Tips for building simple ALU cases

Pem nuts -- from an HP counter which was toast. The hand tool for inserting can develop 2,500 pounds but probably costs a small fortune:

Jack,

Pennsylvania Manufacturing makes a very nice press fit threaded insert for thin sheet metal.

I buy them in 1,000 piece bags. The process is simple, make a hole of the right size, select a PEM nut for the material thickness, lightly place in the hole and then smash it.

You can use a hammer, if careful not to move the insert. I use a mandrel press. I looked at the commercial inserter machines, but they still require manual nut placement.

The closest to a problem is picking matching material. Using a steel PEM nut in aluminum might result in corrosion issues if any moisture is present. So they also come in aluminum and stainless steel.

I do have the hand tool to insert the tubular expanding variety. But of course for those you can just use a matching bolt and wrench.

Thinking of it this week I need to do a run of 1,000 security microphone plates, each of which takes two 6-32 PEM nuts. Surprisingly easy to do and not really take much time!

FYI. 1 Ton Arbor Press & Other Arbor Presses - Harbor Freight Tools

I did bend the handle on my similar unit, so replaced it with a longer rod of tool steel.

Last edited:
@Simon7000 -- it will look nice next to my Harbor Freight sheet metal brake. (The Harbor Freight in North Jersey has toys for kids and is near to a McDonalds which makes it a popular weekend destination for dads and grand-dads)

Years ago I gave my Delta drill press to #2 son, he returned it as he's moving to the hilly wilds of PA -- with a new chuck off someone's CNC machine.

It is amazing you can cut most aluminum with wood bits, but beware when it catches and tends to launch the part if it is light enough. I once was cutting 1/2 angle aluminum with a miter saw and a 6” piece flew by my head and imbedded in the drywall behind me. Clamping both pieces is mandatory! When cutting panels on the table saw it’s a breeze however it throw chips of aluminum everywhere even with the vacuum on, eye protection + face shield recommended. For pushing large aluminum pieces into a dado they make some great pusher blocks - buy one before you try. The tapered multi-bits work great for big holes and will produce a rounder hole than a drill bit. As mentioned earlier cutting a grove 2/3 the depth of your panel makes it a cinch to fold.

Bill

Are you sure, that you can produce cheaper?

I started to build simple Aluminium cases by myself since it's cheaper then buying them and since I can do them of the exact size I need.
Plus I enjoy DIY ;)
You can see a video on how I do it currently here: How to build Metal Case CHEAP - YouTube

Thanks
I thought several times of posting this, and you might think I going to bash you.. Far off, not even close to that.. It's just my feeling, that I think I'm going to show you another way of doing things.. even it might sounds like looking out for a conflict, no not at all.. just see what I mean with it..

Sorry my Friend, I doubt that you can produce cheaper - this might be true for low Quality, but not for good Quality.
I have watched your Video.. and Please forgive me, I'm one who is a DIY for life. But if it comes to cases then these must have some standard, and Sorry, the ones you make, would not cover that Standard I expect..

Recently I ordered a Case partly Custom made, partly they had already build some part of it.. and it cost me 50 Bucks.. If you count all the Folding table you made, the Aluminum Plate, your time and all other what comes with it, and last but not least the quality, then sorry your DIY is a no go..

There is no need to fold that cases, make angles but smaller ones as from others told or suggested.. just thick and wide enough to hold two or three or four screws.. Use Screws you can easy hide, and really soon it looks also beautiful.. and then it's really DIY, Be not satisfied with what you got.. go for more, go for all go for quality, it uses up the same time same effort, to make something neat and clean and good, as just making it "so la la." this is a expression (German Expression) and can hardly be translated..

Make that all angles are 90Degrees, and that you cut the aluminum straight, that it looks plain and you got the chance to go where you want to be.. but the way you show in the Video, that's a Waste of Time. waste of material and last but not least it is not something which blows anyone away, except may you..

Check out the pics and then tell if you still think that you can make this cheaper..
This Case with all what you see inclusive screws, cost 52USD to make..

Also included Knobs, Switch, Back AC Connector, all Screws. Anodized and Silk Screened and this is STILL DIY because I gave them the Specs as I want to have it.. Design IT Yourself.

But I'm sure, you're enough eager to do that, and I'm also sure you can do that, all it takes you need to change your approach of the kind of cases you going to do..
Pressed ones, like you want to do, are not that user friendly. These where produced by Japanese in the Sixties. Long time ago, and then the repair guy found out that it is a hell of a PIA to repair Electronic devices in Pressed or molded cases.. Spend hours of getting the interior out and hours to get it back in, then when tested and not worked, all over again.

But still this is your decision, and it shows you, and your way of thinking.
This post shall no be anything close but far from criticizing you or put your work down, but just may to open your eyes, there are other ways to do..
Which you can achieve with your Home tools, your craftsmanship your ideas and last but not least your Will. ..

So please be not angry at me. because I'm outspoken when it comes to things like that. And By the Way I could not do it better... This is one thing for sure..

In the end the profit is on your side, either way if you still doing the way as you show in your Video, or if you are changing your approach to do..

BUT one thing is for very sure: you will not be able to make it cheaper in the same quality. So take a look at that, this is a very important part of it..

I hope I could give you some thoughts, never mind the outcome.. And again,
You have the tools to do.. and you are able to do., I can see that in the Video..
Regards
Chris Hess

Attachments

• 1. Front plate top.jpg
    1. Front plate top.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 2. Angle to hold fixing screws.jpg
    2. Angle to hold fixing screws.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 3.Frontpalte.jpg
    3.Frontpalte.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 4. Knobs Switches and Feets.jpg
    4. Knobs Switches and Feets.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 251
  • 5. back.jpg
    5. back.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
@ WntrMute2
No. Not at all, I just differ in thinking when I read sentences like " since it's cheaper then buying them"

Here the link it's from Guangzhou China.
I have a Modified Version, not like the one you see. The one I have placed the pictures, is made by order from me, and there only for the front plate.. the rest is from the case you can see in the link., and the price is also not the same, because I buy there quite often.

There is also some shipping costs, but it is still cheaper and more professional than the Hand Made Cases I saw in this link here..
And, again, I have found that shop when I was in China in 2019, and I buy almost all aluminum Heat Sinks, and Cases there, because I can DIY them
Design It Yourself, and they will make it exactly as I send the paperwork with the design..

And because I respect anyone, who does DIY, I didn't placed a link in my first post. Work is perfect. We in the western world are not able to cope with these prices..
I give you a Hint..
If I buy a Regulator 7818 Transistor here in Swiss, then I pay about 3 -5 Francs for that Regulator, equals 3 -5 US$. then comes shipping with another if they shop hits me, 5 - 8 US$.. this makes at max 13USD for an 7818..
Not enough it might take up to 4 or even more days until I get them...
I buy these from Mouser Texas, for under 10 US$ and not only 1 piece... and I will get it within 3 days..
The aluminum they use on that case is 2.5 mm thick the front plate is 10mm thick here I would pay only for the Aluminum more then a 100US$, then also it would not be anodized, not Silk screened. If someone can live without that for a case, you see everyday when using it, then OK. Not for me, I like it nice. and I like it perfect, and if anyone here wants to do it perfect then the price will be 250 and up.. this was the meaning of my post.
I buy old G5 MAC Cases and modify them just to place my Amplifier in them.. because these cases look good.. and still it's DIY..Because I modify these the way I want it to be..by hand and also home tools. but there are some thing you need to take a closer look, if you DIY or buy, again, No intention to change anyone's mind to buy it..But, again it is not cheaper if you DIY and make Quality.

And also, he does a good job with his case. I read some post here, about Corners and building it better, but then why it must look ugly? why using RIVET, sticking out of the metal, why not go a step forward, using 2.5mm Aluminum and hide the screws or the rivets? Because then it gets expensive.
I hope you might understand my post now..
Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
You must be joking.
Forum is DO It Yourself, not Order It Yourself.

Let´s go along your line of thought:
I assume you will build *something* inside that case: a preamp, power amp, processor, whatever.
Why build it AT ALL?
You can ALWAYS buy cheaper premade in China.

or:

why bother to fry an egg at home? :eek:

after you wasted money on a stove, pan, a *WHOLE* :eek: bottle of oil (what a WASTE), even a BIC lighter (what for? it can light 500 times and you need just one) , etc. plus the definite danger of getting 3rd degree burns or even set your house on fire, it´s MUCH cheaper to go to the friendly Cafe 1 block away and order one for an Euro or two. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Special side note about "some shipping costs" :p :p :p

FWIW this whole thread is about diying Alu cases at home, you should have complained earlier. :cool:

DIY is a very broad church.
It is good to be reminded of the options - scratch build, modify a commercial product, buy a commercial product, bespoke or off the peg, reclaim something old, use something whose original purpose was entirely different.
You can DIY simply because you can or you can DIY because you can make something unique. You can sometimes DIY to save money but often it will cost you more.
I consider it a waste to DIY a case that is more expensive and looks worse than a commercial offering so would always do a cost-benefit analysis first.

I have 'made' three different cases.
1 - plain alu boxes from Maplin - for my amplifiers hidden behind my speakers.
2 - Hammond diecast alu boxes, pre-finished in black - different amplifiers hidden behind speakers.
3 - own design pre-amp case, professionally laser cut & pressed from stainless steel - made as a freebie.

My next project is to rip the guts from an amplifier & replace with a scratch built control PCB, bought class D board & laptop brick; ie a re-used case.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.
And where do you draw the line? You make and sell amplifiers therefore your cases are commercially produced; made by you.

You must be joking.
Forum is DO It Yourself, not Order It Yourself.
Where did I write to order?
I wrote DESIGN IT YOURSELF > So when someone designs something then he usually does something, and does comes from do and do = MAKE, Correct?

I assume you will build *something* inside that case: a preamp, power amp, processor, whatever.
Why build it AT ALL?
You can ALWAYS buy cheaper premade in China.
Because mine is better

Question to you., So you also make all transistors, all knobs, all resistors with DIY? You buy them
On top of them I wrote very clear that the guy made a great job, and I would not be able to do=Make it better. you will not find one sentence where I wrote not do DIY, The Edge I pictured, shows the way to create an angle to fix front an sides... not alike the one someone else uses. Tell me what's wrong with this..

Or do you sell your Amplifiers you sell in cases like this
I also read the word SIMPLE - but is it as useful. Just be changing the way the bottom, sides, top and front are made he would have a SIMPLE AND USEFULL Case.. this is what is all about.. and with his tools I would be able to do that.!

This case might be good for that who made it. And again I respect that he does this and all others as well. But you also need to respect if I try to show a way how he or she or anyone could make it better.

And BTW the case came in Parts not assembled, so assembling was also DIY

And if you really look at my two posts, then you might see that I just complain, about his Sentence, He could make it cheaper than Buy one, and that is none sense at all. Cheaper OK but with what Quality.

Special side note about "some shipping costs" :p :p :p

FWIW this whole thread is about diying Alu cases at home, you should have complained earlier. :cool:

I have relatives in China and as well as in Thailand. So if I need something, then I can send them a note and I will get China Prices,,
Till 2 years ago I would not have to pay much for Shipping, but now Europe has removed special Shipping agreement, so we have to pay the full price, except someone wants to wait for 3 months, until he gets what he has ordered..
Shipping of that case was 35 USD, and still cheaper as when I would make it by myself.

My DIY is following...
Design the Circuit, design the PCB, Make the PCB from ordering the PCB, till it is finished assembled.. and built into the CASE, finished. Ready to use for a long time to come. All DIY
I also wind my Toroidal small transformers and COILS at home.

I also make the Prototype of Copper *10 mm thickness* Heat Transfer Plates to and from heat sink by HAND, with a Saw, a File a drill and Sand Paper..

All my Cases are mod Cases which taking a lot of time., because modding aluminum, does not allow error or mistakes...

That Amplifier I'm working right now on it, has already a 100 hours or more DIY, and it is far from finished. I have reviewed it the third time already and today it will be the fourth time, because it does not work the way I expected, even it sounds very good, but I'm not satifsied with it..
This is what I try to bring across the table. if you DIY then get the best out of it..!

And as I wrote I like nice Cases, even it is not all DIY, but if DIY then I promise you I will do the best I can, and will not stop to do it over and over again if there is need of..For me only the best is good enough if it comes to DIY.!

But anyway thanks for your Post, it's only correct that you mention it..
Regards Chris

Last edited:
I understand your point. But, posting in a thread that is discussing building a case yourself about how you order a better one seems inappropriate. Posting where and how you arrived at your case in a thread discussing where to source a case is appropriate.
I build a few things from schematics for instance and have even posted a few details including where I bought my chassis. But I wouldn't post the purchase of it in this thread .
In a thread that was discussing winding one's own transformers, advising one just buy one is likely to get a similar reaction.
But keep posting away here if you must. I'd recommend you start your own thread about proccuring your chassis as the ordering process seems somewhat challenging but the result looks nice!

Nice case hpro.
Post some pictures when it's finished. :)
Takes a while,, but I can assure you that pictures will follow..

Artwork of the Board is in work on my laptop, but since I spend more than 100 hours on that SEPP = Single End Push Pull Class A Amp as Nelson Pass Calls it,

And Right now, I'm working on Version 4 , because the amp has turned out not as expected..

But today I can say something about the spec already..

Class A
Variable Single End Amplifier

Idle Current = 350 ma
Full power output @ 8 Ohms 60 Watts, @ 4 Ohms 75Watts and 100 Watts @ 2 Ohms..

This Class a Runs COOL without fan..
Linearity of the AMP differs from what I thought it brings because of simulation was more than double as much as I get at present time... but it ain't like that.. so I will do it over and over again until I got the specs I wish to get..

The Case will be as already known, a modified G5 MAC Pro Case..
The Case I ordered from China, will be a Class a Line Drive Full Transistors, with Tube Preamp input for MM & MC

And of course Single End.
Happy Weekend..
Chris

Account Closed
Joined 2018
As the resident curmudgeon on here (and I'm sure there are many others), all that DIY about making, bending, etc is fine.

But for a lousy $35 and online ordering from Mouser, I can get a swell aluminum chassis/lid from Hammond, quite suitable for housing the guts of an amplifier.

Attachments

• IMG_8247.jpg
    IMG_8247.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_8264.jpg
    IMG_8264.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 224
Yes, correct that's why you can not find it..

I also wrote that the Case is Standard case and that I made the Front Plate which fits me..And I send the measurements how I want it to him. You see there are only 6 Aluminum plates which needed to be screwed together so one don't need an university degree.. The edges are a square aluminum with 4 screw holes in it.. everybody can do that and think of that..

Again, made my Front plate design and send it to my relatives and they gave it to that shop to build.. But these cases are STANDARD, 2U and there is nothing to have be reinvented again... I also redesigned the top cover in an other way, that we do not see, the finish of the sides, but it is as it is, they also use what they have, and because of this I do not send this case back. AGAIN the case you see in the Picture of mine, this happens one time only that way and you can not order that anywhere in China. It's made one time only. But there are many similar to that one..

This is the way the business goes, and as the most easy way for me I gave you his shop link on EBAY because he is selling on EBAY..

Nothing wrong with that.
If you understood anything else then I guess it's my mistake, Sorry, but I can provide full documentation. Anyway, most of today's Cases are designed in that style.. ie. you take a standard design and then you change everything to your needs. So that you like it. exactly there is safes cost, exactly there it's Unique and your design but only the part which were redesigned by you, and I stated clearly that in my first post that I redesigned the FRONT PLATE for my needs..

Thanks

Regards..

Enjoy Weekend.