• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The YARRA Preamplifier/HPA for Melbourne DB Group Buy

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Vunce,

I am going to have to lower the voltage from the Yarra psu to 24v for the Hakuin. You had posted the following for member meanie"
Hi Meanie,
I also run 22v trafos in the Yarra capMx psu. The way I reduced the voltage is increase the CRCRC resistors on the daughter board itself to lower the voltage.
My PCA’s use 47R and 33R in those locations for approximately a 7-8v drop. I don’t remember what my Hakuin values are. Use Ohms Law to calculate what the resistor values need to be for your voltage drop.

If using Ohm's Law V=IxR, solving for R saying I need a 4 volt drop would be R=4V / I . What is a good value for I ?

Thanks for the help,

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Builders of the Yarra/Hakuin preamp,

Is the procedure for dropping the voltage thru the CRCRC of the Hakuin a trial procedure where one hooks up a 22R resistor using alligator clips to complete the circuit and then adjusts the voltage to the required value of 24 volts. If the voltage does not lower to 24 volts, another resistor is used and the process begins again ?

I assume that this will require test leads to be soldered to components for easy access for hooking up the alligator clips to the resistors, or is it easier to just solder the resistor in place and then de-solder if necessary. This is why I asked in the post above #1621 about a value for the current (I) so R can be calculated.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Myles,
Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. By thread activity notification for this thread isn’t working for some reason.

The Hakuin draws about 78mA total per channel. 70mA in the main output BJT and 8mA for the JFET input.

Using Ohms law, if you need a 4v drop in your PSU, R=V/I so R = 4v/0.078A or about 51ohms. Anything close like 47R to 56R can work. It will dissipate some heat though.

Power = i^2*R or 0.078^2*51= 310mW. So use at least 0.5w resistors and preferably 1W. You can do this in two stages for a CRCRC and 25R each for example.

Hope that helps. Schematic from Etsy shop.

IMG_7792.jpeg

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi jw,
I've got the psu's and the Melbourne and Hakuin DB built for each of the Yarra enclosures I have. Need some odds and ends, the ready for testing.

I also have the ALPre almost ready to test also. I got side lined a bit with building up the enclosure, the cpu coolers, the slb psu's, etc.. for the Nirvana amp. It is coming along nicely, waiting on some metal work.

I also built up 2 psu's for the V4H amp and V5 amp, along with amp boards and a preamp board. Need transformers so not tested yet

I also built up my ACA clone boards. Need some smps power for them, so no testing yet.

I built up the F3 clone amp boards, and 2 of the single rail slb's for them. They need transformers.

I built up a Quasimodo board to try out with a small PC powered O'scope that i bought off Nigel Wright ages ago.

I also built up 2 of the ACA Mini boards. Have some wood work to do on the bases for these.

I just received 2 new smd boards for the ALPre, and 2 of the PDM boards from Xrk Audio, so will be trying my hand at smd work with a skillet and hot air.

I have also spent a little time with the Miro Dac boards and psu boards I have.

If the enclosure for the Nirvana works out, I plan to change the enclosures for the FH9, the Xmas amp, and the Quasi amp. Each of these amps have some minor hiccups, but nothing serious.

So my overall plan was to reduce the inventory of parts that i was accumulating by building up all the boards that I have. This has opened up a lot of room in my work place, much to my relief. After all the boards are built, the testing phase begins, and then the transfer to the enclosures.

I am concentrating on the Nirvana, so eating up a lot of time. I will post some pic's once I get the enclosure built.

That's about it for now. With all the above, I have been supporting my wife through her battle with breast cancer. She had surgery last October to remove the cancer, finished up some chemo and radiation treatments, and is now in the healing phase. She is doing well. Quite a trooper she is(y)

Cheers for now and all the best. Golf season has begun, so building will be slow.

MM

Reactions: 1 user
Well I’m glad to hear your wife is doing well. That is such a life changer.

Cool to hear about all of your projects I progress. I tend to focus on one or two at a time so I can get them operating relatively quickly. For me it’s the last 10% or final finish work that is tough to get to. I’ve been without a whole space for the last year which has put all of my projects on hold. A few more months and I’ll be back up and running.

Good luck getting to this projects in between rounds of golf. And best of luck to your wife and continued improvement with her health!