They are well documented.
Definitely. Documentation is good.

They are well-made.
I hope so. Have not own any before

They are in circulation.
Not sure what you mean

They sound good.
Well, that's subjective. I have to find out personally

They can be tested (test points included on the board.
Of course they can be tested. The test points are really convenient though

They can be upgraded.
No use to me. I do not intend to upgrade it. When the next generation chip comes out, I'll just get the new one.

The manufacturer provides advice on how to upgrade them.
See above

They are not expensive.
At the discounted price, I totally agree

Delivery is quick.
I hope so. I guess it depends on where you located

What else do you need to know?
Nothing I can think of right now. Will let you know when I have questions.
Thank you!

Regards,

Hi guys

I expect this chip is dumping a broadband of noise so in fact the regulators' noise performance is perhaps somewhat irrelevant. But what about impedance into the gates for the 12V supply? Would a lower impedance (than LM2937/40) benefit dynamics? I plan to find out! I have a very old scope that I don't know how to use (!) but I will dust it off and connect it up to the amp's test points, post what I find, etc. Just bear with me, I have a job, wife, etc, motorcycles, etc. Distractions from my true calling - to break perfectly good bits of kit and call it an upgrade ;-)

BTW, do please stop saying this amplifier is excellent cos Ti made it and it tests so well. Look at the audio coupling caps, 2 pairs of them. 40 cent Panasonic aluminium crap. In the signal path. Like eating a candy bar with the wrapper on. Noooooooooo ! :)

Last edited:
Hi guys

I expect this chip is dumping a broadband of noise so in fact the regulators' noise performance is perhaps somewhat irrelevant. But what about impedance into the gates for the 12V supply? Would a lower impedance (than LM2937/40) benefit dynamics? I plan to find out! I have a very old scope that I don't know how to use (!) but I will dust it off and connect it up to the amp's test points, post what I find, etc. Just bear with me, I have a job, wife, etc, motorcycles, etc. Distractions from my true calling - to break perfectly good bits of kit and call it an upgrade ;-)

BTW, do please stop saying this amplifier is excellent cos Ti made it and it tests so well. Look at the audio coupling caps, 2 pairs of them. 40 cent Panasonic aluminium crap. In the signal path. Like eating a candy bar with the wrapper on. Noooooooooo ! :)

I agree with you, I would pull out any ecap in signal path without a second thought. Believing Ti use the optimal "sounding" circuit/parts for their stuff is like believing opamp I/V is the best I/V ever:D

BTW, u can try audio transformer for the +/- input without any coupling caps. I use them in Gmarsh Wiener and Wiener Pro (3250) and it improves the sound quality.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! That 3250 looks good - nice! Are you pleased with the sound?

I switched transformer today to a 150VA 30VAC. The amp no longer shuts down. Running music full volume from my phone, the clipping light stops flashing at a regulated 24V.

When I switched to a 2v rms DAC as the source, I can get to -2dB from full volume without the clipping light coming on by turning up the regulated voltage to 32V. Above -2dB the light occasionally flashes regardless of voltage (tested up to 37V, board max is 38V) but the sound is just too loud for me to care whether it's clipping peaks or not. My normal listening volume is around -24 to -20.

The S11 with 2.5"on board heatsinks doesn't get hot with 32V output and full volume - just warm, and it has 39V minimum after the bridge rectifier so it won't drop out of regulation.

So I guess 5A, 24V is about the minimum for this amp and ideally it wants around 36V 7.5A for my speakers and ear-bleeding "fun". I guess a 32VAC 250VA transformer would be enough to make sure it never goes into clipping at full volume. However, I'll never listen at that volume so it's just a case of whether a lower power source impedance would matter. Given the S11 has a very low output impedance, I'm not sure it does and I will probably stick with the 150VA 30VAC and spend the money elsewhere.

Quick pic attached. I'm waiting on my Taobao transformers now... and thinking about changing the onboard regs - LM338 for 15V (2x LM329 at the base - click this link for an explainer) and TPS7A4700EVM for 12V. Has anyone tried changing regs?

Is your Sigma 11 the old version? It had a problem of the output power trace too thin thus limiting current flow. Did u add a thicker wire from the 0.47R to output?

My project

Attachments

• 3251.png
    3251.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 506
I agree with you, I would pull out any ecap in signal path without a second thought. Believing Ti use the optimal "sounding" circuit/parts for their stuff is like believing opamp I/V is the best I/V ever:D

BTW, u can try audio transformer for the +/- input without any coupling caps. I use them in Gmarsh Wiener and Wiener Pro (3250) and it improves the sound quality.

The amp has DC on its input pins so do I need to block this DC into the transformer? I assume not ... but it's better to check assumptions...

No use to me. I do not intend to upgrade it. When the next generation chip comes out, I'll just get the new one.

Nothing I can think of right now. Will let you know when I have questions.
Thank you!

Regards,

Hi Lo_Tse, I would encourage you to upgrade it according to the TI app note! The output inductors dominate technical performance. Replacing them with the TI-recommended Wurth inductors should be audibly better.

I have had great success in upgrading from stock inductors on several TI class D amplifiers.

Best regards,
Mike

Hi all - I fitted the transformers. I removed the second set of coupling caps and connected the pads to twisted pairs into the transformer secondaries. I managed to invert the phase on one of them but that was easily corrected. The sound is more open and spacious and would be excellent but for a little too much sibilance -it is noticeable but not nasty, and it's a little more than I consider natural. Perhaps my source doesn't like this load? I see there is a low pass 100r and 100pf on the input side - did anyone modify this?
Thanks...

Hi all - I fitted the transformers. I removed the second set of coupling caps and connected the pads to twisted pairs into the transformer secondaries. I managed to invert the phase on one of them but that was easily corrected. The sound is more open and spacious and would be excellent but for a little too much sibilance -it is noticeable but not nasty, and it's a little more than I consider natural. Perhaps my source doesn't like this load? I see there is a low pass 100r and 100pf on the input side - did anyone modify this?
Thanks...

Did an interesting comparison between the 3251 EVM and the 3244 EVM. The 3251 is more sibilant and glassy in the 2-6kHz range. The 3244 is more even and nicer to listen to.
I will continue with the 3244.