The Wire - Low Power Ultra High Perfromance (LPUHP) 16W Power Amplifier

sounds like you need a headphone amp =) the wire headphone amp perhaps? its exactly the same circuit with 1 buffer per channel, you would need 2 x the SE version. the PCBs are not available, not sure if Owen will be making blank PCBs available when he does his commercial stuff. if not I could help you out, with his consent.

breadboarding with a single rail supply would not be a good idea, the buffers need heatsink and you would not get close to the performance you are looking for and are used to without power/ground planes and SMD decoupling

Sounds pretty good!

I missed out on the original pcbs (because I was fiddle farting around) so I quickly made a poor man's interpretation.
Fast forward to today and I finally got around to getting to listen to it: the lpuhp sounds wonderful!

The giant caps are there purely because I had them left over and thought it was a waste just to use them to warm my sock drawer.
The heat-sink... well I was vertically challenged and had space on an order to fill out.

Credit where credit is due, thanks Owen for such a cool concept all round :cool:

boards.JPG

populated.JPG

inside.JPG

psu.JPG

heatsink.JPG

markaudio.JPG

Last edited:
WIN! That's a very fancy looking regulator you have there.

Nice to see I wasn't the only nut job trying to massively over sink little headphone buffers :D

Edit: your design is also somewhat original... I fell in love with OPC's general layout and was shirty I missed out lol.

Last edited:
Neat work guys!

Nice to see I wasn't the only nut job trying to massively over sink little headphone buffers :D

Edit: your design is also somewhat original... I fell in love with OPC's general layout and was shirty I missed out lol.

opc's 3 layer layout gives him a few advantages over trying to achieve the same with 2 layers, I'm sure you're as familiar with that as anyone having done your own layout!

I had a go at making an oversized heat spreader for my 'original' LPUHP - not quite as effective as the solutions you guys have but should get the job done nicely. I'm working on finishing up my LME49830 The Wire amps that'll go in the same enclosure as these LPUHP for a 4ch amp. I've been tapping some holes for my FET clamping bars in the Conrad MF30-151 heatsinks just tonight actually :D

-Thanks, I don't like using single lm317 337s for currents over 1A so I used a "proper" regulator. The 7818/7918-combo takes the forst say 100mA and from that, the transistors help out on the current.

Nice to see I wasn't the only nut job trying to massively over sink little headphone buffers
-I read about the heat "issue" so I figured out a way of spreading the heat to the side panels. The IC's stay around 40 degrees Celsius.

Your design is also somewhat original... I fell in love with OPC's general layout and was shirty I missed out lol.
-I was to late too. There are only small changes. Just a SE input so it's an opamp with 10 LME49600 followers for current. Feedback gain around is around 17.

opc's 3 layer layout gives him a few advantages over trying to achieve the same with 2 layers, I'm sure you're as familiar with that as anyone having done your own layout!
-Not really actually. The design had little to no issues.

Yah, I started off with a 2-layer design but quickly gave that the finger and settled on the 4-layer you see above.

That's the lat fet amp right?
Sounds excellent!

Edit: The extra couple of layers helped as my version is much less wide than OPC's which just made routing a complete pita.

Last edited:
LPUHP; Variation on a Theme

Hi,

Finally finished my variation on the LPUHP, a Low Power Desktop Amp [LPDA - acronyms are good :) ]. This was my first attempt at designing a PCB and running through the whole fabrication process. A few basic mistakes along the way, however, I'm very happy to report it all works & sounds fantastic.

The final version is a se-se duel mono layout, kind of like a big "The Wire" se-se but based on the LPUHP schematic. Gain is set at x4 [12dB]. Offset as measured in situ <1mV on both channels :)

10hrs of listening so far using some home made Foam Board 3" FR speakers [which sound better than my Mission 750 LE's], and it all sounds fantastic.

Paul

Attachments

• LPDA1.JPG
    LPDA1.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 858
  • LPDA2.JPG
    LPDA2.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 812
  • LPDA3.JPG
    LPDA3.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 760
  • BMS_LPDA_5.JPG
    BMS_LPDA_5.JPG
    492.6 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
Hi all, I also made my own version of LPUHP amp , I can see these are pretty popular, and I understand why, sounds great! Here are some picture of the build, I didn't made any case now because I want to integrate the 2 channel amps + preamplifier board I made (just for fun I put a picture of the preamplifier i just finished to build, specs are: 2x analog line input, 1x optical in, 1x s/pdif in, dlna server/renderer thru wifi or wired lan, digital control volume pga2320).
I think I will put some effort to make a better cooling of LME49600 as discussed many times before on this thread they come a little warmy but still ok...

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 320
This is another way to build an amplifier, low power, high quality. I'm very interest this problem. And the Wire - headphone amp.
The LME49610 look similar spec, but better than a bit.

Can you share gerber file, OPC? Thank you! I'm from Vietnamese, hard to buy your PCB.

Hi, the various versions of "The Wire" haven't be available from opc for a while now & he's working on commercial versions, so extremely unlikely to share Gerber files...

A few members have made their own variations based on the info opc has posted in this thread, which includes images of the original PCB's layout.

Paul

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
sorry what? we are talking about sharing gerbers based directly on photos, schematic and description of somebody else's design, in his own thread?

sorry guys this is getting offtap

rhanks so much for making sure Owen never shares a design ever again ...

Agreed...

The new and slightly improved boards are going to be made available on a permanent basis today or tomorrow, so hopefully that quells the uprising of imitations.

Keep an eye on all the respective threads for "The Wire" for more details this evening.

Cheers,
Owen