The XSD Speaker

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey, I have a question, on mounting the woofer drivers. On drivers with exposed cones, I put a ring of that stick on foam tape on the back side to help seal it to the wood surface. On the drivers that fire into the tube, I just relied on the pad that came on the front of the basket to seal it. Is this sufficient? I know if leaky, the bass will suffer and I want to get all there is! How did others mount these drivers?

Russellc

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am wondering if the highs breaking in has more to do with the mid range rather than the planar (which should not change much with use since it is a Kapton membrane and pure resistive load). It must be the higher end on the PRV - which has one of the stiffest doped fabric M roll surrounds out there. Glad that it is smoothing out for you.

Maybe we can suggest that the midrange be connected to an amp and played music unmounted wrapped in some eggcrate foam and dropped inside an Igloo cooler to abate the sound. Play it pretty loud by itself in a sealed box for a few days to speed up that break in period. Okay some bass heavy tracks full range. Just don’t exceed 2.5mm xmax.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don’t think seals on woofer will cloud midrange/highs. It may improve the sensitivity if there are no air leaks.

I may be wrong about GRS planars. They have a membrane and all physical things have a spring compliance. Maybe that loosens up with play and sounds better now with time. I have not looked at it specifically.

It may also be film capacitors breaking in with age and use.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just ordered the mids directly from prvaudio. Got 10% off using coupon PRVNATION10 and free shipping.

Also sales tax was NOT charged so right at slightly under $180 shipped for both!
Lol here's a comment from me concerning overall sound quality. I just ordered another pair of those on sale midranges......if somehow I killed a midrange, I want this sound back. I have two spare woofers. Bought 4 extra, put a screwdriver through them! 😤

This speaker has taken way longer than any other one I have owned to break in. The mid range was obnoxious at first, and X mention in your chest bass. I did not see the bass until recently, my wife has been gone a couple weeks and I have played them a dozen days 12 hrs or more. I did also change the amp again and the Wolverine was an all around improvement as well.
Bill

Reactions: 1 users
I am so blessed. My sweet wife loves great music of nearly all types, great audio systems and I can put it anyplace I want, play as loud as I want, etc....mostly loud when we get in a party mood and want to dance which she is also exceptionally good at.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe I can build my XSD speakers, finally, this year, as long as not smoked out from big fires nearby, etc as I have a ton of remodeling to get done before I can start them(or at least should start them:).
Pretty sure I am going to build in dual 15" Image Dynamics I own into the corners behind the speakers since I am not going to know if I can get the XSD to work in the RV with or without them. That was I can use the subs on whatever I end up finding is the best topology for our main speaker needs. I have enough space to get the ported volume in a 9" deep cabinet so might go that route instead of a bit shorter sealed which I know would work very well as used 4 of them sealed in our home for a few years.
That said, I had originally planned to see what I could do without subs so bought 18 or maybe 20 of the 8" GRS drivers but now probably going to go with the 6.5" version like the original design. Still going active or passive and active until I know what speakers will work the best in our environment. I might have a bunch of 8's for sale.

The XSD should be great for acoustical as well as classical I am sure!

Rick