The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure you inquired Laptech for 3rd overtone SC cut crystals with frequencies useful for digital audio, and you found out that our low close in phase noise preacher was selling them at a loss, as a sign of respect and appreciation for the DIYAudio community.

No, I will not post here the prices for 10pcs. 24.576MHz SC cut crystals and no, I do not volunteer to organize a group buy, although the Laptech factory is in the driving range from the place I live. Life is too short for this kind of activity.

@ syn08 just leave tis thread. I am amazed you are still here to even beat the dead horse. If you provoke everyone to get banned you will be here alone eventually. So just pursue your things, we will pursue ours

@ all the rest, Andrea and his partner are busy with the dac and fifo. they did not forget about a new platform for future buys and will come back soon.

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I was on Summer break when all this went down, but for new end users like myself who just want to learn from threads I have interest that experience is gone forever.

I barely got a glimpse of Andrea's thread and will never be able to learn or build momentum in this thread. Although I have the product itself, I may have spent no more than 30 minutes here.

And for what, the THREAD_STARTER trying to defend his beliefs. It's the THREAD_STARTER's thread.

As you can see on other sites like ASR, this isn't unprecedented. It's best not to feed and just ignore the posts, but it's too late for that. A golden resource lost forever.

Look at all the damage caused on other sites too..

Using a 75 ohm RCA video cable for as an analog audio cable. | Page 3 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

syn08 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Last edited:
I have looked closely to Your now edited first response. You had been "offering" your "help" in getting crystals.
I think it could not get clearer than that. Aiming to take over the 'budiness' of the eliminated original Author?
Just asking. I do understand that now You had changed to this text:
No, I will not post here the prices for 10pcs. 24.576MHz SC cut crystals and no, I do not volunteer to organize a group buy, although the Laptech factory is in the driving range from the place I live. Life is too short for this kind of activity.

I have looked closely to Your now edited first response. You had been "offering" your "help" in getting crystals.
I think it could not get clearer than that. Aiming to take over the 'budiness' of the eliminated original Author?
Just asking. I do understand that now You had changed to this text:

Ok, so I have a commercial interest in distributing Laptech crystals and push the existing sellers out of the DIYAudio market? Please be more specific.

If so, don’t hold your breath until I’ll start the first group buy :rofl:. It’s funny how some can’t even imagine reasoning that goes beyond a commercial interest.

Last edited:
It’s funny how some can’t even imagine reasoning that goes beyond a commercial interest.

Its okay for you to believe in your conspiracy theories about people here, right? Just not okay for other people to believe in conspiracy theories about you? Looks like poetic justice to me. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy either.

Did you know that some people here believe you were paid off by another member who sells stuff here to help get rid of Andrea? The story goes that the person paying you and others was losing money because of Andrea measuring flaws in equipment being sold.

Personally I am very skeptical of conspiracy theories in general. It seems to be huge social problem associated with internet forums.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, Syn08 is a professional who is correct. Andrea is a mere hobbyist (his words) in order to try and allow him to make extreme claims without having to actually prove and defend them.

What was never established was what level of jitter exists in the recorded material to begin with, and then what level actually does make an audible difference. That is something for Andrea to prove, or his supporters.

I know from my own direct knowledge that the digital recording devises used standard crystals to begin with, with performance no better than 10 exp -6 for accuracy. I worked on that equipment for years, so yes I know from first hand experience. My own bench test equipment is substantially better than that, and I am locked to the GPS system. I'm 6 orders of magnitude better as a result (at least).

The inherit jitter already in your recorded material can't be fixed. The best you can do is preserve that without any further degradation. Clocks better than the original won't help you. After that, the question is, how much jitter can you actually hear? I don't know if it has been studied, but I sincerely doubt you could possible detect the standard crystal's jitter. Given that the base frequencies are in the MHz and divided down, the levels of jitter are tiny.

So, the rest is an argument from people who want to believe something not supported by the math or physics. Okay, cool. You can support any point of view from material somewhere on the net. I'm all for improving performance of audio equipment, but only to the point where its just wasted money past that. If it makes you feel better, okay. Fine. But don't make claims that cannot be supported, and it is really stupid to attack someone who actually does know a lot about clocks such as Syn08 and others. You might dislike him, but he is correct. Period.

The perfect clock for improving digital audio is flawed. Nice thought, but flawed. Try and figure out what is a realistic limit first, then figure out what the normal levels in equipment are. After that the answer is simple. Is an improvement needed to begin with? I don't know, but for sure you do not require a clock to perform at the levels being claimed here. Common sense is your best friend here. Before arguing, try to educate yourself first.

Did you know that some people here believe you were paid off by another member who sells stuff here to help get rid of Andrea? The story goes that the person paying you and others was losing money because of Andrea measuring flaws in equipment being sold.

Yes, I have heard this story, and more. If some people are [insert your favorite expletive here] enough to believe such drivel, then I have not other option than to bow and pray for their souls on the Sunday service. Otherwise, I could not care less about.

Well, Syn08 is a professional who is correct

Quick correction, I am not a professional. While I do have a solid education in Solid State Physics and EE, I have never professed in these areas (as a designer or anything remotely similar) except a short period during and after graduation, in the very early '80s, as an analog IC designer.

Otherwise, I am sure you are paid by the same nefarious member to promote his business and eliminate his competition :rofl:.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Syn08,
Well, from what I know of test equipment design and what is important in the lab, you know all you need to. When you're right, you're right.

Most other arguments in this thread do not have any basis in physics. So what is needed by those who want to take issue is some basic understanding of how electronic oscillators work for starters, and common sense who really help. Alas, in audio, many points of view are more faith based than anything else. Those are the ones that scream the loudest.

Well, Syn08 is a professional who is correct. Andrea is a mere hobbyist (his words) in order to try and allow him to make extreme claims without having to actually prove and defend them.....................................................................................................................

How can a person "wise" like you can not hear the difference between a crystal standart and the work of Andrea?

Anyway no more interest here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.