TPA3221

So sad.....

I have the TPA3221 board with QC3008 bluetooth and very happy with it. Its the same manufacturer. Really well built and good quality components.

Yes but the amps in PBTL mode are only more powerfull with low impedanz.... the same for TPA3116 for example... the 100W are only with 2ohm speaker...

From datasheet.... as you can see for 4ohm no big difference...

Attachments

• btl.JPG
    btl.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 396
So I guess the big question is how does the TPA3221 chip compare to the TPA3251 and TPA3255 chips. The TI spec seems to be lower with higher distortion figures but the design is such that it is easier to build a small amplifier with less components.

The amplifier above seems to be taking this chip the the extreme with two mono channels. You might ask why they didn’t use the TPA3251 chip but I guess this would need more components. The power supply limitations seem strange as clearly the chip will operate up the 30 volts. The volume control even stranger !!

Is there room for a remote controlled volume control - that would be a nice upgrade !

So I guess the big question is how does the TPA3221 chip compare to the TPA3251 and TPA3255 chips.

Subjectively speaking the TPA3221 can sound better because it gives the option to optimize the power supply for the signal stages of the chip. That's very hard to achieve on the TPA325X which isn't designed to have its on-chip regulators bypassed. In terms of measurements, I think TPA325X win on most counts.

I agree its strange they didn't design to the max 30V the chip permits.

Words of truth. First things I listen for as a drummer are cymbals and snare with brushes. On poor gear those always sound muddled and pixelated. On good gear you will really hear the instrument

I share this opinion ) the subtleties of brushes (drumming) are very difficult to discern on a mediocre amp! With my Hypex, Purifi and TPA3255 I have always had satisfaction)