The Weather

I'm curious, where in Scotland did you get down to -27? That's positively Canadian! Here the record low is -29 one February, but that's very rare. Of course out west and up north it gets a lot colder.

Never mind, I googled it. Record low of -27 twice, once in the Grampians in 1982 and once in Altnaharrah in 1995. I think we still get below -20 more often than "old" Scotland, though it is rare here. Last time we got down to -25C that I remember it cost me a new ceiling, new floor, and new walls when a pipe burst (daughter left bedroom window open at night).

Once in Lake Placid and once in Cleveland I was out and about when it was -30C or perhaps even a bit colder. Once in a bit further north I was out when both C & F were the same.

The rule was once it got below -20F it felt the same even if it got colder. But the 30-30-30 rule was serious. At 30 below at 30% humidity and I think it also called for a 30MPH wind exposed flesh freezes solid in 30 seconds.

Only once when a mere lad did I ever get a smàll patch of frost bite on my fingers.

Now my standard cold weather kit got up graded a few years back. New down parka, cashmere sweater, face mask, long johns and full sleeve under shirt and gloves covered by mittens. The hand warmers packs can be loaded into the mittens but quite honestly they really don't get going when it is that cold.

Working outside in stadiums in the winter sometimes ain't so much fun.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I'm curious, where in Scotland did you get down to -27? That's positively Canadian! Here the record low is -29 one February, but that's very rare. Of course out west and up north it gets a lot colder.[/QUOTE

Near Braemar, the west tends to be wet, eastern Scotland get a lot more dry sunny weather but in winter that can mean very cold peak lows!
Last Monday we had +16C. Last night we had -8.7C - the weather is getting crazier lately!

I'd rather our weather than Konzentr8s though -- dead still, unbroken sunny days with the air so clear with all the moisture frozen out of it -- lovely walking weather as long as you wrap up!

Last edited:
This morning's weather report told us that it was -12°C in Braemar, but +13°C in Swanage. A difference of 25Cdegrees on one small island !

We had a freezing fog overnight and that built up a thick layer of frost on the car roof before I went to bed.

It was -5°C here this morning when the electric power failed again. Oh, no heating. But it came back on after only 5minutes.

It's now up to -1°C and completely windless. All the turbines are stationary. So much for cheap electricity.

Well, only a few K from Swanage it IS very mild but p***ing down with rain from the remnants of Storm Angus.

Many of the hurricanes which brew in the Gulf and spiral across the Atlantic end up fizzling out over the British West Coast.

It has been the most beautiful Autumn Fall I have ever seen in 45 years of living here - this is on the road between Poole and Blandford Forum.

Attachments

• Rings autumn.jpg
    Rings autumn.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 103