TPA3251d2

Making the top notch performing EVM more top notch? :D

MrMax - that's a low grade op amp right? Strange choice - maybe it's a subjective choice.

Not being MrMax, but the NJM4580 are pretty good devices. They also do in my test equipment in the pre-stage.

I wouldn't call this to bad:

shorted inputs + ADC noise:
attachment.php

1kHz +3dBV:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Left_Channel_Static_Noise.png
    Left_Channel_Static_Noise.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 616
  • 48000.png
    48000.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:
There's very little wrong with NE5532/4s. Decently low noise, very low distortion across the audio band and can deliver a decent amount of current on their outputs.

Yeah you can do better but I cannot believe for a minute that an NE5532 on the front end of the TPA3251 is going to degrade its performance in any meaningful way.

I used the dual differential LME49724 for my front end.

At the risk of starting an op amp discussion which no-one wants, I don't like the 5532 cos it sounds dull, so I will be replacing it. AD8620, AD8599, OPA2132, LM4562 are my go-to dual op amps but the 1612 looks like a reasonable choice - 1/5 of the noise, triple the slew, 4x the bandwidth, and the THD... wow. Comparing specs I also found my memory is faulty since Ti's 5532 can drive better than 1612: 38 vs 30mA. However, the significant issue for me is that people say the 1612 sounds good - very subjective but given I don't like 5532, it is worth trying I think.

Yeah you can do better but I cannot believe for a minute that an NE5532 on the front end of the TPA3251 is going to degrade its performance in any meaningful way.

Cheers and happy new year. :)

Have you tried injecting some 4G signal either by proximity coupling or with an audio cable connected between 4g-device and amplifier?

There's very little wrong with NE5532/4s. Decently low noise, very low distortion across the audio band and can deliver a decent amount of current on their outputs.

agree,NE5532 is enough for TPA3251 design.

I am guessing that it is similar to cross over distortion in a class AB amp. Recently Bob Cordell mentioned this phenomenon as it is caused by the way that the H-bridge fets are switched on/off. They require some dead band to prevent feedthru or both being on at the same time and acting as supply short to ground.

Last edited:
agree,NE5532 is enough for TPA3251 design.

I've had a quick read of the datasheets - that input circuit seems redundant. The amp has 24K input resistance so could be driven directly from most pre-amp outputs (balanced of course). Did I miss something relevant?

Has anyone measured if there is DC present on the input pins? It would be great to bypass the DC blocking caps too...

Last edited:
Always this rise in distortion. What is creating it. What does it take in terms of eulution to get rid of it?

It looks like 3rd harmonic distortion because its peaking around 7kHz, after that it falls off - the fall off being caused by the AP internal filtering (just above 20kHz).

At a level of 0.01% is third harmonic distortion audible? As far as I'm aware, its not.

I've had a quick read of the datasheets - that input circuit seems redundant. The amp has 24K input resistance so could be driven directly from most pre-amp outputs (balanced of course). Did I miss something relevant?

Has anyone measured if there is DC present on the input pins? It would be great to bypass the DC blocking caps too...

If you have 4Vrms to drive, then the opamp can be omitted. If you use PFFB you'll need some additional gain to compensate the reduction introduced by the feedback loop.

There's DC on the inputs.