There are great sounding and not super expensive 2-way designs. Why go for 3-way, then?

Good old times of kabuki speakers...

Btw, the premise of this thread is there are great sounding cheap 2way speakers out there. I am still waiting for op to tell me what they are and where to get them.
Nitpicking but OP said "not super expensive".
IMO, a well engineered woofer box should take into account dipole or 'antiphase' vibrations coming from the motor.

I've decided on a biggish 2-way that I'm designing. For the 12" woofer the whole box will be treated like a big waveguide, so the exterior angles are a lot smoother than with a cookie-cutter 6 sided figure. I'm also attempting to decouple the vibrating speaker mass from the box. This is like levitating by pulling yourself up by your shoelaces. The speaker has to be bolted to something, just preferably not the box! The actual coupling between the speaker and the box needn't be stronger than a rubber surround.

The tweeter is still up in the air, but possibly using an Alpair 5.3 on a dipole flower shaped baffle. Exponential slots cut between the 'petals' smooth out diffraction effects that would otherwise occur with a round baffle. OTOH I'm enticed by promises of cleaner high-sensitivity sound with compression drivers, just worried that I might get something screechy and non-refundable.

Active XOs with PCBs from JLCPCB. 12dB/oct, Linkwitz transform for the bass and to make the woofer compatible with current drive. Presently using overpowered class-d amps with series resistors, but changing to open-drain class-a. None of it's super expensive, but not cheap either, and I especially value the fun time spent designing and building.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm enticed by promises of cleaner high-sensitivity sound with compression drivers, just worried that I might get something screechy and non-refundable.
If you can design a waveguide that works well within the range and with your room, and can measure and equalise it (not necessarily flat) then you have nothing to worry about.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
At this point I am only interested in 10-way speakers. I just can't listen to a 9-way, or (gag) a mere 8-way. Imagine asking a driver to cover more than a single octave... why it is just outrageous. A 3-way (eye roll) is not hi-fi... it is not low-fi... it is No-Fi... I had this amp specially made, it goes to 11.
I seem to remember a post by Lynn Olsen where he proposed just such a speaker, although it may have been only an 8-Way, all first order XOs an octave apart starting at 40Hz.
Damn it, if your new amp does really go to 11 we'll have to design some new ones that go to 12+

My friend has been designing speakers, for HiFi, PA and MI LFSys. He is fastidious about the design of crossovers and does not use 3 way designs. He does use 10,12 and 15” woofers and compression driver/horns capable of going down below, the beaming region of the woofer. To get the correct response you must match/use the horn and comp driver, not necessarily from the same brand.

I use one of his designs, the Silverstone, an FRFR passive design that outclasses most HiFi speakers.

With enough speakers, the air loading goes up as well. The limit being 112dB/W (iirc). A big line array might only require a few watts to deliver 100dB at 10m distance.

As far as I can tell, line arrays are monumentally efficient. It's the smaller PAs that end up being thrashed with coil-smoking amounts of power because of distance-squared attenuation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
1) not necessarily, frankly !
2) high efficienty : just if you need it or your normal hifi has not dynamic margin (= poor hifi driver choice)
3) Nah, not necessarily, Dunlavy is not the only one that made good loudspeakers !
4) Can we agree for a normal living room here between 25 m² and 35 m² most flat and little house cases, a 12" is enough ? (I mean low Fs enough)

Im building as we speak, a 2 way 12” based, in a 100l cabinet
i fully expect that the bass of that speaker will be a clear cut compromise in terms of bass definition vs my 15” in 150l cabs

1- 2pi vs 4pi. The wider the baffle, the lower in the midrange you get direct sound (2pi)
2- hi-eff= low powered amps= better
3- ill take constant phase, lower xo parts, ect. First order is a clear cut advantage
4- bigger is better

That whole 2pi vs 4pi thing -- it's hardly accurate, anyway. A lot depends on room placement and coupling to the floor.

For a super shallow 6dB per octave roll-off rate, the woofer voice had better be 1" diameter and about 5mm high to get great performance out to 5 or 10kHz, which is hardly feasible if you also want room shaking bass.

That is generally true but for touring, line arrays are usually passive fed from DSP based LMS.
So they're active.
wide baffle is where real hifi begins
hi efficiency is where real hifi begins
first order xo is where real hifi begins
15” woofers is where real hifi bass begins
First order? Nope.

Otherwise I basically agree.