This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And another one with a blue LED in the right knob (the red and black test wires are for LED testing only).

After playing around with the wiring (0.14mm) I see that there is room enough inside the knob to let the wire expand when turning the knob.

I expect more challenges when assembling the production model which has no open roof.

Maarten

Attachments

• dsc03337.jpg
    dsc03337.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,228
cowanrg said:
looks good! i like the simplicity.

It's hard work making it look simple, and i can assure you it wasn't easy to design. It took me about 3 models before i got it all right! :bigeyes:

And there's still some things that i have to take care off. I need something (cones?) to put the PSU on. And since the PSU is round, and i want to keep it simple that's going to be difficult.
Anybody got some suggestions?

This is what i've got so far!

Attachments

• gainclone power.jpg
    gainclone power.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,121
And there's still some things that i have to take care off. I need something (cones?) to put the PSU on. And since the PSU is round, and i want to keep it simple that's going to be difficult.

This was a big decision for me in building my monoblocks too! I didn't like the look of the 'skis' that MF used on their cylindrical housings.

In the end, I went for one spike on the rear and a crossbeam at the front with little feet on either end.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Re: ....or maybe something original???

GringoAudio said:
As nice as it is it is a complete knock-off of 47 labs. Try something original...especially since you hinted about commercialization and production. Just an Industrial Designer's opinion. 47 Labs paid for their Industrial Design, why shouldn't you?

It was our first intention to make a lookalike, but i believe we did a better job than 47 labs. Think of it as a tribute to 47 Labs. Don't forget that this is my first GC and for me this has been a great learning expirience. I'm designing a new model at the moment, so after these are finished i'm sure we'll do an even better (original) job. :D

PS. Somehow you don't seem to have a problem with the fact that everybody is copying the electrical design from 47 labs.

Nuuk,

Nice GC, i guess i'm gonna have to try to make something like you have done.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Re: ....or maybe something original???

Jerry T. said:
PS. Somehow you don't seem to have a problem with the fact that everybody is copying the electrical design from 47 labs.

Actually, most people here are building inverting amps, which is quite different than 47Labs Gaincard.

And beside the PS, there is not much similarity between your amp and what 47Labs is offering. I don't see anything wrong with improving an already good design ;)

If I remember correctly, a pic of this amp appeared in this thread more than 6 monts ago. Any reason for not finishing it earlier?

Re: Re: Re: ....or maybe something original???

Peter Daniel said:

If I remember correctly, a pic of this amp appeared in this thread more than 6 monts ago. Any reason for not finishing it earlier?

Yes, i've been quite busy with work, i go to school 2 nights a week, and there was the holiday season. And we had to wait for some exotic parts. :eek:
Anyway, the plan is to finish this project by the end of November.

It is really nicely built.

So sorry if I sounded negative. It is a sweet project. One to be proud of. I am sure the next one will be even better... and probably more original ;). I just stuck my GC in an old case and did not venture to try fabricating one from scratch like you have so I shouldn't talk. It is really, really fine work.

Re: It is really nicely built.

GringoAudio said:
So sorry if I sounded negative. It is a sweet project. One to be proud of. I am sure the next one will be even better... and probably more original ;). I just stuck my GC in an old case and did not venture to try fabricating one from scratch like you have so I shouldn't talk. It is really, really fine work.

No problem, it's just a hobby that has the potential to grow into something good! ;)
I always try to get something good out of any comment, so there's no need to apologize.
And in some respect you are right, it is a replica, but built with "wanting to know how" in mind. I couldn't design my new (first) model without trying to build this model first. I had absolutely no knowledge of electronics what so ever (i still don't know much about it), but i know enough now to be able to design (and build) the model that i had in mind in the first place.

I've even got an idea to build a recordplayer, but that won't be for another year before i can even start to do some sketches on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.