TPA3116D2 Amp

I just finished modding my two dual tpa3116 boards and put them in a case, and I am very happy with the sound.
When I received them I had a lot of noise, because of the 32 db gain, and the sound was just ok, nothing special.
First thing I did was to change the pots with ALPHA A10K, and big caps (one of them already swollen after a week of use) with Panasonic FM.
I didnt expect much but I was surprised, the mids improved a lot in clarity but that made me hear a sibilance on the highs.
Second mod was to change the gain to 20 db and put the bootstrap caps.
This made a night and day difference. The mids got even cleaner, so did the highs and no more sibilance, the music is rich and full of details and dynamics. The bass performance did not change, but that was OK anyway.

The sound is cleaner and more transparent than my old Denon PMA-320.

Very good job blackbird84! My dual chip board have same issue with noise. Sorry for the question, how did you set the gain to 20dB in this board? Thank You.

BR
egra

Anybody tried this board, tda7498?
Seems to be a Sanwu
How does it sounds, any pop noise?

TDA7498 100W 100W 2 Dual Channel Digital Amplifier Class D Power Amp Board O76D | eBay

I have one on the way.
It usually takes about 2 weeks to be shipped to germany and then another 4 weeks of victimization by the customs.

That board looks very, very promising to me, as i had good experiences so far with that chip on two different modules.
And sanwu seems to do a good job in layouts and builds of small boards.
It will (hopefully if it is good enough) work in an active speaker containing an 10" woofer and a 1" horn tweeter.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just finished modding my two dual tpa3116 boards and put them in a case, and I am very happy with the sound.
When I received them I had a lot of noise, because of the 32 db gain, and the sound was just ok, nothing special.
First thing I did was to change the pots with ALPHA A10K, and big caps (one of them already swollen after a week of use) with Panasonic FM.
I didnt expect much but I was surprised, the mids improved a lot in clarity but that made me hear a sibilance on the highs.
Second mod was to change the gain to 20 db and put the bootstrap caps.
This made a night and day difference. The mids got even cleaner, so did the highs and no more sibilance, the music is rich and full of details and dynamics. The bass performance did not change, but that was OK anyway.

The sound is cleaner and more transparent than my old Denon PMA-320.

My speakers are biamped FAST system using Monacor spx-31m and monacor spw-150/8s, crossover is digital using Equalizer APO.

Nice work! I like the speakers too. FAST with these amps is perfect application.

blackbird84,

Sorry for rookie questions:

1) Are these ceramic capacitors?

2) Anything special about them? Voltage? (Wondering what to purchase.)

3) Without pulling my board, I can't quite tell...Are the cap and resistor simply soldered to one another, then soldered at two places (top and bottom of board)?
Or is there a third solder point midway on the bottom of the board? (In other words, cap soldered to the inductor, wraps around side of board, solders to cap and at that same point THEN attaches to board, then a final solder on the board?)

Can't quite make it out from the photos.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! This looks like an easy enough modification.

Mark

blackbird84,

Sorry for rookie questions:

1) Are these ceramic capacitors?

2) Anything special about them? Voltage? (Wondering what to purchase.)

3) Without pulling my board, I can't quite tell...Are the cap and resistor simply soldered to one another, then soldered at two places (top and bottom of board)?
Or is there a third solder point midway on the bottom of the board? (In other words, cap soldered to the inductor, wraps around side of board, solders to cap and at that same point THEN attaches to board, then a final solder on the board?)

Can't quite make it out from the photos.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! This looks like an easy enough modification.

Mark

Ceramic caps 200v 330pf,
3) You are right. No middle solder to the board.
Here is another post regarding this mod:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/280671-tpa3116-upgrades-3.html
It is easy to do. Good luck!

You only have sybillance with Panasonic FM >220uF and you also have that with bootstrapsnubbers.

irribeo, you suggest lowering the capacitance? Or is panasonic FM a bad choice? can you elaborate?
Thanks.

Hi all,

I have my first tpa3116 on route and looking to land any day. I'm pretty new to DIY so please forgive me in advance for this dumb question!!! :(

I've read through the wiki around upgrade/mods and looking to buy the following for the amp.

DC Power caps
Panasonic EEH-ZA1V271P CAP ALUM 270UF 35V

Input Signal Decup caps

Panasonic ECQ-E1106KF - metalized polyester, 10 uF 100V, 10%.

LP Output Filter

Inducter

http://www.digikey.com.au/product-search/en?keywords=732-2145-6-ND

Caps

Wima Caps?

I've got two questions if someone could guide me in right direction.

- Firstly on the input caps there seems to be a large and a small cap on the board for each side is that correct? Do I get 2 X 270uf Panasonic caps plus some smaller caps? Or just 4 270uf Panasonic? Not clear if I need to go 4 caps or two?

- output filter caps assuming I need four, I read people are using wima but I can't seem to find which exact models and specs ppl are going with???

Any help would be appreciated sorry about the stupid question!

Image1466230313.082938.jpg

DC power caps: Look up the ESR of the ones installed and (assuming they are not fakes) find something that fits the footprint with a lower ESR if you wish to change them.

LC filter elements: Unless the inductors are running hot they could be OK and not need to be replaced. The filter caps as well. If you really want to change them find the L vs I curve and find one that is relatively flat. When current increases you don't want the inductance to change.

My opinions on the input caps are this: Any cap that is of sufficient value to maintain a low impedance relative to the load ( >9K ohms in this case) will couple the signal without issue. (i.e. not changing the sound) I am also of the opinion that a large cap of this type will pick up unwanted noise. (many others disagree) I use a 10uF surface mount X7R type. Sound OK to me. :)

There is my $.02 worth.

:)

Attachments

• Wurth-12mmX12mm10uH.JPG
    Wurth-12mmX12mm10uH.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 556
DC power caps: Look up the ESR of the ones installed and (assuming they are not fakes) find something that fits the footprint with a lower ESR if you wish to change them.

LC filter elements: Unless the inductors are running hot they could be OK and not need to be replaced. The filter caps as well. If you really want to change them find the L vs I curve and find one that is relatively flat. When current increases you don't want the inductance to change.

My opinions on the input caps are this: Any cap that is of sufficient value to maintain a low impedance relative to the load ( >9K ohms in this case) will couple the signal without issue. (i.e. not changing the sound) I am also of the opinion that a large cap of this type will pick up unwanted noise. (many others disagree) I use a 10uF surface mount X7R type. Sound OK to me. :)

There is my $.02 worth.

:)

Thanks heaps for feedback mate really appreciated. Haven't got boards yet so will know soon. Looking at pic seems to be 4 input caps yeh? One large one small per side?