This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After spending the weekend listening to battery powered gc I can say I am addicted and I am convinced it's the way to go.
I started off with the usual analytical frame of mind but after a few tracks I was enjoying the music so much that I didn't care that much in analysing all those audiophile factors like extension,definitionetc ,etc.
It's certainly the most fundamental "tweak" that I have done on the gc and doesn't really compare with the differences from caps , bridges , wiring and so on that I have heard the past couple of months of "tuning".
The battery powered gc is just so much more natural sounding, more organic and of course more musical that descriptions in hi-fi terms would not really do it justice.
I was listening to Nora Jones yesterday and I swear I could almost smell her perfume. If you try this with your gc don't let a S.E.T. lover into your listening room because he will feel an urge to kidnap your little gc and not care about the consequences.
It really has a glorious mid-range and breathtaking spaciousness without sounding soft in the bottom end.If the Ac powered version is good in 3 dimensions well the battery powered one almost adds a 4th dimension (and no I was not ingesting illegal substances while listening to it).
I am still amazed at the transformation and I think perhaps gainclone plus batteries seems to be the silver bullet , at least for me.

Stabilized PSU

Has enybody tried a well filtered and stabilized PSU?
It may have similar results as the batteries, with less hassle.
It may be me, but I have serious doubts that the minimalist design of an unregulated PSU with only 1000 uf filtering is the way to go.
It makes me scratch my head.:scratch:

Re: Stabilized PSU

carlosfm said:
It may be me, but I have serious doubts that the minimalist design of an unregulated PSU with only 1000 uf filtering is the way to go.

A toroid with 100µF is fast, very fast. As a battery is
A power supply with 60000µF can deliver huge amount of current, without much ripple. Nearly like a battery. But it ain't as fast as with only 1000µF.

But you don't have to charge your toroid every night

Re: Stabilized PSU

carlosfm said:

I tried it and it took away all those things that protos mentiones here:;)

protos said:

The battery powered gc is just so much more natural sounding, more organic and of course more musical that descriptions in hi-fi terms would not really do it justice.
I was listening to Nora Jones yesterday and I swear I could almost smell her perfume. If you try this with your gc don't let a S.E.T. lover into your listening room because he will feel an urge to kidnap your little gc and not care about the consequences.
It really has a glorious mid-range and breathtaking spaciousness without sounding soft in the bottom end.If the Ac powered version is good in 3 dimensions well the battery powered one almost adds a 4th dimension (and no I was not ingesting illegal substances while listening to it).

I will try the battery too, maybe even today.;)

Re: Re: Stabilized PSU

Bricolo said:
A power supply with 60000µF can deliver huge amount of current, without much ripple. Nearly like a battery. But it ain't as fast as with only 1000µF.

Fast? What exactly do you mean by fast? 1,000 uF of capacitance isn't going to deliver current any faster than 60,000 uF of capacitance.

Oh, and please don't quote Junji Kimura on this one. What he's said on the issue is just a lot of marketing doubletalk.

se

Re: Re: Stabilized PSU

Bricolo said:

But you don't have to charge your toroid every night

Bricolo,

what is it that is "fast" in the example you mention?

There is nothing inherently fast in a small PS the way I see it.

/Peter

National Semiconductor version

Has anyone made an amp according to the National Semiconductor application note for the LM3875? If so, how does it sound? I read that someone suggested to try it but I have not come across a response from anyone stating that he did it. I have some samples on order so maybe I'll give it a try. However, if someone has tried it and feels that the inverted versions, Thorsten's and others' are much better then I won't waste my time.

Thanks

Vic

"By the book."

Has anyone made an amp according to the National Semiconductor application note for the LM3875?

Hey Vic,

The only version I built when I had some time a while back was the application listed in the National data sheet. It sounded pretty good, but I am sure that it could stand some tweaking. I was listening to it on some rather inefficient speakers (~83 dB/W/m.) I also used readily available components from Digikey such as Panasonic capacitors, BG resistors, etc.

If you are just into piddling around and are interested in forming your own opinion of different versions of the amplifier constructed around the LM series power op-amps start with the data sheet version and experiment from there. I would recommend protoboard construction for experimentation until you decide on what you enjoy most and then construct it point-to-point.

Link to pictures of my initial amplifier:

By the book.

Later,

gainclone Tranformer Help

Hi peter

I am about to start building the gainclone amp to you’re scamatic with the same parts if I can get them all hear in UK I don’t see much problems hear But wish to know if transformer will be ok it’s a 300 VA 18-0-18 Volts And what sort of power I will get from it into a 6ohms 89db 1w And as this is new on me about skinning the 1,000 caps can you inliting me on the benefits of this

Thanks
Colin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.