This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi rick
so you want to build a gainclone

Ok you wount Cost
Hold on a nin I Am building the JLH Class a Amp From the paper up yes magic Amp
But the heat sinks will cost about 250 UK pounds not to mention the power supply caps about 20-plus UK pounds plus each I have to have 12 of theas Great stuff yes But disaster lost job so there is a new thread there hi if on the dole check out the class a Amp site for the JLH Class a Amp and so to the gainclone on the dole well the furst thing I would do is read the gainclone thred I am still doing that Buy the way have a look at this class a anp site

http://www.gmweb.btinternet.co.uk/jlhesl.htm

ok so you are building a gainclone amp right there is a lot of guys on this thread that know the gainclone but I think that most of them look on peters amp sorry guys
Ok to ||Cost uk price for some parts
Transformer 300 VA 18-0-18 Volts uk price 23.99 pounds or about
LM3875from12.79 Caps well go or the chepest and if it works go for the stuff that peater sayes is the stuff go for it from RS to you http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/...0&3226787542=3226787542&catoid=-95146531Sorey but checit out
hope his helps
colin

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Steve,
Thanks for answering the questions re the resistor and battery power. I've got a pair of 90 Ah car batteries under my desk right now as part of my UPS for my computer. They should power up a gainclone for a long long time! BUT I would also be interested in an answer to Olle's question: Will plus and minus 12v work OK?

Variac said:
Thanks for answering the questions re the resistor and battery power. I've got a pair of 90 Ah car batteries under my desk right now as part of my UPS for my computer. They should power up a gainclone for a long long time!

Hahaha! Damn! I would certainly hope so. :)

BUT I would also be interested in an answer to Olle's question: Will plus and minus 12v work OK?

The amp will work just fine with a +/- 12 volt supply. What it boils down to is if you'll be able to get sufficient volume out of your speakers with 6 or 7 watts.

What's the rated sensivitiy of your speakers? Also, what size room do you have them in and how close do you generally sit to the speakers?

se

Peter? Old trannie; Battery v. AC

Fedde thanks
Sure cost varies with components, the question was how much for what you (or anyone) has built and is *happy with*.

If you were to use an old amp, I wouldn’t have thought a 20 y.o. cheap amp with a *decent sounding transformer (NAD/ Rotel?) would be any cheaper than a decent new trannie.
I guess you’re probably getting a free case and connections.
A retired compter would also give the case, not sure about the trannie. planet10 are you here?

Peter,
beautiful case aside, what was your approx. total component cost?

Sonic debate aside, how does the
cost of a battery v. AC supply compare??
:bigeyes:
Getting a realistic idea of how much damage building *12 reasonably good* GCs will do to my bank

TIA

Getting a realistic idea of how much damage building *12 reasonably good* GCs will do to my bank

Rick, there are so few components involved in a Gainclone (you said to exclude casing etc) that it is a very quick job to enter the component details in a speadsheet, surf your online suppliers and the enter the costs for each item. If you use a speadsheet, you can do a 'what if' for different component options.

I've done one but as I already had some of the components, my total won't be accurate for you.

Also, with all the suggested variations, you can't really ask others for a final total. It depends on whether you have a PSU for each channel, if each PSU will have one or two rectifier bridges, if you will bypass caps or use snubber caps, the type of caps you will use etc etc. That's why nobody can give you a figure.

Which leaves remaining:

> spreadsheet 'what if'
Good idea. There will be quite few 'what ifs', just like an amp manufacturer, building to a price or to a sound.

I haven't seen a bill of materials, which some have done with other projects, but as you say there's only about a dozen bits.
When I get time to trawl back through & interpret, I’ll do one.
As I haven’t built any electronics to date:bawling:
This will take a while
for other newbies, I’ll post it when done:nod:

The range is very wide: Fedde 50-400 euro (= 8*)!:bigeyes:
I’ll assume subject to detailed costing, average/ target of say euro/ USD 150-200.

Which leaves remaining::nod:
Any comments on the relative typical average
(in each using mid price components)
cost of a battery v. AC supply??
:)

Any comments on the relative typical average

50UKP per channel if you really must have a figure! ;)

cost of a battery v. AC supply??

Again depends on choice of components but batteries will be more expensive unless you can find them cheap, eg used ones. Also you will have to factor in the cost of a charger and before you ask, avaerage 30UKP.

List of components? Depends on what you are building. But PD has a circuit diagram of his Gainclones on this thread if you want a starter.

If you haven't built anything before then you can't do enough reading on this subject. It will stand you in better stead than getting all the information fed to you by others.

The more channels you build into one chassi the cheaper it gest as the transformer capacity per amp can be lower thanks to all channels not being driven full power at the same time. If you wish that is.

Mine were about EUR 25 per channel excluding the box and power supply.

cost effective

Nuuk, Thanks again.
> you can't do enough reading on this subject
Sure, subject to little time for “research”, but chipping away.

UrSv
Thanks more channels into one chassis (I’ll need 10! maybe with 4 transformers) sounds more cost effective

Olle – frugalphile of the Month!
:bigeyes:

cable between PSU and amp

I've now upgraded my Gainclone with one more channel so I now have four channels total, and I use it as my main amp + surround amp (no center speaker).
One 300VA 25+25 for four channels. Two bridges. Plenty of power in my small room..

I tried Cat5 cable (like on Feddes Thor Amp) between bridges and amps, but now I use cheap cobber wire, cause I had no room for all those Cat5 cables in this small case and I nearly went crazy with all those wires ;)
This propably degraded sound quality somewhat and soon I'll rewire with better cable. Which cables are recommended between PSU and amp?
The case really looks like a bird's nest now. Although I have no hum.

Is speaker phase normal as in any other amp, or does the inverted circuit mean that one should reverse phase on one of the speakers?
What about absolute phase? I changed absolute phase and got much better bass on some other speakers, I tried it on....

By the way: Allen-Bradley feedback resistors, Caddock 0,2 R in output. Roedenstein MKP1841's. Standard 1000uf caps. Will try some better ones sooner or later.

/Jan

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 990
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.