• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB

Hi Xrk,

I was looking for buffer on your webstore and I found there the RTR Solid State Relay (SSR) DC Protection. Do you have any boards for sale? And do you think that the RTR SSR is neceseary for the TPA amplifier or has some added value?

Petr

PS: The amplifier arrived this week, the box was crumpled, but fortunately it was very well packaged, so it looks fine :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I need to get the BTSB Buffer listed in the shop soon. I have been on vacation for nearly 2 weeks and will be getting back in a few days. The TPA3255 is a bridge tied load (BTL) amp so both the outputs are live and with no music playing, output is about 1/2 of Vdd (PSU input). As Jhofland said, the RTR SSR isn’t set up for bridged amps.

However, the TPA32555 has built in auto protection for unbalanced outputs. So it’s really not necessary. If it senses that a potentially dangerous unbalanced output, it will go into error mode and require a manual reset via the 2pin reset switch.

I'm sorry, I didn't really realize that BTL is involved as a bridge.

XLR my English is quite limited, so I apologize if I misunderstood you when describing the buffer. Did you wrote that I can also use the BTSB buffer for unbalanced input? The output is also unbalanced? I have no experience with the LM47924, so I don't know what it will do with the signal if I bring an unbalanced signal in the buffer connection.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The TPA3255 is configured as balanced input by default. You could make it SE by changing soldered bridge 0R jumpers on bottom. But if you get the BTSB buffer it will provide correct balanced drive from either single ended or balanced input. Plus it has simultaneous single ended outputs.

You could just ground the negative input and drive the positive to get sound. But you are basically using only half the amp.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thank you Redjr for a very nice review of this amp used in your splendid build - very kind of you to give your listening impressions (and that they exceeded your expectations!).

I have to say that I have build a number of class D amps, and by far this is the best sounding DIY solution I have found. The first thing I immediately noticed was how quiet this amp is. There is nothing but silence when it's turned on. Then when the music starts.... wow! While class D amps may have a 'bright' overall sound, in my listening to it over the past several weeks, I never found this amp harsh, or fatiguing to listen to in any way. Instead, the sound is smooth, full-bodied yet very articulate in executing the music with clarity and detail. With plenty of wonderful and warm sounding mids, and solid bass when called upon.

867116d1597094895-class-amp-photo-gallery-p1020239-jpg

867119d1597094994-class-amp-photo-gallery-p1020268-jpg

Would you be so kind as to share the design files you used to make the rear panel and front panel from the HiFi2000 chassis? I think many folks (including me) would love to have a box just like yours! :)

Always happy to share a positive review about a product that impresses me. This amp does just that. I still have 3 different preamps I want to try in front of it! :) My 22 yr old son shares my passion for HiFi and music, and likes to help when we're re-configuring and testing out new combinations of gear. So we'll try some of the other pres (Doug Self 2012, Emotiva PT-100, & Yarra) tonight when he gets home from work. Doug's is the only one with balanced outputs though.

No problem at all with sharing the Front Panel design files with the community. They are designed for the ModuShop 1NGX383 enclosure. A zip file is attached.

Galaxy Maggiorato GX383 330 x 230 mm x 80 mm 10mm SILVER front panel - 1mm iron covers.

Found here: 1NGX383

Attachments

• FP Files ModuShop Model GX383_redjr.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 274
Redjr,

Do you mind sharing what the rest of your system is composed of? Speakers, room size, and other gear. Looks like you have the Yarra as well which is a nice pre.

Thanks,
Anand.

Hi Anand,

Not at all.

My listening room is a multi-purpose space. With different gear used for different purposes. The back of the room also serves as my home office. The overall dimensions are 12' x 19'. It is 12' wide x 8' at the TV end, and then at 8' it widens to 15' to the back.

In the first picture, you'll notice both the HT gear in the low-boy cabinet under the TV. To the left, and shown in other pictures is my 'ever-evolving' audio rack which houses my primary listening system. You can see my turntable (vintage JVC QL-7 with a Denon DL-103 MC cartridge). On the 2nd shelf is the little Parasound zPre3, and my DIY DAC. 3rd shelf is the new class D amp (TPA3255), and Parasound 2125 v.2 amp, and my Elite SACD player on the bottom. Next to the turntable is my puffin phono DSP pre(fabulous piece of kit). All of these feed my favorite Elac UniFi UB5 speakers. Nothing really exotic. :)

Oh, almost forgot... There''s an older Paradigm subwoofer in the left corner of the room connected to the audio system. However, yesterday while adjusting it I noticed it is starting to fail, so may be replacing it soon. It's over 20yrs old! There's also another Dayton Audio sub in the right corner used for HT duty.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• P1020344.jpg
    P1020344.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 825
  • P1020347.jpg
    P1020347.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 807
  • P1020350.jpg
    P1020350.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 794
  • P1020345.jpg
    P1020345.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 219
  • P1020352.jpg
    P1020352.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 230
Yeah, the UB5's sound impressive. Clearly, the best modest priced speakers I've ever owned. They're a very toe-tapping kinda speaker. :) I'm completely happy with them. I've had them for about 3 years now and love their sound. They really need a sub to give the sound that overall full-body and punch though!

Here's the best source of info on the puffin pre. It's basically a little phono ADC/DAC for your cartridge, with numerous user-selectable settings to match your cartridge and/or fine-tune the signal if so desired.

I hear you. There are always trade-offs. When I put that cartridge into service, I was woefully unprepared for the quality and amount of gain it would require to get a decent signal. That's when I came across the puffin. I initially resisted spending the money on it, but obviously came around and ultimately popped for it. Seems like all the MMC phono preamps I investigated were in the high $$$ figures.

Yes, it does digitize the signal, but IMO, does so in a very non-offensive way to the resulting sonics. To my ear, puffin has succeeded in processing the signal so that it does sound very good with a minimum of digital artifacts. Not pure analog, but I'm not a purist either. I'm fully entrenched in the digital playback eco-system, but on occasion like to listen to vinyl too. This is simply a tool that helps my MMC cartridge perform flawlessly. :D Frankly, I have never used most of the settings. I initially set the gain and RIAA and that's been it.