The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well noticed ! These double coil latch RF relays were on stock so I ordered 6 pieces. When delivery came, it was only 4 and 2 in backlog for November or so. I really wanted to move on, so I added a normal double coil latch relay in parallel to the PCB design. Space no issue. So the fun could continue :cool:

When the backlog will be delivered, I will desolder the Omron ones and put the Panasonic tin boxes to their final destination :D

Thanks Andrea for your support. All boards are ready and working now.

Curious as always, I wondered if the doublers are very critical in their tuning, so what I did is measuring the 44.1 family (I did not do al four :rolleyes: ) with a sine wave generator as input to the doubler with the same pk-pk voltage as I measured from the output from the WTMC clock boards.

The output connected to my scope measuring the pk to pk output voltage (with 50 Ohm load)

I varied the frequency to generate a table/plot of frequency vs output voltage and looking for an "optimum" where the voltage is at its maximum

To be honest I thought it would be very critical, but as you see the doublers works perfectly on a somewhat broader frequency spectrum. I guess the figures and plot speak for it self.

Two Questions to Andrea, as you see the optimum is not 100% at the FS frequency:

1. Does that matter in any way?
2. If so, and performance could be improved, where to tune ?

:

Repeat measurements with some cover and isolation from "light" and other emisions. At th top and the bottom. Some copper plaes maybe. And comprare resilts? :)

Last edited:
You aready have all of the measuring set up and it is not a big effort to try to compare with sheild?
Somehow i spot thet "naked" boards with passive elements (L or xfrm particulary) reacts with artificial light source ususaly only few meters from test place. Sometimes is smaller distance. I spot it when I measured some passive HF fliters for dac end. So I persume that could be a lot more sensitive this MCK boards exposed?
Another thing once i measured with a scope transformer core (EI type) that forms power supply for some master clock. Strange thing is that at the transformer core was MCK F detected. I cant remember now but I think that MCK "returns" back some HF in line and/or to chasses. Some friend also check this at his different setup and was the same
I think that battery power is good way to supply the MCK boards. And separate pack for each used MCK board. In that case there will be no "mixing" each other and with rest of the PS units in power line. (I informed Andrea about this and He has agree with that.)

I will post further results here on my Arduino Andrea Mori clock switch project.

All tests were 100% functional, so time to start building in a chassis
I ordered a chassis from Modushop and have one question to the community here for opinions:

the Chassis will be connected to safety earth as all my chassis. Now I have two options:

1. connect the clock ground also to the chassis (Ground loop to the DAC basically)
2. Leave the clock isolated from the chassis - now the clock ground is only connected to the SinePI ground (Clean side FiFoPi) through the SMA coax cable

I tend to do 2. but grounding is always a very difficult topic and I would like to hear some opinions or even experience from other clock owners?

thanks
doede

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I'm just a end user, not in the business or even the DIY hobby so I have near zero experience.

All of this tech on this site is super intimidating, but Andrea made me feel welcome even though I'm a total noob. Andrea is super understanding and one of the kindest fellas I have interacted online. I would not have the courage to explore new tech frontiers if not for his support.

I will post further results here on my Arduino Andrea Mori clock switch project.

1. connect the clock ground also to the chassis (Ground loop to the DAC basically)
2. Leave the clock isolated from the chassis - now the clock ground is only connected to the SinePI ground (Clean side FiFoPi) through the SMA coax cable

I tend to do 2. but grounding is always a very difficult topic and I would like to hear some opinions or even experience from other clock owners?

thanks
doede
I always do 2 as well Doede and have done so on all clock builds.
I have 3 DAC's with Andrea's clocks and I have had no issues so far :cheers:

*** If you don't care about a listening report, kindly skip this post. ***

I was visiting a friend with a world class audio system. Five way time aligned horn speakers, class A amplification, except for the 24,000 Watt sub amplifiers. Digital oversampling crossover fed to one of Ian's MCFIFO for I2S LVDS distribution to the six custom DACs all in a listening room larger than my entire living space. You get the idea. We listened too some of the most involving, glorious music I have ever experienced. In truth I couldn't imagine how to improve the sound if that were even possible. Then we substituted a 24.576 Mhz Well Tempered clock and doubler combination, so not the best version, but the higher frequency was required due to the oversampling equalization.

Well no words will suffice to express our joy at the transformation. The singer was embodied with a palpable 3D quality. The pace, timing, integrity of the rhythm remained unperturbed by variations of dynamics and instrumentation of the lead. Clarity to the cymbals, enveloping natural reverb with layers upon layers of depth.

All I really want to say is thank you to all involved and I hope each of you find enjoyment in this wonderful hobby of ours. Truly a great time to listen.

I didn’t want to say which clock was replaced so as not to make anyone think it was bad. It was actually quite good compared to others but being a small 14 pin dip size and under $100 cost perhaps not really a fair comparison. Suffice it to say a better clock is very obvious and reclocking with audio related frequencies is far better than improving network USB interface clock which was also explored earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.