TPA3251d2

Right from the bench, guess, which amp is not using MLCC as coupling caps but foil.

attachment.php

Attachments

• THDN_vs_P.png
    THDN_vs_P.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 762
Well, they might be winners in a different amp situation. The unanswered question is, if these foil used is not suitable due to inner construction (stacked vs. wound) and/or geometrical size and location regarding noise pickup.

Regarding differential dc-bias, this is ~zero for the interlink coupling as the AFE output and TPA32XX input are biased at ~6V, so the influence not the biggest concern.

I can't test tantal for several reasons. 1st, the measurements are done in a lab in denmark, i sent the amps to. 2nd, i don't use tantal in any way due to:

https://www.sourceintelligence.com/what-are-conflict-minerals/

Well, they might be winners in a different amp situation. The unanswered question is, if these foil used is not suitable due to inner construction (stacked vs. wound) and/or geometrical size and location regarding noise pickup.

Regarding differential dc-bias, this is ~zero for the interlink coupling as the AFE output and TPA32XX input are biased at ~6V, so the influence not the biggest concern.

I can't test tantal for several reasons. 1st, the measurements are done in a lab in denmark, i sent the amps to. 2nd, i don't use tantal in any way due to:

https://www.sourceintelligence.com/what-are-conflict-minerals/

Thanks for the Info Christian.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

oops... I missed a couple of posts here. Sorry for going back a little.

doctormord said:
The unanswered question is, if these foil used is not suitable due to inner construction (stacked vs. wound) and/or geometrical size and location regarding noise pickup.
interesting.
I can't remember if you already said. Maybe you could recall us the capacitors references you used ? As you say, all caps are not born equal.

uhmm.... sure about that ?
TPA325x input bias is AVDD/2 = 7.8/2 = 3.9V
Opamp bias is 6V. The "interlink" caps should see 2.1Vdc bias.

While we talk about dc-blocking caps, no one here seems to use TI's suggested electrolytics (Panasonic EEE-FK1C100R) eventhough they prove to have very good results on the EVM, are cheap and small.
question to the builders : What are your reasons to use other caps ?

5th said:
Putting an RC to each gate driver should stop the noise getting out, as well as getting in, so should isolate VDD pretty well. But I'm guessing that putting the RC filter before VDD actually gives it better isolation.
have you noticed that in their latest design, the TPA3255 EVM, 3R3 resistor was replaced by a 10µH inductor. Seems that TI is learning as well ;)

ps: Yuan-Jing announced some months ago a TPA3251 board at $38. Status was "coming soon". Today status changed straight to "sold out" :D
probably impossible to meet the anounced price point !

uhmm.... sure about that ?
TPA325x input bias is AVDD/2 = 7.8/2 = 3.9V
Opamp bias is 6V. The "interlink" caps should see 2.1Vdc bias.

Yeah, not completely zero to be correct. (But 2.1Vdc bias for a 50V (quality X7R) device is negligible.

While we talk about dc-blocking caps, no one here seems to use TI's suggested electrolytics (Panasonic EEE-FK1C100R) eventhough they prove to have very good results on the EVM, are cheap and small.
question to the builders : What are your reasons to use other caps ?

Because electrolytics. (But i can't speak for others)

I can't remember if you already said. Maybe you could recall us the capacitors references you used ? As you say, all caps are not born equal.

Will get back to you later.

Yes, I emailed Sinewave and they told me they can't get supply for TPA3255 now. Is TPA3251 stock on low supply too? And strange thing is no other company or maker that sell TPA3251 based amplifier.

Correct, they told me they need to find a reliable source for the TPA3255 and they do sell the TPA3251. However, I want (not need) more power. I never know what kind of speaker I will buy in the future.

I agree with you. Very strange that there is NO 3251 makers out there other than Sinewave and their price is little high (at least to me).

Is the cost of TPA3251/3255 chip A LOT more than the 3116?

TI published few days ago an appnote to design ClassD LC output filter.
The TPA3251 EVM is used to measure about 20 different inductors.
Worth reading
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa701/slaa701.pdf

App notes are published out of order :)
This one is about selecting the most linear inductor. The best (Wurth) is large and expensive.
A previous recent appnote explained how to add a Post filter feed back (PFFB) on TPA3251 to lower the non-linearities of inductors. One of the acclaimed benefit being that a less performing cheeper inductor could be used with better overall amplifier results.
Has anyone an idea for the optimal compromise for a coil selection with PFFB ?