Tips for building simple ALU cases

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Just wondered if anybody had tried this stuff, I actually bought it by mistake thinking it to be solid metal. In fact it's a composite sandwich. I used it as a top plate for a valve amp and it's easy to drill and cut. I got thinking it might be useful for making cases. It's very easy to fold if cut on one side with an angle grinder, use standard width disc to gouge out metal and filling, then fold to 90 degree, then reinforce the angle with glue or right angle strip. Truth is I haven't used it to make an enclosure yet, I've just experimented with the folding, works out quite neat. Downside is the colour and it's difficult to paint and it might not be suitable for larger, heavier jobs.. Aluminium Solid Metal Sheet, 600mm L, 600mm W, 3mm Thickness | RS Components

A bit late for comments on this, but anyway…

I‘m pretty sure this is „alucobond“, mainly used for facade cladding and similar.
Has some neat features but is difficult to work with, at least without a good assorted workshop.
I did some experiments with but abandoned the stuff. Went over to alucore (Alucore(R) | ALLEGA) really advanced stuff [emoji851]

It´s *expensive* for a hand tool which to boot is sllloooowwww (in any poduction environment) and will tire/cramp your hands into uselessness after a couple dozen insertions.

Price would be fine for a pneumatic or foot operated machine though, one which allows, say, 5v inserts or better per minute, during hours.

As shown, only valid for prototypes but too expensive for Hobbyists/DIYers.

That said, it seems to include a very complete set of dies.

It just depends on the look you are interested in, without a doubt the case is one of the most difficult parts to complete a project. It does open the opportunity to use unconventional materials, stone, glass, wood, and you will truly have a one of a kind project. Here is a couple I built you will never see in a shop.

Attachments

• 4423EF56-2673-479E-92C3-EFC901973C42.jpg
    4423EF56-2673-479E-92C3-EFC901973C42.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 244
McMaster sells the fasteners by the bagful -- 25 or 50.

Interesting -- the "insertion tool" is $533 at McMaster. I thought it may have been more. McMaster-Carr

I have one of those Roper hand punches, only use it occasionally. Limited throat depth rules it out for many projects. When I bought it, the cost was much less.

But if you really want to do lots of pem nuts:

https://www.haeger.com/pdf/Machine Brochures LowResolution/824 OT4 - English - LR.pdf

It even costs less than my car did!

My Nisshinbo MAP500 turret punch is down at the moment. ( Nisshinbo MAP 500 (2001) Turret Punching Machine - YouTube ) It gave me a motor overheat warning, which wasn't right, turned out to be a bad power supply capacitor in the servo motor drive controller. Fixed that, (Part $4, shipping $30!) ran parts that would have cost $10,000 if someone else sold them to me. In house cost for material and labor was under $1,000! A week later it failed again. This time one of the white square cross section power resistors actually exploded! Never seen that, so I checked the load. It was in spec. Sent the unit off to the drive system manufacturer for repair. Cost came back at $1,200! Estimated repair time 30 days!!!

Replacement cost on the turret punch is $225,000! Good thing I can wait. I did ask two other folks for quotes on 1,000 simple single gang wall plates, that I could use quickly. Neither have come back with a quote. Expected price should be about $7.00 each from one of the folks. I suspect that project alone will pay for the repair.

The reason why I saved $9,000 on the parts I needed is that the other folks who make them just chop small bits of structural steel (10,000 PSI yield strength typical) and weld them. I CNC punch big sheets of 1/8" thick 30,000 PSI yield strength steel (5% tolerance) and then bend the flat pieces to shape.

Last edited:
ran parts that would have cost $10,000 if someone else sold them to me. In house cost for material and labor was under $1,000!
^^^^^^ THAT is why I make as much as I can "in house".
My Argentine colleagues call me crazy because I make my own transformers, PCBs, chassis, silkscreening, speakers, metal corner protectors, voice coils, strip handles,rubber feet, reverb tanks, knobs, etc. , but then hate me because of my "chinese costs" pr to be more precise, my "chinese" end customer prices.

They only "eat take out food" , I "cook at home" he he, then complain they sell little to nothing due to Chinese competition.
Oh well.

Back to the PEM nut problem:
Nice machines and certainly justified if you insert ten to hundred thousands per Month but for smaller scale use, I bet that a cheap (as in less than $200/300) male/female die set can be made (turned shapes are cheap easy) out of cheap tool steel (say 1070 with proper heat treatment and even cemented for durability) to be used with a small mechanical press, hand feeding nuts one by one (using tweezers or similar to keep fingers safe).

Back of a napkin calculations tell me that to punch a 4mm hole in 1.25mm thick cold rolled steel sheet takes all of 700 something kilograms (so not even 1 Ton), so insertion force can´t be higher, in fact should be less.

So a small press and a cheap die can insert some 50 nuts a minute, at a leisurely pace.

A bit late for comments on this, but anyway…

I‘m pretty sure this is „alucobond“, mainly used for facade cladding and similar.
Has some neat features but is difficult to work with, at least without a good assorted workshop.
I did some experiments with but abandoned the stuff. Went over to alucore (Alucore(R) | ALLEGA) really advanced stuff [emoji851]

Had a look around for this stuff and thought it might be difficult to source, then I found it at Aluminium Solid Metal Sheet, 600mm L, 600mm W, 6mm Thickness | RS Components They list them as solid metal sheets (surprised?), 6mm sheets should be strong enough for most applications. It might be difficult to handle (fold) but I did come across this clip
ALUCORE(R) Folding bending - YouTube
The folding itself looks easy once you cut out the groove.
I'm pretty sure I've seen people mention that they use router bits for cutting aluminium.

You can use a normal router, in fact many DIY CNC tables let you use your own, BUT you need a special router bit, with proper angles and sharpening for Aluminum.

3-175-8MM-2-Flute-Milling-Cutters-for-Aluminum-CNC-Router-Bit-Spiral-Engraving-Tools-Solid.jpg_Q90.jpg

Notice this one specifically mentions "composite aluminum panels".

If making straight cuts , no big deal using a hand held one, but use some kind of rail or at least a straight piece of wood as a guide, it´s easy to mess a cut just by unguided hands.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
This is my reference video. As you can see the result is not perfect, however lots of useful tips on cutting and folding.

How To Make A Metal Project Enclosure - YouTube

What strikes me is that compared to a wooden enclosure, which I have building several prototypes of so far, metal enclosures seem to involve fewer steps and a better finish overall.

The DFMA concept can be applied here: using the minimum number of parts and the minimum number of steps to build an item. Metal enclosures really enable DFMA techniques - for example you can create a box out of two sheets of metal - 2 parts and about 10 folding actions.

https://www.unm.edu/~bgreen/ME101/dfm.pdf

Last edited:
Quite certain they must follow the "official" safety standards as any commercial product does.

Mains voltage, fire hazard, etc. are as deadly no matter WHO built the device.

Only difference I see between Commercial and DIY is that they usually need to submit samples to some official certification bureau to show valid certificates when needed, specially when going through Customs or stuff simply gets retained there, while DIY does not leave your Home, but in any way respect them for your own safety.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
While we are on the subject, and possibly off topic, is there anything missed from this:

Avoid mains electricity
The safest way is to completely avoid using mains voltage in a computer circuit. Most electronic circuits work on low voltages and can be powered by batteries or an external plug-in transformer. The safest way to use a transformer is to use a power-brick (such as the power adapters normally used with laptop computers) or a plug transformer (known as a wall wart in the US) such as those used to power your mobile phone. These will convert the voltage down to a safe voltage that the electronic circuit will work at (eg. 6v to 12v for the Arduino) and in most cases also convert the signal from AC (as supplied from a mains socket) to DC (used for most electronic circuits). These transformers will usually be double-insulated and have no high-voltage parts that are accessible by a user. Make sure that the transformer is suitable for the type of circuit (eg. voltage and current rating) and for the power supply it is being plugged into.

You should still check for any physical damage to the transformer as you should prior to plugging anything into mains electricity.

If you need high power then an external power supply may not always be an option in which case extra care should be taken.

Fire can be caused by overheating due to overloading a plug socket, or if too high a current going through a particular component or wire.

Use the correct fuse
An important step towards protecting against fire is to ensure that the correct fuse size is used. In home made projects then the fuse should be selected that is above, but as close as possible to the maximum current that the circuit will draw.

The other factor under the control of the circuit designer is to ensure that all components and cables are rated within above the maximum current draw for the circuit. This should not be an issue for the low current signals within a typical circuit, but is something that needs to be considered when switching large loads such as lights and motors etc.

Electrical safety for diy electronic circuits - Electronics information from PenguinTutor

I hate to be off-topic, but maybe take the opportunity to look at this now and avoid problems later. So for me it comes down to:

How do I know my AC/DC adapter will not catch fire?

Should I use a fuse rated to just below the adapter max current?