. Thanks for the kind words and the credit belongs to the whole team: JP, Jan, Darko, Sami, and Mark.
You all did an excellent job. It is late evening over here (well, actually early morning) and I am listening to Radio Paradise's mellow mix. It sounds outstanding. I really like the amp. A friend of mine ordered the amp as well and got it on Monday. He enjoys it very much as well, already, cold out of the box. He is testing it to maybe replace his tube amplifier.

Two questions though:
1. I keep the Warp 1 on 24/7. I assume this should not cause any problems?
2. Did you measure the idle power usage? I can't find it anywhere in the specifications.

BR,
Richard

I think if rms voltage is used, power is simply Vrms x current multiplied with no power factor for a purely resistive load. I used a clamp on current probe on one of the AC main wires.

P = I x V
Do you think your smps is a resistive load?
Anyway, I suggest using one of these cheapo wall-pluggable energy-meters to get valid numbers of power consumption.

Last edited:
The question of what power factor to use for a SMPS running at idle with three auxiliary outputs (+12, +/-15v) and the main output at 51v is sort of unknown.

Is a cheap wall mount watt-o-meter going to measure real time phase angle of voltage and current and apply corrections automatically?
Yes, nowadays they do, because they use the same chips as are in the smart meters. They old ones did not.