TPA3116D2 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I know the exact Ginseng tea box you are using - they are not big so this sort of reminds us how diminutive this amp is. A tea bag box has an internal width of about 2.5 inches right? These boxes are available in the Asian store tea sections. Only worth it if you buy the least expensive ginseng tea as the tea can be very expensive. Craft stores like Michaels or AC Moore also have very inexpensive hinges top boxes made out of nice looking thin wood that appears to look like white mahogany or balsa but stronger for just several dollars. They come in many sizes too just make sure you use the 40% off coupon from the newspaper.
Something like this box is less than $5. ArtMinds Medium Unfinished Hinged Box
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I know the exact Ginseng tea box you are using - they are not big so this sort of reminds us how diminutive this amp is. A tea bag box has an internal width of about 2.5 inches right? These boxes are available in the Asian store tea sections. Only worth it if you buy the least expensive ginseng tea as the tea can be very expensive. Craft stores like Michaels or AC Moore also have very inexpensive hinges top boxes made out of nice looking thin wood that appears to look like white mahogany or balsa but stronger for just several dollars. They come in many sizes too just make sure you use the 40% off coupon from the newspaper.
Something like this box is less than $5. ArtMinds Medium Unfinished Hinged Box
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

xrk,

Great suggestions. I was thinking about the same thing. My wife and daughter like to frequent Michaels. However, I always find their stuffs are expensive. I should look for the coupons like you mentioned.

Regards,

xrk,

Great suggestions. I was thinking about the same thing. My wife and daughter like to frequent Michaels. However, I always find their stuffs are expensive. I should look for the coupons like you mentioned.

Regards,

A lot of the stuff at Michaels is a bit steeply priced, but I see these little boxes there for less than 3 bucks... As low as a buck sometimes.

Last edited:
More boards showing up..

2.1 Board

I got mine the other day, I couldnt try it fully... I did in stereo without a subwoofer, The Speakers I tried with are some tabaq with the TB 881 with hivi tn28 that I use in my bedroom TV setup with a lepai without mods... The diference in soundstage and performance are hughe, better vocals, nice highs without being too shinny... Even the bass that came out the tabaqs ports was deep enough without distorsión in quite high volume... Defently Im going to build a subwoofer with a TB w6 1139 or with the smaller brother the W5 1138 for the bedroom and use this amp!!!?...

What's the general consensus on which Chinese Tpa3116 to buy, has anybody had success buying from a particular supplier?

I am going to bite the bullet soon but am tempted by the 50x2+1x100 units on eBay. Perfect for the workshop system...

Dean

Hi..

I would recomend this one, this seem to have better caps and better inductors...

I got this amp.. You can read my opinión upwards.

What's the general consensus on which Chinese Tpa3116 to buy, has anybody had success buying from a particular supplier?

I am going to bite the bullet soon but am tempted by the 50x2+1x100 units on eBay. Perfect for the workshop system...

Dean

I've seen only three versions so far. There are currently two versions of the 2.1 configured board and a stereo version that I've listened to. (It sounds very good stock and can be improved quite a bit with some tweaks and mods).

All of them so far are YuanJing boards.

If I was going to get a 2.1 version, I'd probably spring for the one with upgraded caps and inductors because it looks fairly "mod friendly".
I bought my board from a seller named szgracelee1005 and the shipping was really quick.

Can you use a 2.1 board in normal stereo mode as well??

I did, but I dont really think its good to use it without a load... If you do, I Believe that the gurus Will recommend to use at least a resistor to simulate a load. Am I right!?.

By the way, in the datasheet its shows a 2R load in the subwoofer in the schematic, if that its ok, one could use two 4 ohms sub in parallel... So a nice amp to use in a three way system biamp instead of a 2.1.

For those of you trying to wring the most hifi performance out of this pre-built board from YuanJing, I recommend using a better volume control and connecting the outputs of the pot to good quality 1uF film caps connected to the traces that go to Pins 4 & 10 ( the positive L & R inputs) of the amp chip, eliminating the little surface mount caps they use.

Can pins 5 and 11 be made accessible for balanced inputs? Thanks...

The signal paths to pins 5 & 11 are equally accessible.

Attachments

• i-VrJT3Xk-L.jpg
    i-VrJT3Xk-L.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 2,088
For those of you trying to wring the most hifi performance out of this pre-built board from YuanJing, I recommend using a better volume control and connecting the outputs of the pot to good quality 1uF film caps connected to the traces that go to Pins 4 & 10 ( the positive L & R inputs) of the amp chip, eliminating the little surface mount caps they use.

The volume pot can be removed altogether though, right?