TPA3116D2 Amp

Hi FauxFrench

Its much better. when I have 2 ohm speaker in parallel on each channel at almost max volume its stoping for a few seconds. With only 1 speaker there is no problem. PBTL basschannel is also much better. I was looking to buy a 2.1 TAS5630B for replacment... but after this mod I will try with TPA3116.

I have ordered this amp a couple of days ago from Banggood - before I discovered this thread. It is a 100W (4Ohm) bridged version with low pass filter for driving a sub.

Can anyone point me to post numbers that detail the best mods, please? I really can't see myself reading through eleven thousand posts. :eek:

TPA3116 D2 8-25VDC 100W Mono Subwoofer Digital Amplifier Board NE5532 OPAMP

Attachments

• Banggood picture.JPG
    Banggood picture.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 451
I have ordered this amp a couple of days ago from Banggood - before I discovered this thread. It is a 100W (4Ohm) bridged version with low pass filter for driving a sub.

Can anyone point me to post numbers that detail the best mods, please? I really can't see myself reading through eleven thousand posts. :eek:

TPA3116 D2 8-25VDC 100W Mono Subwoofer Digital Amplifier Board NE5532 OPAMP

Are you wanting to alter the crossover frequency? From what I understand, it's fixed at 150Hz.

Last edited:
Hi Skylar88

its a sub amp board and according to the datasheet for PBTL = Mono you can use 10µH coils. the original coils are about 2 -3A so not much current. generally search for coils with less DCR and better current availability. -->Bourns SRP1250-100M

chris

Look at the inductance vs current curve.

https://www.bourns.com/docs/Product-Datasheets/SRP1250.pdf

Better choice:

https://katalog.we-online.de/pbs/datasheet/7447709100.pdf

With reference to testing done by doctormord, lower distortion is related to inductance vs current curve being flatter.

Look at the inductance vs current curve.

https://www.bourns.com/docs/Product-Datasheets/SRP1250.pdf

Better choice:

https://katalog.we-online.de/pbs/datasheet/7447709100.pdf

With reference to testing done by doctormord, lower distortion is related to inductance vs current curve being flatter.

Hi Dug

thank you. it nice to have an advice by a developer.
any idea for a SMD 27µ- 33µ the WE-PD is about 3 Amps. is there something better ?

7447709270 is about 4,6A

chris

Last edited:
Ok, I saw where they mention 10µH inductors in the datasheet, but I have to ask this question - will that change the crossover frequency? And to what?

I'm aiming for anything between 90Hz and 100Hz. Is there a calculator, formula or graph with which one can determine the inductor value for a specific cut-off frequency?

Hi

in generally the output filter at a Class D is working as a low pass filter because the amp is working with about 400khz PWM signal. so a music signal get together with a PWM modulator to the output pin of the class D chip and then you need a filter. ... EMI . in your case you use the amp as sub woofer so the cutoff frequency (..40-150hz) is not affected.i you choose a coil with lower value e.g. 10µH you have less resistance because the winding to get this 10µH are less then e.g. 33µH.. its physic;). the fatter the cable is the coil get bigger - expensive but it can handle more current. so DUG´s example are fitting well to your amp.

chris

High pitch whistle

I've got a TPA3116D2 module that emits a high pitch whistle through the speaker when using a Meanwell GST60A18-P1J (18V 3.33A).

It's a blue/black module but this one has yellow caps and the MF resistors on the output stage are SMD. Playback with 12V 2A and 19V 1.6A SMPS have no such issues but another SMPS 19V 3.16A has the same issue. I thought it might be feedback from a 12V relay in the amp but turned out to be a ground wire that runs from the pot body (Bourns 10K PTD902) to pot PCB ground. Removed this wire and all is quiet. It's an odd one as the other blue/black module I have needs this ground wire to remove hum when used with an Alps 10K RK27.

Very odd that the voltage seems to be fine but increase of the current causes a noise. I don't need a fix as the other SMPS works fine. In addition, I tried the Meanwell with another TPA3116D2 module and no noise but it's in a plastic and not metal case.

Last edited: