• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB

Hi Folks,
I have been getting a lot of PM’s asking for ready to run fully assembled TPA3255 amps. Maybe I should start another GB interest list. We need interest for at least 15 and I can get another manufacturing run going. The boards will be revised to hold an optional 2pin Molex KK where L131 is to allow external 15v supply to be connected. If you can find the LM5010ASD at a later point, you are welcome to install it yourself and not require a separate external PSU.

If you are interested please add your name, number of units and country below.

TPA3255 Amp GB 3 Interest List

Name / Units / Country
————————————————
JohnDoe / 2 amps / USA
Not allowed to pm yet. I’m interested though!

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Just to summarize the current status:

Name / Units / Country
————————————————
turion64 / 1 amp / USA
Plott / 1 amp / Austria
Martial31 (Etsy) / 2 amps / USA
Vishal Devgon/India/ 1 stereo amp

Dr. Rasta and vinodt1347 are interested, but no further data provided.
And there was John Doe in the list, but he disappeared...

Come on, give yourself a push :rofl:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X have you considered redesigning the HV supply? The LTC3630 would fit in the space of the LM5010, it's a bigger package but it doesn't require the catch diode and the inductor can be smaller. It is twice as expensive but it's in stock at Mouser.
Hi Tommost,
Thanks for the tip. If we redesign the board, I will do some other things too. Will keep this in mind. LT DCDC converters are also prone to supply chain issues. I use LT8364 SEPIC converter on a commercial product and it was held hostage by that one part for almost a year! Nothing is safe unless discrete and using common/generic parts.

@Plott - "John Doe" was ficticious sample name :)

Let's add 1 unit each for Dr Rasta, Vinod told me in PM he withdrew his entry...

Name / Units / Country
————————————————
turion64 / 1 amp / USA
Plott / 1 amp / Austria
Martial31 (Etsy) / 2 amps / USA
Vishal Devgon/India/ 1 stereo amp
Dr Rasta / 1 amp / ?

I had a question regarding BTL to PBTL configuration, but I think I worked thru the answer while writing it down. Please let me know if there's anything that stands out as wrong in my train of thought:

Ideally, when connecting BTL outputs together to form the PBTL, would it be downstream of only 1x LC low pass filter? Having it downsteam of both doubles the inductance (assuming zero magnetic coupling) and doubles the capacitance, which overall halves the low pass filter from 50kHz to 25kHz (altho still in the 20-60kHz cutoff freq chosen above hearing frequencies). Downstream does does have the benefit of not doubling the inductor current though.

Page 28 of the datasheet shows just a PBTL config, w/ a single pair of 10uH inductors (& 2x 470nF LC caps, I assume just for lower ESR vs 1x 1uF??). I also believe the evaluation board's PBTL diagram is missing the second capacitor stack on page 2 here.

This diagram shows my current understanding, with the red lines showing the current BTL->PBTL bridging; blue lines would ideally be switched to bypass the second LC filter.
PBTL.PNG

I think I answered my question in that it doesn't matter that the low pass cutoff changes; it also has the benefit of being simple to bridge, and makes the inductors cheaper/smaller to not deal w/ more current. I guess my next question is why pick a 50kHz cutoff frequency in the first place, unless it's specifically so you can bridge like this and still be above 20kHz? I assume that's a function of keeping a smaller inductor & having the cap sized such that the low pass is close to critically damped w/ a quality factor near 0.707?